Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Jul 2010 (Wednesday) 07:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My 7D / 50D situation...

bsp
964 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 28, 2010 07:26 |  #1

Ok, so I cannot understand why I am really asking myself this question, but is the 7D too much for me considering my shooting style and subjects? I think I keep asking because I was up for the 50D then I talked myself into the 7D for these reasons.

1. Newer technology = tech improvements as with anything new
2. Better AF system
3. FPS sounded good
4. Figured if I got it I would not want to look back and would not regret it

And now that I have it here are the reasons I find myself questioning it...

1. Money in the bank - would save over $500 by dropping back to the 50D
2. My main shooting subjects are nature & landscape
3. My lenses may be holding me back (see gear) when paired with the 7D?
4. Have learned the ins and outs of the improved AF and not really sure if any of the benefits are applied to me since I don't shoot fast moving subjects that require super fast AF tracking.

I need some help and maybe a sanity check. I am still somewhat of a beginner when it comes to the finer controls of a camera, but am I over thinking this? Or would a 50D do the trick for me just as well as the 7D when it comes to my shooting style and subjects? I shoot for hobby only, not really an every day type just on the weekends and stuff like that.

Oh, and I know that there may be a few people that will tell me to go FF and all that, I don't want to seem rude but I really just want to know the difference in these two cameras as I would like to make a decision soon as to whether to jump on the 50D or not.

Take it easy on me, I know this type of comparison has been made before but I have read all the threads comparing and ISO tests and indoor shots and all that really make it difficult for me to see a real world type scenario comparison. I have searched for this answer all over the web, you guys seems to have the most knowledge, and without further typing by me, let's hear what you have to say!

-Brian

Brian
Gear & Feedback

sponsored links
JoYork
Goldmember
3,079 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 28, 2010 07:41 |  #2

Both the 50d and 7d are excellent cameras. Either would be more than suitable for your needs. Even a Rebel would have been suitable for your needs.

If you mainly shoot nature and landscapes then investing in a decent tripod sounds a sensible thing to do, and also a GND filter kit. Also think about accessories such as a decent camera bag and so on.

I would also rate lenses higher than camera bodies in the grand scheme of things. An ultra-wide angle lens is a nice thing to have if you're shooting landscapes, and a decent telephoto is useful if you're shooting wildlife.

If money's tight you could sell the 7d and buy a 50d, and put the money towards a new lens. Or, if you're happy with the 7d, go out and shoot with it. The 7d won't make your photos look any better or any worse than they would if you had a 50d... what matters is light, composition, technique, timing, etc. The camera's just a tool to convert the photons into an electrical signal and store it on a card.

Jo
Flickr (external link)

Syntaxxor
243 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 28, 2010 07:45 |  #3

If you can afford it, get the more expensive camera (7D). Always use that logic. Why? What happens when you change styles, or become more profecient, and suddenly realize you need that extra stuff the more expensive one has?! You'll kick yourself for not getting.

I was in a slightly similar, but not as expensive dilemma, I want to upgrade my body, and looked at the 50D and then thought, maybe i don't really need it, and started looking at the T1i and the T2i; but then I realized; I'd hate myself if I didn't get the 50D. (So now I'm saving for it)

||Canon 50D||Canon Rebel XS|| EF-S 18-55MM IS||EF-S 55-250mm IS||EF 50mm 1.8 MK2||EF 28-135MM IS USM||430EX II||

Beanie's ­ Dad
581 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 28, 2010 08:01 |  #4

Well it doesn't sound like you're going to get much use out of the 7D's improved AF, so what else might the 7D give you that's an improvement over the 50D?

Off the top of my head, in no particular order:

- Slightly more cropping power (if the lens is up to the job)
- Slightly better fps (hand held HDR maybe?)
- Better high ISO (quite a bit better I found)
- Functional auto-iso for use with manual exposure (I love this)
- Better shutter longevity (do you shoot that much?)
- Better sealing on the body (not much use without weather sealed lens)
- Aux flash triggering
- Longer battery life
- Video (would you use it?)
- Improved ergonomics (very subjective, but I do prefer the 7D)

Whether these extras are worth it to you is something only you can answer. Sorry for copping out!

5DIII, 5DII, EF24-105, EF 70-200 f4L IS, EF 85 1.8, "Sigmalux" 50 1.4, EF 35 f2, EF17-40 f4L

lensmen
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jul 28, 2010 08:08 as a reply to  @ Beanie's Dad's post |  #5

Interesting to see this thread here.

After having a pre-owned 50D for the past 4 months (and having moved up from SX10IS earlier), I had swapped the 50D set + some cash for a 7D.

Reason :

1. (Beanie's Dad list)

2. The brighter screen + 100% picture view.

3. The resulting photos (dual Digic 4) is stunning.

At 1st I brushed it off when I heard about it earlier, then I saw it with my own eyes. Last week in a holiday trip when a tourmate & I compared shots. He has a 7D & it belongs to his kid. WOW was the comparision. I am speechless

4. The HD video

Not exactly a must have now but I do miss the video clipping of the SX10. Now, I have a new avenue to look at and to convey my story.

5. Future proofing

7D has everything that I yean for (except perhaps a full frame will be good). It should be by my side for a long time to come.

Jimmy
Just my 2 frame's worth :D:D:D
My Gear List
500px album (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
14,675 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 28, 2010 08:24 |  #6

Gotta have glass!

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

lensmen
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jul 28, 2010 08:34 as a reply to  @ windpig's post |  #7

Agreed.

I had almost everything i need, except perhaps for the 100L-IS macro , 70-210 F2.8 MkII or that 600F4L.

Jimmy
Just my 2 frame's worth :D:D:D
My Gear List
500px album (external link)

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 28, 2010 08:43 |  #8

the big differences between the 2 for me are:

• AF
  • FPS
  • video
  • ISOs

nature and landscape don't really NEED any of that. So lenses and the 50D is probably a better bet with your setup. A 50D and 100-400 (used) will be MUCH better than the 7D and 70-300... The 7D is a better camera, but only if you need the FPS, AF, or ISOs of it. The rest are bells and whistles that are great, but not necessary IMHO.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

bsp
THREAD ­ STARTER
964 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 28, 2010 09:38 |  #9

Wow, thanks for all of the replies! I was a little worried I might get flamed over such a redundant topic, but I did feel my situation was a little different and I could not find a solid answer.

To expand a bit more and answer a few of the input statements above...

@ JoYork - I started with a 400d / XTi and recently sold it for the 7D. I have a Manfrotto 055xprob with ballhead and all that so I am set on the tripod situation.

@ all who mentioned that maybe I don't need all of the bells and whistles for landscape - right where I am at, glad my thinking isn't totally odd

I think (and have always thought) that glass was more important than the body. I only moved from the rebel up because of the body size. All else was just included in the package deal of getting a new camera. That being said, if I sold the 7D and got a 50D I could invest in a decent piece of glass, say a 17-40L or UWA and maybe get where I want to be. My major concern is that my lenses are not able to produce the images I want with the higher resolution of the 7D and I cannot foresee getting better lenses in the very near future if I keep the 7D.

Thanks for all the input, keep it coming! I realize most answers will be subjective but I enjoy hearing others thoughts on the subject.

Brian
Gear & Feedback

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 28, 2010 09:44 |  #10

If you're looking to upgrade for your nature and landscape, a used 5D might be a better choice. For me, the 7D is a great sports body due to it's lightning fast AF and 8fps for basketball. The cleaner shots at higher ISO on the 7D is nice, but as someone mentioned, you're not likely to see high ISO numbers if you shoot landscapes and nature shots.

5D and a couple of nice lenses and you'd be really set!

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

bsp
THREAD ­ STARTER
964 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 28, 2010 09:52 |  #11

snyderman wrote in post #10618057 (external link)
If you're looking to upgrade for your nature and landscape, a used 5D might be a better choice. For me, the 7D is a great sports body due to it's lightning fast AF and 8fps for basketball. The cleaner shots at higher ISO on the 7D is nice, but as someone mentioned, you're not likely to see high ISO numbers if you shoot landscapes and nature shots.

5D and a couple of nice lenses and you'd be really set!

dave

I know the 5d would be killer but I don't have the funds really to go 5d and put really nice lenses on it. The Tamron 17-50 that I have produced super sharp images with my XTi but it seems a bit off on the 7D (my guess is due to pixel peeping / resolution issues). I'm really wondering which is better, a 50D with maybe a 10-22 or 17-40, or the 7D with the current Tamron 17-50?

Brian
Gear & Feedback

Sean
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 28, 2010 10:07 |  #12

17-40 isn't an UWA on the 1.6 sensor size, you really need the 10-22 or 11-16 Tokina for that.

Canon 50D - 17-55mm F2.8 IS - 300mm F4L IS - 70-200mm F4L IS - 50mm F1.8 - 580EX II & 430EX - Full Gear Listing
Flickr (external link) - C&C Always welcome.

bsp
THREAD ­ STARTER
964 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 28, 2010 10:10 |  #13

Sean wrote in post #10618221 (external link)
17-40 isn't an UWA on the 1.6 sensor size, you really need the 10-22 or 11-16 Tokina for that.

Yeah I know, just want a complete lineup to not miss anything in the zoom range....thinking Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-40, then maybe 70-200.

I know that leaves the 41-69 range open, don't know how bad that would be...

Brian
Gear & Feedback

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,034 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jul 28, 2010 10:19 as a reply to  @ bsp's post |  #14

I would say that going with the lesser camera and glass would be a wise choice. I was considering the 7D, but went with another 40D so that I could pick up a 400L. Since my main interest is wildlife, this made a lot of sense to me. I get frustrated with the focus tracking on my 40D ocassionally, but have found that it is more than enough camera for my needs in general. I now have two bodies that have identical controls that I am very comfortable with. I can shoot with my 70-200 on one and 400L on another. Or if I'm shooting an event, I'll put the 17-55 on one and 70-200 on the other (I usually rent the Canon IS for events).

I think that it is all about your particular needs and what you like. A lot of people like to have one very good camera with some glass. I like to work with two decent cameras for the added versatility. There seems to be a recent trend where I see people shooting with cameras like the 7D and then a 50mm f/1.8 lens. While this is a good lens for the price, it is hard for me to fathom the logic of going with this choice over buying a cheaper body and a more versatile lens lineup featuring high quality lenses. I don't have the budget to buy expensive bodies and lenses, so it makes more sense to me to build up my lens lineup with my current bodies and then upgrade my camera bodies when I truly feel limited by them. This is one reason that I haven't gone full-frame. It would be nice at times, but I can't really justify the extra costs it would take for me to take that route when I don't really "need" to.

Just a thought from Daniel
Pictures (external link)
Gear

bsp
THREAD ­ STARTER
964 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 28, 2010 10:23 |  #15

40Driggs wrote in post #10618287 (external link)
I would say that going with the lesser camera and glass would be a wise choice. I was considering the 7D, but went with another 40D so that I could pick up a 400L. Since my main interest is wildlife, this made a lot of sense to me. I get frustrated with the focus tracking on my 40D ocassionally, but have found that it is more than enough camera for my needs in general.

I think that it is all about your particular needs and what you like. A lot of people like to have one very good camera with some glass. I like to work with two decent cameras for the added versatility. There seems to be a recent trend where I see people shooting with cameras like the 7D and then a 50mm f/1.8 lens. While this is a good lens for the price, it is hard for me to fathom the logic of going with this choice over buying a cheaper body and a more versatile lens lineup featuring high quality lenses. I don't have the budget to buy expensive bodies and lenses, so it makes more sense to me to build up my lens lineup with my current bodies and then upgrade my camera bodies when I truly feel limited by them. This is one reason that I haven't gone full-frame. It would be nice at times, but I can't really justify the extra costs it would take for me to take that route when I don't really "need" to.

Well this hit the nail on the head ;)

This is my thought also, but I am struggling with letting the 7D go! The 50D is a superb camera from what I hear though.

Brian
Gear & Feedback

sponsored links

6,162 views & 0 likes for this thread
My 7D / 50D situation...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.