Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Aug 2005 (Thursday) 02:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

20D & Not getting exactly what I see! Help?

Goondockjeff
66 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 11, 2005 02:01 |  #1

Hey folks, I have had my 20d now for many months and I am quickly nearing the 10k marker for photos taken. I had not done a whole lot or really technical shots that required a lot perfect aligning until tonight. What I found, regardless of lens I had on the camera "Tried the stocker, the L 70-200 and the Tamron xr di 28-70" and each lens captured more than the view finder said I was going to get! I am shooting stacks of beer cans right "yeah strange I spose" and they are stack in rows as well as one on top of the other to build a wall. I setup the shot and get all the edges nice and even so as to not get half a can on one side and a complete can on the opposing edge. I take the shot but end up with half a can on one side and unwanted background on the other, even though the shot is lined up spot on in the view finder, Is this something that can be adjusted or is out of adjustment?

I mean, suppose I am going to shoot a close up tight shot of severe peoples faces, I would lose part of the person on the left and get more background than I wanted on the right even though the shot was composed properly in the view finder.

Anyone else have this happen? What should I do?

Canon 5d Mark II

sponsored links
dandan
658 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 11, 2005 02:34 |  #2

crop?

30mm, 50mm, 85mm, and some zooms here and there.
All nikon :D
- www.dan-mcnair.com (external link) - Webdesign and Photography (external link)

robertwgross
Cream of the Crop
9,462 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Aug 11, 2005 03:04 as a reply to  @ dandan's post |  #3

For most of these typical cameras, what you see in the viewfinder is about 95% of what is actually going to be on the sensor.

---Bob Gross---

Andy_T
Compensating for his small ... sensor
9,860 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 11, 2005 03:08 |  #4

Yes, it's right in the specs of the camera.

Keep it in mind and adjust framing accordingly.
Don't frame too tightly for important shots, you can always crop in post processing ... but you can't add anything :wink:

Best regards,
Andy

some cameras, some lenses,
and still a lot of things to learn...
(so post processing examples on my images are welcome :D)
If you like the forum, vote for it where it really counts!
CLICK here for the EOS FAQ
CLICK here for the Post Processing FAQ
CLICK here to understand a bit more about BOKEH

Jon, ­ The ­ Elder
teaching fish to ride a bicycle
2,490 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Aug 11, 2005 07:56 as a reply to  @ Andy_T's post |  #5

Thats one nice thing about the 8+Mp it gives you more than enough cropping so you do not NEED to get so tight.

Don't sweat the small stuff.....

A 40D, a 30D, some nice glass and a great Shooting Partner.
"...As in music, so in life."

glangston
238 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 11, 2005 08:55 as a reply to  @ Jon, The Elder's post |  #6

The 95% view and the 3:2 aspect ratio are favorable for 4x6 prints, a pretty common size. Leaves you a little area for framing.

EOS 20D(w remote switch), 17-40 f/4 L, 70-200 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, TC 1.4X, 580EX (w/off camera shoe), Canon S500, Apple Powerbook G4 867 w/Photoshop CS2

RAitch
Goldmember
2,917 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 11, 2005 10:47 as a reply to  @ Andy_T's post |  #7

Andythaler wrote:
... but you can't add anything :wink:

If you didn't wink I was going to say something... oh wait, I just did.

See Through The Lens (external link)

Johnny ­ Thunder
Caution, Cant keep clothes on
790 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 11, 2005 13:36 |  #8

I'm not so sure hes talking about getting more of the image then whats in the viewfinder, but rather the viewfinder is misaligned, and is 'pulling' the shots to the right.

If the mirror was tweaked, it could cause a different view then what the sensor sees.

If your getting more then you seeing, its the 95% viewfinder, if your alingment is off, then its bad.

-Johnny

T2i gripped with kit lenshttp://75.126.234.18/f​orum/showthread.php?t=​400860 (external link)

glangston
238 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 11, 2005 13:50 as a reply to  @ Johnny Thunder's post |  #9

Johnny Thunder wrote:
I'm not so sure hes talking about getting more of the image then whats in the viewfinder, but rather the viewfinder is misaligned, and is 'pulling' the shots to the right.

If the mirror was tweaked, it could cause a different view then what the sensor sees.

If your getting more then you seeing, its the 95% viewfinder, if your alingment is off, then its bad.

-Johnny

I think he said both...but you're right in that the specifics he mentioned indicated an adjustment problem.

"each lens captured more than the view finder said I was going to get! I am shooting stacks of beer cans right "yeah strange I spose" and they are stack in rows as well as one on top of the other to build a wall. I setup the shot and get all the edges nice and even so as to not get half a can on one side and a complete can on the opposing edge. I take the shot but end up with half a can on one side and unwanted background on the other, even though the shot is lined up spot on in the view finder, Is this something that can be adjusted or is out of adjustment?

EOS 20D(w remote switch), 17-40 f/4 L, 70-200 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, TC 1.4X, 580EX (w/off camera shoe), Canon S500, Apple Powerbook G4 867 w/Photoshop CS2

sponsored links

1,986 views & 0 likes for this thread
20D & Not getting exactly what I see! Help?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.