Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Aug 2010 (Wednesday) 23:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Took a fall, so did my lens (24-70 yea, really)... (Damage pic included)

Johnny ­ Mango
90 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 04, 2010 23:54 |  #1

Oh my gosh, I never thought i'd be making one of these posts. There are only two groups: those who've dropped their gear, and those who have yet to drop it.

Well, I was celebrating my anniversary with my girlfriend down in San Juan Capistrano. Walking back to the hotel, we crossed a driveway entrance that was moderately slanted. The concrete had some wet patchy spots from cars that had driven though the gutter.

As we were chatting and crossed I must have stepped on a wet spot with my sandal(s) and lost traction. My legs slid out from under me sideways and I landed on my right side. I wear my gear with an r-strap when walking about, makes it easier. As I fell down, instead of landing on my hip, the camera and lens cushioned my fall.

I heard the lens hood scrape on the sidewalk then pop off the lens mounts. I felt my full weight bear down on the camera as I fell because I really had slipped and had absolutely no footing. Even trying to get up I was slipping and on my knees.

Upon inspection, I saw the lens hood hanging off the lens stuck on by the front lens ring. The front metal ring was severely distorted and bent. The lens cap doesn't even come close to fitting, its not circular anymore. The element was fine, 0 scratches. I attribute that to the lens hood being on as I always have it (i'm not a uv filter user). It was mounted on my GFs rebel t1i which was perfectly clean and functional(thank god). The lens still focused. The barrel felt slightly wobbly when the lens extended, and the zoom ring was binding by the 24 side and from 50-70 side.

I was absolutely mortified for the rest of the night. Tried to shake it off but felt sick to my stomach. The lens was barely 7 months old. We headed home the next day and THANKFULLY we have the Canon Factory Service center in Irvine. It was right off the freeway on the way home from San Juan Capistrano and we dropped off the gear there for repair.

Left the 24-70 with them paid the standard $158 labor fee (additional costs found after opening up the lens they will call me). Left the rebel t1i there for inspection and cleaning. Covered free under warranty. The tech looked at it and "this fell? there are no scratches or anything. Don't worry about the warranty being voided. We'll cover it free." SWEET!! I also dropped off my 1dmk2 for cleaning, paid the standard $30 fee, not free anymore.

So there we stand. Look at the aftermath pics and I'll post back when I get the lens back. *sigh* I still feel sick from hurting my poor lens but at least she'll get fixed...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

1Dmk2 | 24-70L| "Nifty Fifty" | Tokina 12-24 F4 | 430EX |
J.Manangan Photography (external link)
Wish List: 70-200 F2.8L, 85 1.8

sponsored links
jeromego
Goldmember
3,906 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 05, 2010 00:00 |  #2

sorry to hear that...i'm sure they'll be able to fix it. are you filipino by any chance?

Jerome
Gear List
Canon CPS Member
www.lightsandimages.co​m (external link)
facebook (external link)

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 05, 2010 00:15 |  #3

Oh god that looks awful. At least they seem nice in their service.

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 05, 2010 00:24 |  #4

jeromego wrote in post #10664787 (external link)
sorry to hear that...i'm sure they'll be able to fix it. are you filipino by any chance?

are you? ;)

whew... I really hope if it does happen to me... at least with the cheapest lens I have.

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

winmazing
315 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 05, 2010 00:29 |  #5

Correct the first pic in photoshop for corner distortion and it should look as good as new!

Sorry about your accident.

Shutterstock (external link) | flick (external link)r (external link) | Canon EOS 5D MK II | Canon EOS M
AF: Canon EF 24-104mm f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200mm F/4L IS, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 35mm f/1.4
MF:
Mir-24H 35mm f/2.0, Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4, Olympus OM Zuiko Auto-W 24m f/2.8

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 05, 2010 00:33 as a reply to  @ winmazing's post |  #6

Ouch! Sounds like Canon stepped up for you though - that's good to hear. The sound of camera gear hitting the ground is a sickening sound.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

neonlazer
343 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 05, 2010 00:35 |  #7

Probably need to replace the barrel..but that's easier said than done..

Flickr (external link)
Gear

chantu
904 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 05, 2010 00:38 |  #8

Your lens gives a new definition to the term "barrel distortion"

Canon 5D mk3, 7D mk2, 7D, 17-40L, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 70-200mm IS, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 17-50 OS, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 24-70VC 580ex flash (x3), 550ex, Yonguo 622C triggers, Fuji XE-1, 18-55mm Flickr (external link)Feedbacks of Items Sold/Bought *

jeromego
Goldmember
3,906 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 05, 2010 00:40 |  #9

monk3y wrote in post #10664870 (external link)
are you? ;)

whew... I really hope if it does happen to me... at least with the cheapest lens I have.

very cebuano.

Jerome
Gear List
Canon CPS Member
facebook (external link)

Johnny ­ Mango
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 05, 2010 00:49 |  #10

Thanks everyone! I'm hoping Canon will come though with the fix at a reasonable cost. The lens still zoomed and focused when I left it for service. @JeromeGo yes, I'm Filipino! Was it the last name that gave it away?

1Dmk2 | 24-70L| "Nifty Fifty" | Tokina 12-24 F4 | 430EX |
J.Manangan Photography (external link)
Wish List: 70-200 F2.8L, 85 1.8

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 05, 2010 00:59 |  #11

Johnny, I had a similar problem with my 24-70. A runaway basketball hit the floor behind me and knocked my camera out of my hand up into the air and it landed 6-8 feet from me on the hardwood floor. I had just bought the lens from a lady that had owned it for 2 months. Now, 2 hrs later it was broke. I sent it to Canon with the CPS voucher. They had to replace the zoom mechanism because it wouldn't zoom to 24. It wound up costing me almost $200 but it works like new and I got it back in 4 days!

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

jeromego
Goldmember
3,906 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 05, 2010 01:19 |  #12

Johnny Mango wrote in post #10664978 (external link)
Thanks everyone! I'm hoping Canon will come though with the fix at a reasonable cost. The lens still zoomed and focused when I left it for service. @JeromeGo yes, I'm Filipino! Was it the last name that gave it away?

same here...that and the pics on your website. :)

Jerome
Gear List
Canon CPS Member
facebook (external link)

asamimasa
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 05, 2010 01:26 |  #13

All of the broken lens threads these past few days makes me afraid to take any of my gear outside :/

Gear List here

crayzie418
635 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 05, 2010 01:29 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

Ouch sorry to hear

7D - 24-70L 28mm 1.8
LOOKING TO BUY: 70-200 f4L IS
Strobist

pitabread
834 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 05, 2010 01:30 |  #15

Ouch, I cringed at the sight of those pictures. Still, at least the glass wasn't damaged.

Bodies: EOS 7D, Rebel XT/350D
Lenses: 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS
Accessories: Speedlite 580EX II, Gitzo 1541T tripod, Markins Q3 Traveler ballhead

sponsored links

7,831 views & 0 likes for this thread
Took a fall, so did my lens (24-70 yea, really)... (Damage pic included)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.