Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Jul 2010 (Friday) 21:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

back button on 50D?

jeljohns
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 30, 2010 21:22 |  #1

I'm really confused as to how to properly use back button focus. I thought I had set it correctly in the custom functions (IV, #2), but it does not focus when I press the * button. I still have to press the shutter halfway for the lens to focus and then I hear the confirmation "beep". I thought the focus was supposed to happen when I press the * button. on #3 neither * or shutter buttons do anything. I read the Canon article but it only confused me more!

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 30, 2010 21:27 |  #2

...you're obviously doing something very wrong.

If it's set correctly the half press of the shutter won't focus at all. Are you sure that you're confirming the changes once you make them?

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 30, 2010 22:23 |  #3

Ok, I think I figured it out (there is one more setting on 50D to get * button). I've heard two different ways to use it though.......press button to focus then release button. Then just press shutter button. I've also been told you have to hold the button continuously the whole time you shoot. Which is correct?

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 30, 2010 22:26 |  #4

jeljohns wrote in post #10634654 (external link)
Ok, I think I figured it out (there is one more setting on 50D to get * button). I've heard two different ways to use it though.......press button to focus then release button. Then just press shutter button. I've also been told you have to hold the button continuously the whole time you shoot. Which is correct?

Simple. When you press the button it focuses.

If you're in One shot AF, if you press the button and it attains focus, you can either hold the button or let go. It doesn't matter. Then take the picture.

If you're in Servo AF, if you press the button it focuses. Either let go and take the picture, or hold onto the button to keep focusing.

If the image is in focus and you're not tracking anything, why tell the camera to focus?

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

itzcryptic
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 30, 2010 23:46 |  #5

* is used for exposure lock

AF-On is the default button for focusing.

They made it so you can switch the functions of the two buttons because the 40D and previous models did not have the AF-On button.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,127 views & 0 likes for this thread
back button on 50D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.