Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 29 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 08:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canada Post - bad experience

Michael_Lambert
-ColdMember-
2,426 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 29, 2010 08:11 |  #1

Hey guys,

Just thought i would share.

I sold a lens to another member of this board who lives in the USA. We worked out the details all was well payment made and shipment sent. Sent via Canada post Expedited service to ensure a tracking number and signature required.

Well the item went out, checked the status a couple of days later and it say that it entered the USA so i thought great he will have it today or tomorrow and thought nothing of it.

a few days the buyer contacted me saying it he had nothing yet could i give him the tracking number which i did and well so a long story short the Lense never arrived, never came back to me.. Lost in space here. The latest update is the same entered the USA and that's it.

So the buyer with the right after way too much time passed put in the request through paypal for a refund and got it, and i contacted Canada post. Well 45 days later I get a letter stating they are still waiting on confirmation from USPS of delivery status. Keep in mind this deal was done the second week of APRIL!

This week i finally get a letter from Canada post and so did the buyer. I have to show proof of value, Signed letter stating the contents of the package was as i said it was, was in working order ect.. and a copy of the original shipping invoice.

Which i have done now, and mailed back to Canada post ( Copies of everything required ), I called the person in charge of my claim and told him it was done and in the mail and what was the next step..

He told me it would take 7-10 days for them to get the mail from me, even though i paid to send it registered mail next day.. lol and that once they have that they will follow up with the postal outlet to confirm the delivery information, and confirm the content value. Once this is completed which can take up to another 30days.. They will issue me a cheque for the contents that was lost which would take 3-5 business days to produce and 7-10 days for postage of it!

So just for a brake down..

The paypal payment was made April 14th. Its now July 29th so 3 1/2 months i have had no lens or money for that lens, and i am being told another 45 days before i could see the money for it..

Just thought i would share my experience... For now on anything going out in the postal service will be shipping anything other than Canada post.. This crap has cost them my business.

I had to make a claim on UPS once, and had the content value plus shipping cost returned to me with in 15 days!!!

My Canon Gear
Michael Lambert Photography (external link)

sponsored links
20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 29, 2010 09:28 |  #2

Your government at work.

It works pretty much the same as my government.

Michael_Lambert
THREAD ­ STARTER
-ColdMember-
2,426 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 29, 2010 09:43 |  #3

Which does not help is the whole paypal thing, Yes the buyer had the right to dispute the charge as he claimed to have not received it, which they did and put my account in the negative, however i appealed it based on the grounds the item still showed in transit and was not determined lost... Just to keep face if Canada post came back with proof it was delivered.. Never heard back from paypal and then get a call from a collections agency yesterday looking for the money :(

Oh well live and learn i guess.

My Canon Gear
Michael Lambert Photography (external link)

hawking_0103
215 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 30, 2010 02:14 |  #4

I just sent in my lens back to Canon using Canada Xpresspost. heh. I heard UPS wouldn't take care the boxes and items might as well damaged upon its arrival, but I'm not sure about Canada Post. I try not to be stingy and I used loads of bubble wraps.

-Kenzie-
My Flickr (external link)
T2i, some lenses and a flash

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 30, 2010 06:18 |  #5

Once it reaches the border it gets handed over to the US Postal System. At that point, any status updates are supplied by them. Maybe it's them (sounds like it) that lost it.

With that said, I've had no issues with Canada Post, nor the US Postal system, when I was living in the US.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 30, 2010 06:39 |  #6

Unfortunately it sounds like the vast majority of Postal services worldwide.

I have heard complaints about almost every one (the UK being one of the worst):rolleyes:.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

Grumps ­ Photo
Suffering Keyboard in Mouth desease
2,012 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jul 31, 2010 20:16 |  #7

I've used FedEx and UPS for international shipping with great success, always go Overnight or some type of brokerage included service. Counting on CP/USPS to deliver anything of value is a risky business. Pay the cost upfront and you can count on it.

Mayhaps your package is stuck in US Customs?

Grumps
(aka Jim or JAZZ D.P.G.)
1DsMKIII, 1DMKIII, T6s, D60, L's, DO, USM, other lens, flashes, studio gear (but no studio!) Olympus TG3
grumpsphoto.com

sponsored links

1,442 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canada Post - bad experience
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.