Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 30 Jul 2010 (Friday) 11:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Should I get a ligthbank?

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 30, 2010 11:26 |  #1

I've been considering the Bowens SL455 lightbank.

I've a couple of hotel boudoir / glamour sessions and I'm hoping to use and emulate natural light.

Thing is we all know unless there's an awful lot of it I will have to shoot wide open and lose some of the detail (Which I don't want to do).

Am I wise to aim for 5500K colour temperature and if this is the right step to take are there any alternatives....Bowens stuff tends to have a weeks waiting list (for the less commonly used stuff) and I need it for next Thursday.

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 30, 2010 11:30 |  #2

That doesn't look nearly big enough to emulate natural window light.
Calument, and others make large diffusion panels that would do a better job. And you can use them with strobes or whatever since they are just the frame and fabric.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 30, 2010 11:32 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Is there a reason you dont want to use strobes ?

Regards
Paul L.

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 30, 2010 12:47 |  #4

No, I'm happy to use strobes, just worry that I'm going to fall over with the positioning of them and would rather have an 'as I see it' continuous light.

I worry the modelling lights will blend into the natural light too much and throw me off.

Chris Giles Photography

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 30, 2010 14:31 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Well if you want a continues lightsource strobes wont help you much.

However it can surely be done with strobes with success, you have until thursday to try it out. :-)

I would use a scrim or a large softbox.

Regards
Paul L.

DeanCapture
217 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 30, 2010 15:37 as a reply to  @ MR do little's post |  #6

Assuming that the room is big enough - I'd setup a background stand like they use for background paper, hang a big white bedsheet across it and shoot a strobe through it. I'd back the strobe up enough so that the output will light up the entire sheet. Then I'd position the model close to it - as close as possible without getting the sheet in the picture. That setup will give you a beautiful natural light look.

White bedsheets are very inexpensive...and chance are - they'll be one on the bed in the hotel room that you'll be using :cool:

I'd opt for flash because I'd prefer to not have to shoot wide open or use a high ISO and/or possibly have to use a tripod. I like shooting handheld and with flash, you'll freeze the action.

Well, that's my opinion for what it's worth :lol:

Twitter: @DeanCapture (external link)
Tumblr (NSFW): DeanCapture.Tumblr.com (external link)
ModelMayhem/DeanCaptur​e (external link)
DeanCapture "at" Gmail.com

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 30, 2010 17:14 |  #7

DeanCapture i like that idea, i'll have to remember it when i'm caught without enough gear

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

sponsored links

1,288 views & 0 likes for this thread
Should I get a ligthbank?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.