Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 27 Jul 2010 (Tuesday) 07:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

iMacs have been updated! Lets discuss

regnis
456 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 27, 2010 18:37 as a reply to  @ post 10613377 |  #31

Same..mine is absolute bliss!

---Adam--- Facebook (external link)
Canon 1Dx MK II, Canon 5Dmk3 x 2, Sony A7sII, Tamron 24-70 VC, Canon 35 f1.4 II, Zeiss 35-70 f3.4, Sigma 50 f1.4, Canon 70-200 f2.8 II Canon 135L f2, Tamron 150-600 SP VC,

sponsored links
EmmaRose
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 27, 2010 18:38 as a reply to  @ post 10613377 |  #32

Mine had a little flickering in the beginning but solved with software update, has a tiny bit of light leaking from the bottom but only visible on a black screen and most people dont even notice it

Gear. Flickr. (external link)

EmmaRose
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 27, 2010 18:39 |  #33

Well they're usually on laptops so it is useful if you dont have a mouse you want to plug in... desktops always have mice, I really dont understand it

Gear. Flickr. (external link)

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 27, 2010 18:47 |  #34

I constantly wish I had a trackpad on my MP. It will make life easier for me :)

PhotosByT
222 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 27, 2010 23:07 |  #35

bought an iMac on Saturday, and today they launched a new iMac!

uggggg... Not sure where to post this..

But just my luck... I bought an iMac last Saturday and today they launched a new one with faster processor and better graphics card!

So my receipt said I can return within 14 days with a 10% restocking fee!! UGGGG!!

Does anybody have any experience in this? Is there an exception to that rule, since they launched this 3 days after I bought???? :( :(

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 27, 2010 23:17 as a reply to  @ PhotosByT's post |  #36

Just return it, they really should have told you in store, that there was a new model coming.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

booja
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 27, 2010 23:57 as a reply to  @ PhotosByT's post |  #37

you have 30 days to exchange it if you want the new one.

my roommate works for apple and thats what he just told me

PhotosByT
222 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 27, 2010 23:58 |  #38

booja wrote in post #10616052 (external link)

Oh, Thank you!! Thank you!! :) Tell the "genius" thanks! :)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 28, 2010 00:17 as a reply to  @ post 10613377 |  #39

Finally i7, i5, and i3 for iMacs =P

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

dolina
Goldmember
4,880 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 28, 2010 00:26 as a reply to  @ post 10613377 |  #40

I am a bit unhappy with the GPUs

ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM
ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512MB of GDDR3 SDRAM
ATI Radeon HD 5750 with 1GB of GDDR5 SDRAM

Only?

It would have been nice if they offered at least a the following

ATI Radeon HD 5850 0.5GB
ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
ATI Radeon HD 5970 2GB

Would it had killed them to make the memory DIMMs instead of SODIMMs?

Visit my Flickr (external link), Facebook (external link) & 500px (external link) and see my photos. :)

Moppie
15,051 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jul 28, 2010 02:03 |  #41

MaxxuM wrote in post #10613765 (external link)
Performance wise, there isn't much of a bump, but it looks better on paper :)

With each core there is the 'potential' for more work to be done. Imagine people are standing in line at the movie concession-stand (the CPU) - the people represent your software while the register(s) represent the cores. The more registers (cores) you have open the more people (software) can be served and sent on their way. Some computers (Mac Pro) have two concession-stands, each with multiple registers. That's how the Core2Quad and Core2Duo's work. The i series (i3/i7) processors add one more level to this and open 'virtual' cores. In this analogy, you could think of them as those self serve registers. Some software can see all the cores (registers) while others cannot. However, even though some software cannot see every register, the operating system can redirect software (people) to other registers (cores) while the software that cannot see the added cores only use the first one or two registers. So, more often than not, multiple core CPU's can out perform much faster dual core CPUs. Faster dual core's however shine when people are not running several programs at the same time (also called multitasking). That's why games and office productivity software runs equally fast on dual or quad cpus while audio, photo, video and 3d software do much better on quad/dual-quad systems. Hope that makes scenes.

That is the best explanation of multi core processors I think I have ever seen :cool::cool:

Also nice to see the iMac line maturing into something more functional.
The addition of a second drive makes them must better suited to photography. Although they still suffer from a lot of compromises against a proper desktop.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 28, 2010 04:53 |  #42

Seriously considering the 21.5 i5 - i assume it will be enough for photography.27 is big way big - went to see one last night. im on a single core intel imac 20 with 2gb, so I assume ill notice a difference.....

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Jul 28, 2010 05:19 |  #43
bannedPermanent ban

27 monitors are awesome. When you zoom into to 100% you can see so much of your photo.

I'm waiting (sorta) for the Macbook Air processor to be updated (only need a small/light notebook as I do all my work on Mac pros).

joe9047
375 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 28, 2010 05:21 |  #44

booja wrote in post #10616052 (external link)

Is there a "restocking" fee, involved?

Thanks.

Joe
Gear

PhotosByT
222 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 28, 2010 06:37 as a reply to  @ PhotosByT's post |  #45

So I googled this and apparently, apple's official rule is the 14day return with 10% restocking. However, some people were given the opportunity to upgrade within 30 days, no restocking free.. Store manager discretion, so I guess I have to talk to the manager if they give me a hard time!!

sponsored links

7,671 views & 0 likes for this thread
iMacs have been updated! Lets discuss
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.