Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 05 Aug 2010 (Thursday) 19:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

500th Post Grand Canyon

dano57
793 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 05, 2010 19:57 |  #1

Well I thought since this is my 500th post I should post an Iconic image, so here is one of Grand Canyon that I like. Hope you enjoy it.

IMAGE: http://imagesbywest.net/img/s8/v9/p344212983-5.jpg

Dan - Central Oklahoma
www.imagesbywest.net (external link)
www.classychassisphoto​.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/ClassyChassisPhoto (external link)

sponsored links
IShootThings
I thought I was special.......
2,032 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 05, 2010 21:52 |  #2

awesome but what's up with the clouds? they look funny... maybe a little blown out.

Canon 5D3, Canon XTI (IR converted), 24-70 f2.8L, 16-35 f4L, 50 1.4, 70-200 f2.8L, 100 2.8 macro, 430 ex & 580 exII speedlights.

MCAuburn
306 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 05, 2010 22:40 |  #3

Beautiful photo.

My Flickr (external link)
Recent Photos on FlickrRiver (external link)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 05, 2010 23:32 |  #4

Great shot (though I'm also wondering about the clouds)...went to the GC last year and going back again in a month!

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

irishman
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 06, 2010 01:21 |  #5

That's about as good as it gets for the Grand Canyon---a spectacular place to see live but harder than hell to do justice to it in a photograph. I may not even take my camera next time I go, I just find it frustrating to try to get a decent frame. Its wierd---I can fill card after card at Bryce, Zion, MV, Arches, etc., but stand on the rim of the world's greatest natural wonder and I'm dumbstruck.

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 06, 2010 02:07 |  #6

irishman wrote in post #10671267 (external link)
That's about as good as it gets for the Grand Canyon---a spectacular place to see live but harder than hell to do justice to it in a photograph. I may not even take my camera next time I go, I just find it frustrating to try to get a decent frame. Its wierd---I can fill card after card at Bryce, Zion, MV, Arches, etc., but stand on the rim of the world's greatest natural wonder and I'm dumbstruck.

Absolutely! I got a few good ones at GC, but they were not easy...at Bryce, however, point the camera at just about anything and it'll look great.

I think the challenge with the GC is that there really isn't much there (when compared to something like Bryce). I mean the GC (and I say this as someone who's driving nearly 10,000km for the second time in just over a year to see it) is just a gigantic ditch. It's hard to really show its sheer size and grandeur on a picture...whereas the colours and shapes of something like Bryce just naturally pop...

-=Gear=-

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 06, 2010 05:41 |  #7

Congrats on the 500th post and what a great image! It truly is beautiful place. Did you use a GND filter on this image or a CPF? What ever you did, it worked. Great job!

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

g0bl0k
552 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 06, 2010 10:50 as a reply to  @ georgebowman's post |  #8

Is this from south rim?
So for all of you who have been to grand canyon, when is the best time of the year to go there? weather-wise, light, etc.

My Junk

Gmb1
100 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 06, 2010 11:27 |  #9

Great shot.
We went to the Gran canyon 15 years ago, during our honeymoon. It was spectacular, but very cold even if it was may.

www.castegnero.eu (external link)
www.gmbighellonando.it (external link)
Canon 7 | Canon G3 | Canon 5D | Canon 17-40 f/4 L | Canon EF 70-200 f/4 L IS | Canon 50 f/1.8

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 06, 2010 11:42 |  #10

g0bl0k wrote in post #10673001 (external link)
Is this from south rim?
So for all of you who have been to grand canyon, when is the best time of the year to go there? weather-wise, light, etc.

I'm 99% sure that's the South Rim :) I'm not sure how much time of year matters...time of DAY matters a lot more...sunrise/sunset will get you amazing shots...midday will get you ho-hum shots.

I went at the end of June last year and the whole place was hazy thanks to forest fires all around...so that's something to consider too.

-=Gear=-

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 06, 2010 13:51 |  #11

Wonderful image of an Iconic American landscape. But what's up with only 500 posts and you joining back in Aug. 2006? Get on it man! take a few more shots and share a bunch as well!

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

rgmcleod
618 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 06, 2010 16:47 |  #12

Good contrast on a great shot!

Ron McLeod
"Remember, you are unique. Like everyone else"
Pentax Spotmatic, Nikon Photomic FTN, Olympus 2100UZ, Canon SD200, SD400, SD 630, Canon G9, Canon 30D (28-135MM, 70-300MM, 10-22MM) Speedlite 580 EX II

dano57
THREAD ­ STARTER
793 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 06, 2010 18:08 |  #13

As to the clouds, there were thunderstorms in the area and most of the sky was somewhat lighter in the original so I used a gradient to darken the sky to make the clouds pop out a bit in CS4, I probably need to work some more on them. Just ordered some graduated ND filters to work on this area of my photography so no, I didn't use that or the CPL.

500th post since 2006, well I read more than I post and I just recently decided to be more engaged so I am forcing myself to participate.

The GC is so massive I find it hard to translate into a photo, I did like the way this one came out though, but now I have to work on some clouds!

Dan - Central Oklahoma

daclozer
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 06, 2010 22:30 |  #14

g0bl0k wrote in post #10673001 (external link)
Is this from south rim?

It doesn't matter, I have been there several times at different times of the year and it is always spectacular. The best tip I can give you is DO NOT go there without a circular polarizing filter. It makes an incredible difference.

2 30D/BG-E2
70-200L f2.8 Canon
28-75mm f2.8 Tamron
www.freezeframefoto.bi​z (external link)
http://www.etsy.com/sh​op/freezeframefoto (external link)

dano57
THREAD ­ STARTER
793 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 06, 2010 22:53 |  #15

Yes this is the south rim BTW, where all the loges and restaurants are.

Dan - Central Oklahoma

sponsored links

2,512 views & 0 likes for this thread
500th Post Grand Canyon
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.