Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 03 Aug 2010 (Tuesday) 16:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My EOS 50D's First Wedding

Davie82
257 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 03, 2010 16:47 |  #1

Hi folks,

As some of you know I have decided to pursue a career in wedding/event photography and as yet I have no experience, so yesterday was not only my 50D's first wedding but also mine. It was my brother-in-law's wedding and I was there as a guest which left me free to take pictures of anything and everything.

My wife and I both know the pro photographer who was doing the gig so beforehand I talked to him to make sure I didn't get in his way - he was an amazing guy with great professionalism and skill and was very understanding and accommodating.

I brought all three of my lenses but used the Sigmalux 95% of the day. All the pics here are from the Sigmalux and were taken wide open (afaik) and quickly edited in Ps CS5

I would really appreciate comments and criticism - thanks for looking!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Gear

sponsored links
picard
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 03, 2010 18:08 |  #2

which lens did you use to shoot those photos? The photos look great.

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm, Sigma 50mm F/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM

Davie82
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 03, 2010 18:34 |  #3

Thanks picard - all the above were taken with the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 :)

Gear

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 03, 2010 18:42 |  #4

A couple of thoughts. One is that there is a separate forum for sharing images and gathering feedback. I think they're very nice. Most are technically good, a couple appear a bit soft, a few others a bit dark, but nothing that can't be corrected. To be critical, I don't know I would consider any of them to be more than snapshots. They're very nice snapshots, but still snapshots.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

Skrim17
The only TPBMer without a title. Enjoying my anonymity.
40,070 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 03, 2010 18:46 |  #5

The white balance seems off in the first and third, a few of the shots are a little strange in the angles of the way people are facing and the one of them leaving the church is soft.

Not bad for a first attempt as a guest, the first is my favorite.

Crissa
PLEASE HELP ME FIND MY PHOTOS!! (external link)

Davie82
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 03, 2010 19:01 |  #6

One is that there is a separate forum for sharing images and gathering feedback.

Oops I didn't realise, sorry :D Perhaps the mods can move this thread to the correct forum?

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Gear

switchblade5984
299 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 03, 2010 19:07 |  #7

Awesome kilted wedding! just a tip if you ever shoot another kilted wedding, try to encompass the entire kilt, kinda like the wedding dress, always get the whole dress, dont nip the bottom :)

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 03, 2010 19:11 |  #8

You need to make the images smaller too, you're larger than forum rules allow.

I think you need to work on your lighting, composition, and post processing. There are too many tilts too, if you ever get to the point of doing albums you'll find tilted lines don't work well within the vertical and horizontal lines of an album.

A career in wedding photography seems like a dead end right now, every man and his dog are doing it.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

RT ­ McAllister
973 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 03, 2010 20:01 |  #9

A bit too much tilt for my tastes but these are great, especially for your first wedding.

I'm puzzled by #4 though... there's nothing going on in that pic to warrant the backs of heads to be the focus.

Again, nice job.

pcunite
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 03, 2010 20:46 |  #10

Your photos are nice but to make it in the wedding biz, at least in my area, you had better be awesome or an excellent marketer. Don't let me stop you, just making you aware of what you're in for.

picard
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 03, 2010 21:28 as a reply to  @ pcunite's post |  #11

did you use just one camera for the entire wedding shots ?

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm, Sigma 50mm F/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM

Davie82
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 04, 2010 04:21 |  #12

Thanks for all the kind words. I know that there are a lot of people "doing" wedding photography these days, but I have a few photographer friends who say that although the industry is very competitive, the competition isn't always strong, and this is definitely corroborated by what I've been hearing recently. I inted to get training and experience before I go anywhere near a wedding posing as "the" photographer. :D

Regarding the snapshots comment, that's precisely what these are - snapshots, so I don't take it as a criticism at all. Particularly evident in number 4, I spent the day primarily testing the focus of my Sigmalux and exploiting the gorgeous bokeh at f/1.4 :D

picard wrote:
did you use just one camera for the entire wedding shots ?

I wasn't the photographer, just a guest, but yes nearly all of my shots were with the 50D + Sigmalux. I don't yet have an external flash so I appreciated the fast lens. Even so, the 3rd from last shot was at ISO 3200 and f/1.4, and still quite dark.

Gear

peterhanowell
41 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 04, 2010 06:58 |  #13

The shots look pretty good, great job. As you can see by the comments above, you can certainly fine tune things moving forward, but I believe you are moving in the right direction.

Congrats!

Peter
--
Wedding Photographer Tallahassee (external link)

Peter Hanowell -- Hanowell Photography
Florida Wedding Photographers
First Site (external link) | New Site (external link) | Blog (external link)

alainvd
200 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 04, 2010 08:13 |  #14

Have you tried to microadjust your lens ? I have the feeling the focus is not really 100% right. Especially on the face and eyes.

5D² - 7D - 17-55 2.8 IS - 90 Macro - 35L - 85LII - 135L
Photographe de mariage en Belgique (external link)

bebud
111 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 04, 2010 11:28 |  #15

tim wrote in post #10656612 (external link)
You need to make the images smaller too, you're larger than forum rules allow.

I think you need to work on your lighting, composition, and post processing. There are too many tilts too, if you ever get to the point of doing albums you'll find tilted lines don't work well within the vertical and horizontal lines of an album.

A career in wedding photography seems like a dead end right now, every man and his dog are doing it.

wow...what happened Tim? You're my hero......

7d ,6d,10-22,70-200 f4, 24 f2 is,Tamron 28-75 f2.8, Tamron 90mm macro,Tamron 18-270
simplydave.net (external link)

sponsored links

6,329 views & 0 likes for this thread
My EOS 50D's First Wedding
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.