Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 23 Jul 2010 (Friday) 11:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it true there are no new ideas?

k8et
251 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 23, 2010 11:10 |  #1

I have started some plotting and planning of something I'd like to do with my photography, that I think is a little unique. Nothing is launched yet, as I am planning my wedding in October (and will launch with my married name sometime after that.)

I just stumbled on someone who started a very similar concept, though rather than having it be a business service, it's an online blog where they encourage people to do this themselves and take photos to share communally, regardless of the camera or experience with photography.

It's not quite the same, so I feel pretty confident there's room for both of us in the world (and who knows who else has had this idea... not very googleable...)

but now I wonder if I need to consciously make sure that nothing I do appears to be copying them? (I've started my groundwork well before learning about them today, but they started late 2008.) Should I befriend them online and join up, being open about my plans? Pretend they don't exist? :P

I see no money in what they are doing, though if they are successful enough they could sell ad space on their blog....

ETA - title is sarcastic by the way :P I know it can't be THAT unique an idea, but it may be a good niche for me.

Flickr (snapshots) - k8et (external link)
Portfolio - Katie Gould Photography (external link)
Canon Rebel XTi, 18-55mm kit lens, 50mm 1.8 lens, 55-250 F/4-5.6 IS, Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, 430EXII & 580EXII flashes
Lomography film cameras: Fisheye and Colorsplash

sponsored links
jdouglas003
392 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 23, 2010 14:20 |  #2

All I can say is WTF.

http://www.movingexpos​ure.com (external link)
Portrait, Event, Sports Phtography (external link)

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,390 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 23, 2010 14:26 |  #3

There are very few truly new ideas, IMO, though there may be some tweaks and personal touches you can add. The main difference is doing what you do well.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

k8et
THREAD ­ STARTER
251 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 23, 2010 14:44 |  #4

Well WTF all you like, no one made you read or reply. :P

I figure out of all the people who have a photo business in this forum, someone must have been through a similar circumstance, and I wanted to commiserate with them and ask advice.

Photoguy, thanks for your reply! It's tough when you think you do have something new and then find it already out there, but I still plan on doing it my way as it would be mine, and therefore unique. Had this happened on a crappy day, I'd be much more bummed about it.

But it's Friday, and I'm in a great mood despite this, and determined to have it help me focus more on why and how I'll put my plans into action.

I just wonder if it makes sense to socially enter into this already formed group (which is open to any and all who want to participate), or if business wise I should keep myself separate.

Say for example someone thought of boudoir photo shoots for money before anyone ever heard of them. Then they found a group of online people encouraging each other to do home boudoir shoots themselves for free.

Would the common interest be a good reason to participate with them? Could they learn something from the amateurs in the group? (Not necessarily photo wise, but about the experience of boudoir shoots and how their clients will feel?)

Or would participating be viewed as trolling for customers? Would the originators take issue with someone doing a similar thing for money, and possibly even argue that they thought of it first?

It's just the thoughts going through my head about this situation, I very well may do nothing with it. But I was just curious if anyone else could relate.

My idea is not extremely googleable, as I came up with a term for it (so did they) but there's really no terminology that is the obvious choice. And yeah, I'm not really gonna share it all here until mine is launched. Because of the delay before I can devote any serious time to it, I'm not looking to hand out an idea to someone who could be quicker than me!

(And yes, I'm fully aware there will be copycats off of me if this works at all, that's not my question - how to create my vision without being a copycat or appearing to be is the point here.)

Canon Rebel XTi, 18-55mm kit lens, 50mm 1.8 lens, 55-250 F/4-5.6 IS, Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, 430EXII & 580EXII flashes

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,446 posts
Gallery: 390 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 23, 2010 14:51 |  #5

Unless you tell us the niche you are trying to create/fill its hard for us to answer. Of course if you do tell us, then any thoughts of exclusivity are gone. But while I might have put it a bit more subtly than WTF you left out enough information that nobody can really answer.

griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 23, 2010 15:02 |  #6

gonzogolf wrote in post #10590896 (external link)
Unless you tell us the niche you are trying to create/fill its hard for us to answer. Of course if you do tell us, then any thoughts of exclusivity are gone. But while I might have put it a bit more subtly than WTF you left out enough information that nobody can really answer.

I have to second this. But all I'm getting from this:

I just stumbled on someone who started a very similar concept, though rather than having it be a business service, it's an online blog where they encourage people to do this themselves and take photos to share communally, regardless of the camera or experience with photography.

Would lead me to believe you're wanting to make a paid membership only forum. Sort of like this site, but charging for it. There's nothing to stop you from doing that, and I don't see why the other online blog people would matter at all. I would just ignore them if you plan to do what they're doing but charge for it.

k8et
THREAD ­ STARTER
251 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 23, 2010 15:02 |  #7

Oh I know. I had hoped for personal experience stories from the other side of similar circumstances.

Obviously no one can answer what's right for me, or the situation exactly if I left out details, but that's ok too! I'm sure I'll be back with more specific questions later on once things are rolling.

I know this isn't uncommon in many creative areas, so I just expected the thread to start some conversations, not to solve all my problems overnight :P

k8et
THREAD ­ STARTER
251 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 23, 2010 15:08 |  #8

Griptape - no, that's not the case at all.

Me: providing a service that's part photography, part entertainment/social..​.. getting paid, providing images.

Them: people who want to do something similar, planning meet ups, photographing themselves (any level of camera/photographic knowledge is encouraged, the focus is on the event as a whole for the participants, not just creating photos.)

In my boudoir analogy, it would be women gathering to take pictures for their significant other or themselves, to help with self esteem issues. Where I would be paid to "run the show", theirs is a free gathering of friends (or strangers from online) to do it themselves.

Both focus on the photoshoot as a, shall we say, growth experience. Mine would provide higher quality images for a fee as a result of it.

Does that help any? :P

Off work now, possibly will pop in over the weekend, or see you next week.

Thanks for those who take the time to read and chat!

griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 23, 2010 15:16 |  #9

So you want to start a photography club... A lot of photography clubs have annual membership fees. Maybe I'm just missing something here... Anyone wanna help me out?

k8et
THREAD ­ STARTER
251 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 23, 2010 16:42 |  #10

Sorry not sure how to make it clearer. I would be paid for a photoshoot. They are people who meet up to do their own amatuer photoshoot. The part in common, the theme of the experience, could be compared to boudoir shoots for conversation purposes here.

They are the ones offering the "club" of sorts -free to anyone.

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 23, 2010 17:40 |  #11

Not the clearest explanation...but you're having them come do their own photos at a "social gathering" of sorts, then for better photos you're charging them...that doesn't make much sense at all, "good enough" photos they did themselves would suffice, just like it does in most other areas of photography.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,390 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 23, 2010 17:49 |  #12

Basically, you're leading a photo workshop.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback

k8et
THREAD ­ STARTER
251 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 26, 2010 10:25 |  #13

No, I am not teaching photography, it's not a photo workshop....

And yes, I'd be charging for better photos, but also for helping with ideas and running the night.

Sorry, I don't understand why there's a disconnect between what I'm saying and what you are understanding, and I'm not positive sharing the actual idea would help any when the boudoir comparison was a fairly accurate one.

I'll just let it drop now. Thanks for trying.

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,390 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 26, 2010 10:43 |  #14

Seems to me the disconnect is due to your vagueness. If you're going to give virtually no information, you're going to get imperfect responses. I wish you success, but that will depend in part on being more personable than you have been in this thread when people didn't respond as you wanted.

griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 26, 2010 12:02 |  #15

I would think the problem is with me not understanding except for the fact that no one else seems to understand either. Best of luck anyhow.

sponsored links

2,066 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it true there are no new ideas?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.