Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 27 Jul 2010 (Tuesday) 07:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anybody made the jump - Digital Rebel to Micro 4/3rds

Lightstream
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 27, 2010 07:15 |  #1

Yup yup.....I am considering selling out. I have a tremendously well loved 350D and 17-85 combo that has simply not stood the test of time well. At slightly over a kilo (2.2 pounds), it isn't that small a rig either. My eyes are feeling the pinch from the viewfinder, the LCD is tiny. The 17-85 was never really renowned as a spectacular performer, and time has caught up with, and left the poor 350D behind.

I'm thinking of selling the 350D and 17-85 and migrating to a Micro 4/3rds rig. The Panasonic GF-1 and 14-45 looks like just the ticket. Nice generous LCD for framing, decent kit lens (software corrected I know), feels similar to the Panasonic LX3 I already have and love.

Has anybody else here tried this and what were your experiences like?

(and before the pitchforks and firebrands come out, I am not abandoning the EOS system: I'm STILL as L-coholic as they come and my pair of 5D's.. yes, a pair, are not going anywhere soon - NOTHING comes close to my signature 24-105/5DMk2 combo for serious work :D - pity it weighs more than 3x that of the MFT system I am considering for light duty :D)

sponsored links
k8et
251 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 27, 2010 10:17 |  #2

I have the Rebel XTi. I'm eyeing the 4/3rds systems as an alternative to getting a new point and shoot as a compact/lightweight setup to carry around more often. And I'm hoping to upgrade the rebel to a FF down the line :P

Haven't done much research, but in our wedding registry we have a "honeymoon" registry, where people give money that is designated for a purpose. (IE, people can give us an expensive dinner, and we use the money for that on the trip. It's a little more personable than just cash.) I included a gift for a point and shoot, as well as a gift (which has been purchased!) for a video camera. If we get both, I'm hoping to get a micro 4/3rds with video capability. :D But I guess I need to ask my fiance first :P

Flickr (snapshots) - k8et (external link)
Portfolio - Katie Gould Photography (external link)
Canon Rebel XTi, 18-55mm kit lens, 50mm 1.8 lens, 55-250 F/4-5.6 IS, Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, 430EXII & 580EXII flashes
Lomography film cameras: Fisheye and Colorsplash

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,471 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 27, 2010 10:39 |  #3

If the Olympus EP-1 and Ep-2 had a reflex viewer rather than P&S arms-length LCD viewing or the electronic viewfinder attachment, and had at least an APS-C sized sensor, I would be all over it in a heartbeat. I loved the compact size and the lighter weight of the Olympus OM systems cameras and lenses, compared to the dSLR brutes (even 350 is a brute in comparison to OM) we have today. Unfortunately the Four Third format cameras do not equal Canon or current Nikon for low noise with high ISO performance.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,513 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 27, 2010 10:47 |  #4

I don't think I could ever rely on an LCD as a viewfinder since they're pretty much useless in daylight.

gkarris
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 27, 2010 13:17 |  #5

I have an Olympus E-420 and won't trade it for the world. I started with an E-500 with the kit lenses (14-45 and 40-150).

I got the E-420 for smaller size, then I got a deal on the smaller 14-42 ED, love that and just traded my 40-150 (and the old 14-45) away for the 40-150 ED.

I lugged them around Oshkosh Airventure all day yesterday and glad I brought those instead of a Canon system...

I prefer a "real" SLR with a mirror...

I also love and use Canon - much better in lower light situations (I hate flash)...

Nice about both systems is the ability to use old lenses on them... ;)

Lightstream
THREAD ­ STARTER
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 27, 2010 14:04 |  #6

ahh..... controversy stirred. However, all of you have good points and they are duly noted :)

My P&S is currently a Panasonic LX3, which makes me think, if I can get by on that, I should be able to get by on the GF1 :)

As for real SLRs and real finders, my vote goes to the 5D1, 5D2 and 7D - those finders are awesome. This is coming from someone whose idea of 'finder' extends all the way to the Pentax 645, which dwarfs all the 35mm finders....

sponsored links

4,183 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anybody made the jump - Digital Rebel to Micro 4/3rds
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.