Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Aug 2010 (Wednesday) 09:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

hope this hasn't been beaten to death. advice wanted on upgrade from XS to 50D or T2i

anothernewb
361 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 04, 2010 09:55 |  #1

through a series of (un)fortunate events - I am now in a position to upgrade bodies. and am looking for others thoughts
I have an xs body (broken now) and the following gear:
18-55 IS
50 1.8
28 2.8
55-250
15-85 IS USM
430 EXII
remote, xtra batts, sd cards etc.
I'm pretty happy with the lens lineup (although I WILL have the 70-200 F4L eventually

with the canon loyalty the 50D is in my price range, as is a t2 body.
Either way - it looks like I'm out some of my gear - either I have to invest in new memory cards and batteries, or just cards. However, the battery for the 50D is everywhere so finding them should be fairly cheap as well. I use the remote often so that is a consideration too.

I could find a XSI, but since this is an insurance thing - I will likely have to find a store option to make sure everything is covered - and I haven't seen too many refurbed XSI's around, and no new old stock ones anywhere.

Video is not a decision factor for me. The wife loves to use the P&S for short clips and is afraid to touch the XS as is.

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

sponsored links
anothernewb
THREAD ­ STARTER
361 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 04, 2010 10:13 |  #2

I should add some other information. I'm a casual shooter in the range of 4-7k per year and yes - I shotgun the thing from time to time. I don't shoot sports, but I've shot some BMX stuff for relatives on request. most of my indoor stuff is casual portraits and snaphots. my real favorite to capture is landscapes, although in moving up from the P&S world, Iv'e taken to shooting the kids a little more often (the little buggers sure are fast sometimes!!)

The weight of the 50D over the rebel is not an issue either. it's what- 1 pound heavier? That's the weight of a bottle of beer. If I can't pick that up and carry it around for a few hours-then I probably need to get my fat a$$ to the gym and give up photography altogether. I've held the xsi and the 40D in my hands, either one is OK for me. my hands are kind of right in the middle I guess. although I would give the nod to the 40D for a more secure "feel" to the grip.

I'm not really that into post processing. I'll shoot something 10 times if I have to to get it right (or the best balance IMO) but I have used RAW a few times for stuff I know I wouldn't have the chance to repeat and the low raw frame rate of the XS was annoying there. so I'm looking for a decent JPEG output for the most part.

about the only mechanical issue Ive run into with the xs is that sometimes iso 1600 is not enough. although a good flash takes care of that most of the time. Since I'm not shooting weddings or that kind of stuff, the uber critical low light no flash stuff doesn't apply, but - sometimes - iso3200 would be sweet. can anyone say from real world use if the 50D or T2 is better there?

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

James ­ Emory
857 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 04, 2010 10:14 |  #3

If video is not a factor, I'd definitely go with the 50D. Just my opinion.

James Emory
Olympus E-PL2, VF2 Electronic Viewfinder, Olympus lenses; 14-42mm, 35mm macro, 40-150mm, Manfrotto monopod, Slik U212Tripod, Canon Pixma MP990 Printer, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer.

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,802 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 04, 2010 10:31 as a reply to  @ James Emory's post |  #4

If you need video it is nice to have it on 500 and 550.
All lenses you have are going to be well balanced with Rebel.
Some users mentioned AF is better on 550D as well.
I don’t know much about 550D, I have 500D and I slightly regret I didn’t spend extra money to buy it last year and went with much cheaper 500D.
50D is weather sealed, has micro-adjustments for lenses, rated 100K for shutter alts, has top of the body LCD, supports different sizes of RAWs and has higher fps ratio.
But don’t know if it is important to you.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

mikerosal
162 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 04, 2010 10:37 |  #5

50D is my vote, you will have to get some new CF cards, battery and a new remote.

Canon 40D | 17-85 | 55-250mm | 50mm f/1.8 | 100mm f/2 | 70-200mm f/4 L

MiLew67
63 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 04, 2010 12:34 |  #6

I purchased an XS in November '09, was not happy with the IQ for the range of shots I take of my 3 kids (dance recitals/competitions, cheerleading competitions, gym/outside sports), and purchcased a T2i (550D). I am VERY impressed and satisfied with the higher ISO and megapixels. Granted, the fps could be higher, but I couldn't afford the 7D; I wanted the video capability. I have no experience with the 50D to compare it to the 550D. I do know, however, that the 50D is a body of choice for many dance competition photographers who use canon equipment (with a 40D backup). I think you'll love the T2i. It's also a bit cheaper than the 50D; you could put the saved cash toward that 70-200 you want. Or buy more of the new batteries you'll need. Or the new grip.

Mike L. 7D gripped, 60D gripped, T2i gripped, 24-70mm 2.8L, 70-200mm 2.8L IS, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 (non-VC), Sigma 30mm 1.4, 580 EX II, 430EX II, Pro Runner 450 AW. And a partridge in a pear tree.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 04, 2010 13:00 |  #7

anothernewb wrote in post #10660218 (external link)
through a series of (un)fortunate events - I
with the canon loyalty the 50D is in my price range, as is a t2 body.
Either way - it looks like I'm out some of my gear
I could find a XSI, but since this is an insurance thing - I will likely have to find a store option to make sure everything is covered - and I haven't seen too many refurbed XSI's around, and no new old stock ones anywhere.

Video is not a decision factor for me. The wife loves to use the P&S for short clips and is afraid to touch the XS as is.

I would pick the T2i (550D) - gets great reviews for low light ISO performance and image quality
http://www.popphoto.co​m …-test-canon-eos-rebel-t2i (external link)

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 04, 2010 13:19 |  #8

There could be a 50d replacement quite soon, I'd wait and see, it might even lower prices

http://www.canonrumors​.com …1-replacements-next-week/ (external link)

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 04, 2010 13:26 |  #9

I will recommend the T2i for the awesome IQ and low light capabilities and for the HD video option. You'll be able to use your SD cards and it wont add weight or size to your current gear so if you've already bought a bag that fits your XS then a T2i would fit just fine. I had the same decision to make a few months back and went with the T2i and I'm very happy I did.

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 04, 2010 13:34 |  #10

T2i since it seems you want high ISO performance.

BKATX
363 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 04, 2010 13:46 |  #11

If video isn't important then I would go the 50D. I own both the 50D and XS and really like both of them. The 50D has some features I have come to love and will have to have in any future camera I buy:

High fps shooting, more focus points, top lcd screen, wheel dial control, micro adjustment, physical size of the camera body just to name a few.

Both of your choices are great cameras but if I'm only shooting photos I would take the 50D. That being said the low light / high iso performance of the t2i will probably be a whole lot better. That is my only nagging complaint about the 50D. If I'm going to crop images I don't want to go above 2000 ISO, 3200 ISO is usable and printable but just barely. 6400 and up I wouldn't bother with. The banding is horrible.

sponsored links

1,649 views & 0 likes for this thread
hope this hasn't been beaten to death. advice wanted on upgrade from XS to 50D or T2i
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.