Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Jul 2010 (Saturday) 17:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I need help (Nikon 14-24 vs Zeiss 21 ZE)

luigis
Goldmember
1,399 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 24, 2010 17:04 |  #1

Hi Friends,

I decided I can't make my mind about this decision.
I'm torn between a Nikon 14-24 + adapter or the Zeiss 21mm Ze for my 5DII.

My main use are landscapes & astrophotography (night landscapes).

I seriously need help, put me in the right direction whatever that is.

Luis

www.luisargerich.com (external link)
Landscape Photography & Astrophotography
Follow me on Twitter (external link)
My Awesome Gear List

sponsored links
plasticmotif
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 24, 2010 17:24 |  #2

luigis wrote in post #10596381 (external link)
Hi Friends,

I decided I can't make my mind about this decision.
I'm torn between a Nikon 14-24 + adapter or the Zeiss 21mm Ze for my 5DII.

My main use are landscapes & astrophotography (night landscapes).

I seriously need help, put me in the right direction whatever that is.

Luis

Good luck with the adapter.

Mac P.
My Zenfolio (external link) My Photo Blog (external link) My Equipment
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14172975#po​st14172975

luigis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,399 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 24, 2010 17:25 |  #3

plasticmotif wrote in post #10596477 (external link)
Good luck with the adapter.

Can you be less enigmatic please? :rolleyes:

www.luisargerich.com (external link)
Landscape Photography & Astrophotography
Follow me on Twitter (external link)
My Awesome Gear List

sangjiny
760 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 24, 2010 17:49 |  #4

If you need 14-20mm range, go with Nikon, if not, go with Zeiss?

Leica M9
Pentax 645D
Rolleiflex 2.8FX
Mamiya 7
Zeiss ZI Ikon

MikeJohn
109 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 24, 2010 18:45 |  #5

I just made that choice...............t​he 14-24 over the Zeiss.
I owned the 14-24 and a D700, what a great lens. I really wanted to try the Zeiss on my 1DIII but zooms work better for me, especially one with the IQ of the 14-24.
I have an adapter on order from 16:9, I hope to get it before I die.

Mike

Sony RX100, Canon S90, 1DMKIV, 5D MKIII, 16-35 II, 24-105, 70-200 II, 100-400, 300 f2.8, 1.4x III, 580EXII

LamontSanders
894 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 24, 2010 20:09 as a reply to  @ MikeJohn's post |  #6

I have owned the Nikon and I sold it due to lack of use/need of funds. I am planning a pretty extensive trip in the western part of the country so a wide lens is mandatory. The Nikon was pretty good, but I think I will be going with the Zeiss this time. It captures detail/color/contrast better in my opinion. I have to admit that I was unimpressed with the Nikon's corners, but I think that is a result of just how awesomely wide it is. Compromises are mandatory in photography. Color-wise, the nikon is very good. Overall optically...I guess I would give it an 8/10 using my Zeiss 100/2 as a reference 10/10. It is pretty sharp, it has good contrast. I don't think it delivers the "3D Zeiss" look that a lot of people appreciate (myself included). This is a difficult choice because if you are willing to sacrifice versatility you get absolute image and detail quality...if you can sacrifice a little (not much) IQ you get absolute versatility. The nikon is a large lens, but it is not as bad as some people make it out to be. One more thing to consider is the availability of filters. Zeiss can handle filters like a champ, Nikon can handle 0 without some apparatus. The Zeiss has a very close MFD, which can provide some interesting perspectives. The Zeiss lens is a little smaller but is very solid. The zeiss lens with it's hood on just looks very "darth vader" to me. The 16-9 adapter can take some time to arrive, but I understand the newest one is pretty solid. I had a V1 adapter and it was alright. I know people will say "oh these are totally diferent lenses!" but for a lot of us they fall in the same category. We are looking for something wider than our 24-70/105L lens. Versatility or absolute IQ? The TS-E lenses are also something to consider - they are excellent as well. Good luck with your selection, you can't go wrong. FWIW you should check out the Zeiss 21 thread, look for snowboarder's stuff. There is one photo with a large fin-like rock formation at sunset that convinced me that the Zeiss was the lens for me...it's probably the best photo I have ever seen from one of the best landscape photographers around. Good luck!

5DS R | 1Ds Mark III | Canon 16-35mm F/4L IS | Canon 24-70mm F/4L IS | Canon 70-200mm F/4L | Canon 50mm F/1.8 STM | Sigma 24-35mm F/2.0 Art | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 |
flickr (external link) | Old flickr (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 24, 2010 21:00 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

I think 21mm on a full frame is pretty wide. Need a zoom, on a wide angle lens? I see no reasons to get the Nikon unless you need wider than 21mm. Besides, Nikon lens on a Canon body???? :) That's so wrong on so many levels.....It complicates things a bit than necessary.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

plasticmotif
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 24, 2010 21:13 |  #8

luigis wrote in post #10596488 (external link)
Can you be less enigmatic please? :rolleyes:

The waiting list was at 2 years or something. I doubt they'll ever get all the orders out. His websites not being updated regularly nor their forums being posted on.

Get the ZE 21 and a samyang 14. Both are great lenses. The 14-24 is amazing for sure, but the ZE is just as good and smaller.

Mac P.
My Zenfolio (external link) My Photo Blog (external link) My Equipment
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14172975#po​st14172975

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,383 posts
Gallery: 565 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 24, 2010 21:17 |  #9

I'd get the Zeiss...

If I had a full frame camera that lens would be my wide go-to for most things...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

Potisdad
667 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 24, 2010 22:25 as a reply to  @ KenjiS's post |  #10

Since you are obviously ok with manual focus, why not the Canon 24 mm TS-E MkII? It is supposedly sharper than both the Zeiss and Nikon....

David

sangjiny
760 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 24, 2010 23:39 |  #11

I would like to see how IQ from 24L TS MKII stacks up against ZE 21mm.. From what I've seen, these two are head to head in IQ.

Potisdad wrote in post #10597728 (external link)
Since you are obviously ok with manual focus, why not the Canon 24 mm TS-E MkII? It is supposedly sharper than both the Zeiss and Nikon....

Leica M9
Pentax 645D
Rolleiflex 2.8FX
Mamiya 7
Zeiss ZI Ikon

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,383 posts
Gallery: 565 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 24, 2010 23:50 |  #12

sangjiny wrote in post #10598015 (external link)
I would like to see how IQ from 24L TS MKII stacks up against ZE 21mm.. From what I've seen, these two are head to head in IQ.

Not really, the Zeiss is horrible at 24mm and the Canon doesnt even put in a performance worthy of mention at 21...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

Jam.radonc
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 25, 2010 00:35 |  #13

For astrophotography you might give a look at the 24L II. I'm not sure if the Zeiss is fast enough for light gathering capability. I agree there's too much vignetting at f1.4 for the Canon but at f2.0 it's not so shabby.

Jam
5D3 | 450D | Panasonic DMC-LX3 | 430 EX II | ST-E2
24-70 L II | 50L | 50 1.8 I | 100L | Zeiss 35/2 ZE | Zeiss 85/2.8 | Zeiss 135/3.5
[COLOR="Silver"]Sold: 17-40L | 24L II | 85L II | 135L | Sigma 50/1.4 | 5D2

sponsored links

4,851 views & 0 likes for this thread
I need help (Nikon 14-24 vs Zeiss 21 ZE)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.