Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 05 Aug 2010 (Thursday) 13:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1d4 accessories

weegee
486 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 05, 2010 13:53 |  #1

getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger.

What do you all suggest for memory cards and extra batteries (does sterlingtek offer same model, I've got for 5d and love them)?

Also, I noticed multiple memory options on the camera? Is 1 format for still and 1 for video?

I've got a mix of CF Sandisk Extreme III, Ultra II, and Kingston x133. Wondering if I need something faster with the 10fps

My Online Gallery: http://fotoluigi.zenfo​lio.com/ (external link)
Elan II, 5D3, 17-40L f/4, 24-105L f/4, 70-200L f/4, 85 f/1.8, 50 f/1.8

sponsored links
weegee
THREAD ­ STARTER
486 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 12, 2010 14:14 |  #2

bump. can anyone help?

ELT_Photo
301 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 13, 2010 02:52 |  #3

The speed of the card does not affect the fps, it affect the speed the buffer writes to the card - the faster the card, the faster the buffer empties (up to the cameras max write speed). I use Trancend 400x cf cards and am very happy with them.
The 1DmkIV has 2 card slots, 1 cf and 1 sdhc, and can be set to write to both, write raw to one and jpegs to the other, or write to one and auto-switch to the other when the first is full - great for shooting long bursts of BIF or motorsports.
Sterlingtek does not list an LP-E4 equivalent, though there some on ebay. The LP-E4
has a chip to monitor battery performance and health and indicate when the battery
need a recondition cycle. AFAIK, none of the non-Canon batteries are chipped, though I cannot say that they don't exist.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Eric

Passion - Dedication - Inspiration (and some gear)

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 13, 2010 06:59 |  #4

Here some reading for you, if you haven't already done it. May help with your accessory choices.

1dm4 white paper
http://www.usa.canon.c​om …-1D%20Mark%20IV%20WP1.p​df (external link)

1dm4 instruction manual
http://www.picturehire​.com …%20Operation%20​Manual.pdf (external link)

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

weegee
THREAD ­ STARTER
486 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 13, 2010 16:11 |  #5

many thanks to both of you.

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 14, 2010 01:04 as a reply to  @ weegee's post |  #6

Yeah, a spare battery is an option. They last forever. I shoot a lot and I bought a spare with my first MKIII. I swap it out now and then to use it, but I've never had to change one in the field. A long day may well be 5 32 GB cards with RAW (1200 to 1400 a card) and the battery will be low but never ran out. Pretty awesome battery...

Cards, I use GMONSTERS in the MK4 from www.DVNATION.COM (external link). 32 GB CF writes at 50Mg/sec for $149... Got 8 of them, super fast (say 2 to possibly 3 RAWs a second)... Buffer clears up long before the next airplane gets into position.

SD cards, I used TRANSCEND 16GB and shoot the still (non moving) pics on it. When there is action, I switch over to the CF cards. So I save the fast cards.

MK4 is an awesome camera, if I could have only ONE that would be it.

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

sponsored links

1,643 views & 0 likes for this thread
1d4 accessories
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.