Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 29 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 01:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Samyang Rokinon Vivitar 14 2.8 lens

Intheswamp
Endeavor to Persevere
1,812 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 18, 2021 09:10 |  #4891

InPhoto wrote in post #19182915 (external link)
I got one for 70 euros, it has a scratch on the front element and broken hood. I'm not very impressed form the quality of the photos, my Tokina 12-24mm looks better.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by InPhoto in
./showthread.php?p=191​82915&i=i253852000
forum: Lens Sample Photo Archive

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by InPhoto in
./showthread.php?p=191​82915&i=i155696053
forum: Lens Sample Photo Archive

I've seen some pretty good images taken with the Samyang/etc lens. Keepers.

Do you 'reckon the scratch and busted hood means it was....dropped? Maybe jarred some elements out of alignment? Some fairly high dynamic range shots, too, especially the church shot. Just saying... :-)

The poorest of the poor. A country of children taking care of children: https://handsofloveusa​.org/ (external link)
My little weather page: www.beeweather.com (external link)

sponsored links
InPhoto
Cream of the Crop
20,006 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 19, 2021 06:36 as a reply to  @ Intheswamp's post |  #4892

The lens has a lot of contrast, if there are many highlights the shadows are always underexposed. I have to dial +1 even +2 EV to get the right exposure sometimes. There is vignetting too, that I personally like.

My lens seems aligned, the scratch is on the center, it gives a foggy - low contrasty area in the center, I avoid placing the subject in the middle. Sharpness is not very good but I'm not into very sharp lenses either.

The focus ring is way off. I'm using the Nikon version with a chipped Nikon to EF adapter. I had no problems with an old Tokina 180mm for Nikon, but this one focuses at infinity on the 0.7m mark. At least I can get focus confirmation and the 0.28 to 0.7m turn of the ring is not long. Even for a 14mm the lens needs exact focusing at f2.8 - f5.6, as I prefer to use it for subjects less than 1 meter away.

Some simple photos

InPhoto
Cream of the Crop
20,006 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited 1 month ago by InPhoto.

Jan 19, 2021 06:45 |  #4893

The Field of View is almost 120 degrees and the distortions at the edge are huge

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

+1 EV you can see the hot spot in the middle and the distortion

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Some simple photos

Intheswamp
Endeavor to Persevere
1,812 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 19, 2021 08:19 as a reply to  @ InPhoto's post |  #4894

Yeah, I'd say an "experimental" lens. You can definitely see that spot in the middle of the glass. :-( The edge distortion is pretty much a given. I've got a Samyang version and it does pretty good. No center spot as yours has, but the scratch is probably lowering contrast in that area. I've got a few that I've bought thinking they would be something interesting to tinker with but they end up sitting in the drawer or move on to other pastures.

Something to tinker with... :-)

The poorest of the poor. A country of children taking care of children: https://handsofloveusa​.org/ (external link)

InPhoto
Cream of the Crop
20,006 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 20, 2021 06:10 |  #4895

I guess you're right. I won't bother to repair it. I already took off the diaphragm control that was done electrically by the Nikon camera. I couldn't couple it with the aperture ring, so I just move the diaphragm lever inside the lens with a pen. Too much trouble to align the focus too. Oh, well for 70 euros it gets the job done :rolleyes:

Some simple photos

Intheswamp
Endeavor to Persevere
1,812 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 20, 2021 07:52 as a reply to  @ InPhoto's post |  #4896

My Samyang is an early version...completely manual focusing and aperture.

Maybe yours will be good for "atmosphere" shots?

sponsored links

1,611,027 views & 1,431 likes for this thread
Samyang Rokinon Vivitar 14 2.8 lens
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.