Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Jul 2010 (Friday) 10:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40D vs 1D2(N)

noahcomet
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 30, 2010 10:14 |  #1

I know this topic has been done a few times, but I'm hoping to have some input specific to my needs.

Right now I'm loving my 40D but am thinking about other options. I don't think I want to go FF as I shoot primarily wildlife with my 400 5.6 and don't want to lose too much reach. But I do want to get the highest IQ possible for large prints, with low noise. I'm also envying some of the customizable features I've heard about regarding the 1-series.

I know that switching from a 40D to a 1D2 would mean a loss of 2mp, but I think people worry way too much about mp; my understanding is that the IQ on a 1D2 will be better (even with fewer mp) than on a 40D---? I'm not too concerned about body size, about speed-bursts or buffer sizes, about sensor cleaning or weather-sealing. I'm pretty much only thinking about image quality. Also, how would you characterize the difference in the AF system---say for someone tracking a bird in flight? Is it dramatically better on the 1D2?

I do realize the 1D2 has a slightly smaller crop, so I'd be giving up .3x, but I can live with that. Is the menu system so drastically different from the 40D that it'll take me a very long time to sort it all out? Is it way less intuitive, or just... different?

Any input welcome! (And if you're looking to make this trade, let me know! I'm still just mulling, but for what it's worth my 40D is in awesome shape with 17K on the shutter. I'd add some cash, of course, or maybe the Tammy 18-270 VC.)

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/noahcomet/

sponsored links
noahcomet
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 30, 2010 10:16 |  #2

Also, I suppose, if anyone wants to weigh in on the 1Ds classic---if I were to go FF, that would probably be the only one I'd consider in my range.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,320 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jul 30, 2010 10:20 |  #3

Why don't you try to rent one and run your own comparison?

Have you actually produced any large prints from your 40D that you judged inferior? Your comment suggests that you think that you need a 1:1 ratio between pixels and dpi. In a word, you don't. Large prints are viewed from large distances. The eye's native visual acuity becomes the controlling factor. For proof, walk up to a billboard and take a close look. Printers interpolate pixels when they can't manage a 1:1 ratio.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,043 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 30, 2010 10:23 |  #4

For wildlife, the 1D MkII is basically a no brainer.
IQ will be better than 40D, and of course you get all the other advantages.

The 1D mkII is in every way a better camera than the older 1Ds "classic"
I would not suggest the 1Ds over the 1D MkII.

I print MkII images shot in RAW onverted to 16bit tiff to sizes up to 17X22" and they stand up to scrutiny just fine.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

noahcomet
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 30, 2010 10:24 as a reply to  @ joedlh's post |  #5

A fair point---I haven't had a chance to play with a 1D2 and don't know where I'd have the opportunity to do so. (The local camera shop rents the newer models, though...)

I find the 40D to be almost too noisy for 8x10 at ISO 800+. Guess I should have been more specific about that. Some of it's exposure, absolutely, but I'm wondering the 1D2 performs better in that respect.

noahcomet
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 30, 2010 10:25 |  #6

My god, 2 responses already in less than 10min. This forum is amazing.

Zerimar
Goldmember
3,529 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 30, 2010 10:29 |  #7

I went from a 40D to a 1d Mark II N and haven't looked back. I thought to myself I would try out both cameras and probably keep the 40D as a backup camera. Since I have had the 1d the 40D has not left the house because the performance of the 1D just is astounding. The AF system is the best upgrade in my opinion, going from 9 to 45 AF points is a huge upgrade!

I would suggest to try both cameras and keep the one you like! The price of a 1d IIN these days is such a steal if you can get your hands on a good one. I am most likely sell my 40D now, even though it is a great camera, because I don't see myself using it anytime soon. With that additional funding I could get one of the great prime lenses I have been lusting for, which at this point looks like the 85 f1.2

The menu system is a lot different than the 40D, in a way more confusing at first, then easier to understand within a couple days. Now, less than a month later, it seems almost like second nature to me with the 1D controls. Canon knew what they were doing when they designed the body.

Rick Rose - Add me! (external link) Photography Los Angeles California Hasselblad H2 x2 + Phase One IQ150 | Canon 5D MkII | RRS TVC-34L BH-55
HC 35 f3.5 | HC 100 f2.2 | HC 120 f4 Macro |HC 50-110 f3.5-4.5 | 85 f1.2 MkII L | 100 f2.8 Macro | 16-35 f2.8L II | 24-70 f2.8L II | Profoto + Mola
Gear List | Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

btmlinedan
Goldmember
1,559 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 30, 2010 10:36 |  #8

i went from a 40d to a 1dmk2 (and now a 1dmk2n). i would NEVER go back. the AF system trumps the iffy menu system (which REALLY isnt that hard to use once you get used to it, i fly through it now after a a month).

as far as image quality, i'm not going to tell you that the 1dmk2N is going to make all the difference in the world...but the AF system WILL, b/c you'll capture the shot you wouldn't have caught w/ the 40d.

Once you use the 1dmk2n 45 point af system, you'll never want another camera that's not a 1d series...i had to borrow a 40d for a shoot and it felt like a toy.

<-- proud 1dmk2n owner

ps: the only thing i'd sell my 1dmk2n for, is a 1dmk3 or 4.

PPS: if you're looking for one, i am getting my camera back from canon this week after having the shutter replaced. zero clicks...just sayin.

*dan l *Flickr (external link) l *cars: dkfx Photography (external link) l weddings: Blue Martini Photography (external link) l YN622C tranceiver review (external link)

noahcomet
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 30, 2010 12:06 |  #9

btmlinedan wrote in post #10631340 (external link)
PPS: if you're looking for one, i am getting my camera back from canon this week after having the shutter replaced. zero clicks...just sayin.

...man, that's tempting! I'd have to unload the 40D first, though.

k-lo
Goldmember
1,316 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 30, 2010 12:40 |  #10

as cyberdyne has said... it's a no brainer.

-=Karlo=- 1D III, 5D Mark II, 17-40 4 L, 35 1.4 L 24-70 2.8 L, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.2 L II, 300mm f 2.8 L, 580EX II, and a crapload of Elinchrom Gear :cool:
View my flickr sets (external link)
Check out my Modelmayhem port (external link)
500px (external link)

noahcomet
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 30, 2010 12:46 as a reply to  @ k-lo's post |  #11

Well, as fate would have it, I found a local store with one currently on consignment for a really reasonable price and a 10-day open return policy, so I think I'll pick it up and play with it over the weekend before committing to unloading the 40D. (And I'll have to check the shutter count once I get it, as the store claims not to know the number...)

Wish I could have both, but I also want to, um, stay married.

sponsored links

1,263 views & 0 likes for this thread
40D vs 1D2(N)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.