Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 26 Jul 2010 (Monday) 14:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buying through Amazon.com ?

dennykyser
964 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jul 26, 2010 14:05 |  #1

Since I do not have a dealer with in 90 minutes of me, I normally order my equipment through B&H or Midwest Photo Exchange, both offer great service.
I decided to purchase the Canon 300 2.8 IS lens and when I checked Amazon was $120.00 cheaper, and $3.99 next day shipping, had I went with BH next day would have been $50.00 more.

I believe I have ordered lenses from Amazon before, and they have came with the USA warranty, as long as it does, its a USA product not Grey Market correct. I am assuming Amazon would NOT sell grey market, if that is the case will return and buy from B&H.

Not sure if anyone else has ever purchased lenses, or cameras from Amazon before or not.

Denny

Gear
Website (external link)
SportsShooters (external link)
MaxPreps (external link)

sponsored links
dKweddings.net
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 26, 2010 14:07 |  #2

Amazon lens are most likely NOT gray market lens. However, make sure you're buying directly from Amazon and not a 3rd party vendor that is selling on amazon's site.

Also, check out this thread if you're interested in buying items on ebay for much less: (USA warranty as well!):

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=896950

-David

www.dKweddings.net (external link) || www.facebook.com/dKwed​dings (external link) || www.facebook.com/david​ucla (external link)

bob_r
Goldmember
2,426 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 26, 2010 14:10 |  #3

I've bought lenses from Amazon without any problems. Sometimes Adorama lists their lenses and other products through Amazon cheaper than they have them listed on their own site. I order quite a bit from Adorama and usually check to see it they have it listed cheaper at Amazon.

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

waterman
39 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 26, 2010 14:11 |  #4

I bought a lens and 580EX through Amazon without any problem, though I have never spen't $$$ as much as paying for your 300/2.8.. Congrats on the new lens.. and yes, they are not grey market

Sledhed
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 26, 2010 14:24 |  #5

Canonga has it for $4319.94, it is currently oos though. I have purchased items from them in the past and have always had very good service.

http://www.canogacamer​a.com/default.aspx (external link)

Chris
Gear List | Website (external link) | Sports Sample Pictures (external link) | Four Seam Images (external link)

If you’re good at something, never do it for free. - The Joker

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 26, 2010 15:04 |  #6

Make sure the item is not from a 3rd party using Amazon to sell. Otherwise I'd say go for it since I've had great experiences buying electronics from Amazon. They usually give me free 2 day shipping :)

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

Goodlistener
109 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 26, 2010 15:21 |  #7

Amazon has worked very well for me over and over again. My only hesitation is that somehow, the brick and mortar retail places need to be kept in business and available to us for hands-on browsing.

dennykyser
THREAD ­ STARTER
964 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jul 26, 2010 15:28 as a reply to  @ Goodlistener's post |  #8

I agree to the 3rd Party listings, I do watch for that and only buy from Amazon if its a high ticket item. This was the best price I could find, and love the $399.00 next day delivery.

I have even ordered an air compressor and got next day delivery for that price, I have no clue how they can afford to do it, but I love it. I hate to wait, especially on my camera gear, I want it yesterday.

Gear
Website (external link)
SportsShooters (external link)
MaxPreps (external link)

l89kip
582 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 26, 2010 15:30 |  #9

Amazon is very good. I have zero problems with them so far. I ordered many items, not just photo gears from them. I only returned one non-photo item to them so far. They asked no questions and paid for return shipping.

Besides, Amazon has a 30 day return policy, compared with B&H or Adorama.

Gear: 7D II, 6D | EF-S 17-55 | 35/2, 85/1.8, 35 L,100L,135L, 24-70L II, 24-105L, 70-200 F/4L IS, Sigma 150-600 C | 580 EX II, 270 EX II

l89kip
582 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 26, 2010 15:31 |  #10

Oh, I am leery of the third party listings. I only ordered some minor/low cost items from third party listings from Amazon.

Gear: 7D II, 6D | EF-S 17-55 | 35/2, 85/1.8, 35 L,100L,135L, 24-70L II, 24-105L, 70-200 F/4L IS, Sigma 150-600 C | 580 EX II, 270 EX II

Daedalus34r
477 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 26, 2010 15:54 |  #11

ive ordered all my gear through amazon, they typically have the best price on gear (at least in my experience). No hassles, no worries, fast shipping, full warranty (not a grey market)

BODY :: EOS 7D, EOS 50D
GLASS :: 17-55 f/2.8 , 50 f/1.4 , 70-200 f/4L IS, 150 f/2.8 EX Macro , 10-20 f/4-5.6 EX , 30 f/1.4 EX
EXTRAS :: 430EX II , Kata R-103 Bag , Tenba Messenger Bag :: WISH LIST :: 100 f/2
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro Review

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 26, 2010 16:40 |  #12

Goodlistener wrote in post #10606669 (external link)
Amazon has worked very well for me over and over again. My only hesitation is that somehow, the brick and mortar retail places need to be kept in business and available to us for hands-on browsing.

The ones who aren't screwing the consumer will remain the rest need to go like Best Buy who has become the new Circuit City. Just about anything you buy there can be negotiated because they have such high markup. It depends on what you buy as computers for example bring low profits while accessories are where they make the money. Also it depends on the manager but if you are spending real money they are usually willing to bend if that's what it takes.

Amazon, Newegg, Adorama, B&H these guys deserve the business because they work to move serious volume and share the savings with us the consumers. Just look at companies like Ritz Camera they had to close a bunch of stores and still the prices remain high as ever. The sales staff in many of their stores also have zero knowledge of anything other then how to sell overpriced products. If companies like Amazon went away tomorrow nearly every retail store would raise its prices overnight.

Also many people don't realize but when you buy online from Best Buy, Walmart, Home Depot or whatever these days you are still not supporting the stores. The online side is typically setup as separate entity under the same umbrella to avoid the brick tax which they would have to charge if the stores were connected. Yet still almost none of the big box stores match the prices or give the free shipping Amazon and others give unless you spend more then double the money.

I buy some things in stores like furniture and appliances because i like to touch and feel. But other things which are the same everywhere i buy online because i like to save a bundle. Newegg is great they don't give me hassles with returns and Amazon replaced an order the postal service lost but had claimed was delivered. I was pretty surprised but they told me not to worry about it and if the original order ever did show up to just send it back. You don't get that type of service from brick stores but that will be changing soon if the profit hungry giants want to keep food on the table.

nightcat
Goldmember
4,512 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 26, 2010 18:52 |  #13

Amazon, Canoga, Adorama, B&H, Norman Camera, are all great. I'd pass on Newegg. They shipped me a lens and forget to pack it. So the lens banged around in the box for 600 miles! All the others mentioned are professional stores who know how to pack an item firmly, so its protected during shipping.

l89kip
582 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 26, 2010 19:06 |  #14

newegg.com is fine so far with me. But it imposes restocking fees for some items. So be careful.

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 26, 2010 20:22 |  #15

Almost all of my gear is from Amazon or through them from places like Beach Camera and Adorama. Zero problems (knock on wood).

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

sponsored links

1,010 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buying through Amazon.com ?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.