Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 28 Jul 2010 (Wednesday) 12:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

This EVIL camera...?

Ross_Curtis
184 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 28, 2010 12:36 |  #1

Obvious this camera is still in the rumours stage and is probably not going to see the light of day until next year.

It got me thinking. Will Canon be producing a dedicated range on lenses to fit on this camera or is it remotely possible the current EF range of lenses could be used?

Personally if it means buying a load more lenses it hold no interest to me; however, if current lenses can be mounted (even by use of an adapter), I would be very interested indeed and I'm sure alot of current DSLR users would too.

I love the idea of a small compact style body with my 24L strapped to it.

6D | 24L II | 50MP | 85L II | 200L II | 16-35L F4 IS | Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 | Markings Q10 |

sponsored links
hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 28, 2010 12:49 |  #2

EF could be mounted but I'm sure there will be some small lenses available to take advantage of the short backfocus. If EVIL takes off then lenses with large backfocus for a full frame mirror will probably go the way of the dodo.

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

ken_vs_ryu
539 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 28, 2010 13:28 |  #3

it's a mini slr like a 4/3rds cam - not evil.

http://google-black.blogspot.com (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 28, 2010 13:31 as a reply to  @ ken_vs_ryu's post |  #4

"it's a mini slr like a 4/3rds cam - not evil".

Both are said to be in development according to reported Canon statements.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

BigBlueDodge
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 28, 2010 21:27 |  #5

Personally if it means buying a load more lenses it hold no interest to me;

The whole point of EVIl is to produce a smaller camera. Take a look at the Micro 4/3 lenses and then look at all of the EF lenses, and you will see that the EF lenses are gigantic in comparison to the M4/3 lenses. Having a smaller camera, but keeping the larger EF lenses doesn't make sense. What you you going to gain having a smaller body but with large lenses?

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,822 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 28, 2010 21:35 |  #6

Ross_Curtis wrote in post #10619176 (external link)
Obvious this camera is still in the rumours stage ...

So don't post it in EOS please.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

cooltouch
367 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 13, 2010 17:35 |  #7

I read just a short while ago that Canon is considering ways to continue exploiting its APS-H sized sensor (1.3x) and that production costs of the APS-H are virtually the same as the APS-C now. Personally, I think it would be a stupid mistake for Canon to come out with a 4/3 EVIL. Why? Because lens focal lengths become problematic. A 28mm is no longer a wide-angle, it's a telephoto! Whereas with an APS-H, wides are still pretty close to where they were meant to be.

I also think it would be equivalent to Canon shooting itself in the foot to come out with a small DSLR, the way we've heard some hints at recently. Hey, the dang compact Canons --- XS, XSi, T1i, T2i, are already too small for people with average size hands. Why go any smaller? It makes no sense.

However, an EVIL has some tremendous advantages. The biggest, for lens purists, is that the lenses dedicated for it will no longer have to be retrofocus designs, necessary to clear the mirror. As any rangefinder purist will tell you, retrofocus designs are inherently compromises compared to their non-retro counterparts. So, Canon users will be able to have Summicron (and -lux) quality without Summicron prices . . . or at least one would hope.

Plus, it would require no effort on Canon's part to produce an adapter that would essentially be a short extension tube with electrical contacts that would allow the use of any EF lens on an EVIL and still provide full functionality with the lenses.

And something near and dear to my heart, because the Canon EVIL would have such a short registration distance, this means that sooner or later somebody will produce an adapter that will allow Canon FD and FL manual focus lenses to be mounted with infinity focus retained. Woot! Can't hardly wait. I've got a nice collection of FD and FL optics that currently get used on my film cameras only. I refuse to buy a Panasonic or Olympus just so I can use my old Canon glass on a digicam.

Michael
My Gear List: http://michaelmcbroom.​com/photo/gear.html (external link)
My Gallery: http://michaelmcbroom.​com/gallery3/index.php​/ (external link)
My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/11308754@N08/ (external link)
My Blog: http://michaelmcbroom.​com/blogistan/ (external link)

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 14, 2010 01:14 |  #8

cooltouch wrote in post #10716742 (external link)
I read just a short while ago that Canon is considering ways to continue exploiting its APS-H sized sensor (1.3x) and that production costs of the APS-H are virtually the same as the APS-C now. Personally, I think it would be a stupid mistake for Canon to come out with a 4/3 EVIL. Why? Because lens focal lengths become problematic. A 28mm is no longer a wide-angle, it's a telephoto! Whereas with an APS-H, wides are still pretty close to where they were meant to be.

Who said Canon would use 4/3? They already have their APS-C and -H fabrication processes, why waste the money to come up with another one.

And it doesn't matter if 28mm is a wide or a tele...it's not like its wide on APS-C. You buy different lenses for different formats.

I also think it would be equivalent to Canon shooting itself in the foot to come out with a small DSLR, the way we've heard some hints at recently. Hey, the dang compact Canons --- XS, XSi, T1i, T2i, are already too small for people with average size hands. Why go any smaller? It makes no sense.

Have you ever held a film SLR? Most of them are a lot smaller than SLRs are now. No one had a problem with those.

There is always a market for a smaller camera. SLR kits are bulky.

And to answer the OP: it will not mount EOS lenses without an adapter, and it likely won't retain AF, since EOS lenses are designed for phase-detect AF, and mirrorless cameras are largely contrast-based.
On top of that, the point of a mirrorless camera is to make the camera thinner and the lenses smaller...making it compatible with EOS lenses means it must be 44mm thick just to have an EOS mount, which simply isn't thin enough. E-mount and m4/3, by comparison, have a register distance of about 20mm.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 14, 2010 10:29 |  #9

"Have you ever held a film SLR? Most of them are a lot smaller than SLRs are now"

Not the last generation film cameras, they are the same size. My 30D and Eos-3 are pretty even in size and weight.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

cooltouch
367 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 14, 2010 10:41 |  #10

toxic wrote in post #10718816 (external link)
Who said Canon would use 4/3?

It was a rumor I read recently -- and I hope that's all it is.

And it doesn't matter if 28mm is a wide or a tele...it's not like its wide on APS-C. You buy different lenses for different formats.

Well, it would be nice -- and a lot easier on my pocketbook -- if I didn't have to buy as many lenses for different formats.

Have you ever held a film SLR? Most of them are a lot smaller than SLRs are now. No one had a problem with those.

Hmmm . . . I'm figuring there's a pretty good chance that I bought my first 35mm SLR before you were born, so yeah, I've held a few. There are ergonomic issues that make the compact Canon DSLRs feel more cramped than a traditional 35mm SLR, even the compact ones like the Olympus OM-series and the Pentax ME-series. The handgrip on the Compact Canon DSLR forces the right hand into a cramped, jammed up position, whereas with the traditional compact 35mm SLRs, the lack of a handgrip allows one to position ones hand more freely.

There is always a market for a smaller camera. SLR kits are bulky.

Well, modern ones with their built-in motors and battery packs certainly are. But my argument is that Canon's small DSLRs are already borderline too small.

Michael
My Gear List: http://michaelmcbroom.​com/photo/gear.html (external link)
My Gallery: http://michaelmcbroom.​com/gallery3/index.php​/ (external link)
My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/11308754@N08/ (external link)
My Blog: http://michaelmcbroom.​com/blogistan/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,647 views & 0 likes for this thread
This EVIL camera...?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.