Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 01 Aug 2010 (Sunday) 09:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

In praise of Search-Alert locks on Pelicans

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 01, 2010 09:33 |  #1

I bought two Search Alert locks at TamperSeal (external link) for my Pelican 1514 several months ago, even though I carry the Pelican onto the plane...just in case, belts and suspenders.

You never know. I just came back from Europe last night, and in our city of departure in Italy, I was asked by Security to check the bag as it contained my Gitzo 1541, which I was told could be used as a blunt weapon like a cricket bat, for example. I had already checked my luggage, and could not just switch the tripod into a larger bag for checking.

I checked the Pelican. A security agent went through the bag and saw about $8,000 of cameras, lenses, a Hyperdrive and the tripod. He surely realized the value of the equipment, and I suspect could have alerted someone along the baggage line.

I flew through Paris where a made a plane change, and where the bag could also have been tampered with. When I got to New York, I found the Pelican in good condition, but the locks had been jimmied. The dot indicator for TSA entry or intrusion had turned from green to red. Despite deep scratches on the inside of the hasps where a file or other instrument was used, both locks held. Below is a photo of the most damaged of the two locks. The photos were for insurance and investigation purposes to document damage for the airline.

I had to use a bolt cutter to open the bag. No equipment damage.

I don't suspect TamperSeal will replace the locks, but I am certainly going to buy two more. I must remember to pack the tripod in checked luggage from now on. No more risk of losing the checked Pelican or having the case tampered with.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i17.photobucket​.com …axselma/LockDam​age1-1.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i17.photobucket​.com …axselma/LockDam​age2-1.jpg (external link)

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

sponsored links
XeNoN81
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 01, 2010 13:04 |  #2

These look a lot more rugged than the Pelican TSA cable locks. I have one on my case cruzer modified 1514. It looks like their cable could be easily cut or forced open. I think I'll order 4 of these to go along with my case cruzer and the 1614 that I have in transit.
Thanks for the info.

40D + BG-E2N + 70-200 2.8L IS + 17-40 4L + 100 2.8L IS MACRO + 50 1.4 + 28 1.8 + 85 1.8 + 580EX II + 1.4x II

mjww
669 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 01, 2010 13:12 as a reply to  @ XeNoN81's post |  #3

I'm surprised that the plastic that forms the base of the lock hole did nor break. Glad to hear that you managed to keep everything safe.

Equipment list - According to the wife - "how many more lenses do you need? Yet another camera?"  ???

MSIGuy
369 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 01, 2010 13:13 |  #4

There are so many cooked people working at the airport...

Some cameras, some lenses, plenty of gaffer's tape and beer.

ZCphoto
426 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 01, 2010 13:14 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Last week in NY (Laguardia)I was asked to check my TT Takeoff at the gate (also happened in Houston). This is why I told them to F**K OFF and the bag would fit fine under the seat. Like you I was carrying lots of gear and a Gitzo traveller. I only had the little TT TSA locks on it so if I were in your situation I would have likely lost all of my gear (5D, T2i, 70-200II, 16-35,....ouch).

Do you have any difficulty taking the 1514 onboard? My TT has to be squeezed to fit under the seat in smaller planes (like an Embraer).

Robert
5D MKII I 1D MKIII I 7D I G11 I S90gear list sales feedback

tvphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 01, 2010 14:33 |  #6

ZCphoto wrote in post #10642084 (external link)
Do you have any difficulty taking the 1514 onboard? My TT has to be squeezed to fit under the seat in smaller planes (like an Embraer).

The 1514 fits overhead. On the smaller planes, if it doesn't fit overhead, they will take it at the gate or the tarmac and I pick it up there on disembarking. Just like a stroller.

mjww wrote in post #10642076 (external link)
I'm surprised that the plastic that forms the base of the lock hole did nor break. Glad to hear that you managed to keep everything safe.

There's nothing made of plastic in the lock, it's all metal.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

keitaro
605 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 01, 2010 15:02 |  #7

The best type of reviews are the ones that prove that the item works. I am glad that it has kept your gear safe.

My flickr (external link)
My Gear

keitaro
605 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 01, 2010 15:02 |  #8

Last week in NY (Laguardia)I was asked to check my TT Takeoff at the gate (also happened in Houston). This is why I told them to F**K OFF and the bag would fit fine under the seat. Like you I was carrying lots of gear and a Gitzo traveller. I only had the little TT TSA locks on it so if I were in your situation I would have likely lost all of my gear (5D, T2i, 70-200II, 16-35,....ouch).

what did they say once you told them no?

These guys obviously knew that there was something valuable since it was being transported in a pelican case.

My flickr (external link)
My Gear

ZCphoto
426 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 01, 2010 15:03 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

keitaro wrote in post #10642609 (external link)
what did they say once you told them no?

I was pretty angry so they let me slide.

Robert

gjman
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 01, 2010 17:08 |  #10

Last week in NY (Laguardia)I was asked to check my TT Takeoff at the gate (also happened in Houston). This is why I told them to F**K OFF and the bag would fit fine under the seat..........

The "at the gate" check is pretty safe since there is no middle man involved. It is taken directly from you and put into the a/c (like the strollers, car seats etc) and RETURNED to you as soon as you get out of the a/c.

It cannot be stolen or tampered with when checked in at the gate. There is no time for it.

OP had to check is baggage in way before the gate and there a LOT of time for the bag to be tampered with.

I wonder how long I have to hang out on POTN before I get as good as Ansel Adams ?

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 01, 2010 18:06 |  #11

I wouldn't say never, a camera case out of sight for even 1 second can go "missing"

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

ZCphoto
426 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 01, 2010 19:01 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

DisrupTer911 wrote in post #10643405 (external link)
I wouldn't say never, a camera case out of sight for even 1 second can go "missing"

I agree.

Robert

Scoobs
636 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 01, 2010 19:19 |  #13

You should send those photos and a big letter of praise to TamperSeal saying how happy you were that their product worked so well. You might get lucky and get a couple more sent back to you.

Worth a try

:D Stu :D

ZCphoto
426 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 01, 2010 19:56 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

gjman wrote in post #10643148 (external link)
The "at the gate" check is pretty safe since there is no middle man involved. It is taken directly from you and put into the a/c (like the strollers, car seats etc) and RETURNED to you as soon as you get out of the a/c.

It cannot be stolen or tampered with when checked in at the gate. There is no time for it.

OP had to check is baggage in way before the gate and there a LOT of time for the bag to be tampered with.

I would think things would be MUCH safer locked in a Pelican when checked at the gate. However, in a soft roller bag with a small lock I'd be a bit more concerned about handling and the possibility of theft. Letting that much money in gear out of your sight is always a risk.

Robert

tvphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 02, 2010 13:00 |  #15

Scoobs wrote in post #10643703 (external link)
You should send those photos and a big letter of praise to TamperSeal saying how happy you were that their product worked so well. You might get lucky and get a couple more sent back to you.

Worth a try

I already sent the letter to them. Will see if they respond. Even if they don't replace them for me, I'll buy two more.

Jay

sponsored links

21,031 views & 0 likes for this thread
In praise of Search-Alert locks on Pelicans
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.