Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Aug 2010 (Friday) 10:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Underwater shooting

col4bin
Goldmember
2,264 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 06, 2010 10:01 |  #1

Does anyone have any experience with the Aquatica housings for Canon. They are really expensive and I was wondering how they work.

I want to begin shooting underwater when I dive. I could get a sealife underwater camera but they only shoot in JPEG.

If anyone has any other ideas I am open to hearing them.

Frank
http://www.fiorentinop​hotography.com (external link)
My Gear

sponsored links
dpds68
Goldmember
1,464 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 06, 2010 10:14 |  #2

A buddy has a Ikelite housing for his 5D that he dives with and worked great till it leaked a bit this weekend now he has a lens off to clean .

David

Gripped Canon 7D,20D,XT / Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8 , 70-200 2.8L,EF50mm1.8 II,Sigma 150-500mm OS, Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
Vivitar285Hv x2,Canon430EX,Nissin Di866,CTR-301P Triggers,
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dpds68/ (external link)

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 06, 2010 10:58 |  #3

Underwater housings for dslr's can get quite pricey. You could get something like a G series camera and one of Canon's dedicated housings for it if you want to shoot raw.

col4bin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,264 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 06, 2010 11:57 |  #4

crn3371 wrote in post #10673050 (external link)
Underwater housings for dslr's can get quite pricey. You could get something like a G series camera and one of Canon's dedicated housings for it if you want to shoot raw.

I have a G11 however I was concerned about lighting. I guess I could carry a strobe with me however that becomes one more thing to keep track of.

Frank
My Gear

colinm85
236 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 19, 2010 08:11 as a reply to  @ col4bin's post |  #5

Absolutely agree with the underwater housing for the G series. I have posted a few sample shots from a recent Virgin Islands trip (Virgin Islands Sealife thread in the Wildlife forum) that I took using a G9 and it's custom Canon underwater housing. As I mention in the thread, I believe point-and-shoot is the way to go underwater, and I use the G9 to take advantage of the ability to shoot in RAW. Other examples on my Picasa site if you are interested. Enjoy

Colin

Colin
Canon 60D, Canon EOS Rebel XS
Canon G15
My Flickr Albums (external link)

lerroy
414 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 19, 2010 08:33 |  #6

Yeah same here i have stuck with My G10 with Canon housing i use a tray and arm that holds a Inon Strobe you will really need a strobe if you are gonna dive below the sunlight level

i have considered the 7D and housing many times but for the cost of the housing and domes just not worth it for how many times i dive a year

check out http://www.scubaboard.​com …s/underwater-photography/ (external link)

lots of helpful advice on this subject

JLB Photography Website (external link)
5D MKII / 5D MKIII - 17-40L - 85 1.2 L - 50 1.2 L - 70-200 F2.8 L - 100 L 2.8 Macro - 24-70 2.8L - Samyung 14mm 2.8 - 300mm F4 L

lerroy
414 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 19, 2010 08:39 |  #7

col4bin wrote in post #10673342 (external link)
I have a G11 however I was concerned about lighting. I guess I could carry a strobe with me however that becomes one more thing to keep track of.

your really going to need a strobe with a SLR rig as well unless you just snorkeling or diving above 10 metres in clear waters

i know its looks bulky above water with houseings and arms and strobe but underwater its not much of a issue.

5D MKII / 5D MKIII - 17-40L - 85 1.2 L - 50 1.2 L - 70-200 F2.8 L - 100 L 2.8 Macro - 24-70 2.8L - Samyung 14mm 2.8 - 300mm F4 L

col4bin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,264 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 19, 2010 13:34 |  #8

Thanks for the responses. My wife has a G11. Maybe I should just get a housing for that. There are several housings at different price points. Is the Canon one ok?

The new S95 looks like it might be a good option as well.

Frank
My Gear

lerroy
414 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 19, 2010 19:36 |  #9

Yeah the S90 and the G series are awesome for underwater so the S95 would be a great option

couple of choices i went the canon houseing to save money 40metres is fine for me

you could go ikelite or FIX houseing but they are all alot more expensive than the canon OEM one like 3 and 4 times for the G Series anyway

seriously check out the canon section of scuba board
http://www.scubaboard.​com/forums/canon-corner/ (external link)
there are threads about the s90 g series hosing etc...and these guys know their stuff

Good luck

LennyDoolan
262 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 19, 2010 19:48 |  #10

saw one for sale on the fredmiranda forums

Canon Forums Feedback
FredMiranda Feedback (external link)

roakey
32 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 20, 2010 00:12 as a reply to  @ LennyDoolan's post |  #11

I recommend you ask your question over on Scubaboard (external link).

...or to more correctly state it, I'd search over on Scubaboard and if you don't find your question already answered, then ask.

There's literally years of data over there, and if you search I bet you'll find your question already answered.

Roak

roakeyatunderctekdotco​m (INVALID EMAIL)
<== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!

spear
559 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 20, 2010 01:05 as a reply to  @ roakey's post |  #12

I have both the G9 and G11 with underwater housings. It works very well and will take some pretty amazing pictures. I would do away with taking any flash photos as that tends to screw up the pictures by lighting stuff in front of the lens. I recently bought a strobe which puts the flash to the side and avoids back scatter but to be honest haven't used it. The G11 helps in that it gives you about 2 stops more flexibility to take pictures with higher ISO's. I guess you can go up to 400 ISO with no problems with the G11, and maybe 200 ISO with G9. I always use RAW and fix WB at home.

Canon 40D, 5DII, 5DIII, G9,G11,S100,G1X, Canon lenses 600mmL f/4 ,24mm-105L f/4, 16-35L II f/2.8, 70-200L II f/2.8, EF 100mm f/2.8, EF 50 f/1.4,17-85 EFS, 10-22 EFS, 580 EX, 2x 580 EXII, 270EX,STE2, 1. 4x Converter, 2.0x Converter. Nikon 800E w/Nikkor 24-70

colinm85
236 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 20, 2010 06:53 as a reply to  @ spear's post |  #13

If you have acess to a G11, not sure why I'd buy a S95. My G9 is great, althoutg one word of caution is that I don't scuba, I only snorkel. Agree with pretty much all the points of the previous poster on technique. Also, looks like you have Lightroom. Shooting RAW and using Lightroom is a great option.

Colin
Canon 60D, Canon EOS Rebel XS
Canon G15
My Flickr Albums (external link)

MarKap77
806 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 20, 2010 11:41 as a reply to  @ colinm85's post |  #14

Col4bin,

Like any other photography discipline, underwater photography is all about the light. If you don't have good light, you can't get a good photo.

The problem in underwater photography is there is very little natural light, and what light there is has had all the reds removed once you get below about 10 feet/3 meters. Consequently, you have to "take the light with you". An underwater light is absolutely essential to getting an image with anything close to good color in it.

The problem with most inexpensive underwater setups is that they have very limited ability to add light. The above posts that recommend a Canon G-series camera in the Canon housing are good suggestions, but even those setups have their limitations. If you are using the onboard flash, you are VERY limited. The first problem you encounter is backscatter. If the water is anything less than crystal clear, all of the stuff floating in the water will reflect light back at the lens and you get what looks like snow. This has ruined more than a fair share of my attempts at underwater. Just like flash photography in air, you have to get the strobe(s) away from the camera. Being offset from the lens' line of sight minimizes backscatter, as well as gives you a more interesting image.

The next problem is that, underwater, light falloff is so fast that you have to get really close to things. I have two Ikelite DS-125 strobes and the table of effective distance says that at ISO 100 and f/4 that the light is only good to a distance of 8 feet/2.5 meters. At f/5.6 it is limited to 6 feet/2 meters. The farthest distance shown on the table is about 17 feet/5 meters but that requires ISO 200 and f/2.8 (too narrow depth of field for me) or ISO 800 at f/5.6 (depth of field is okay, but ISO 800 on my 30D is a little too noisy).

It is kind of funny watching two people underwater when one is trying to show the other about taking photos. The teacher is constantly grabbing the student and pushing him/her closer to whatever they are photographing.

If you want to start out with the Canon G camera and the Canon housing to match, that will be great. Besides underwater, the housing protects the camera in any sort of hostile environment, like just sitting at the beach, or in rain, etc. Adding a separate strobe will improve the underwater photography immensely. I used to have a G-9 and Canon housing. Sold them to a friend. A great setup for beginning.

Next issue to consider is maintenance on the housing. This is critical! Ensuring that the housing is properly sealed before each dive is only part of the equation. Check the o-ring for splits or cracks and be sure there is nothing, and I mean NOTHING!, on the o-ring. One human hair or one grain of sand can compromise the seal's integrity. Then ZAP, you have a large hunk of plastic, metal and glass that is only good as a paperweight. Even more important is ongoing maintenance. O-rings should be changed probably annually, and it wouldn't hurt to have the housing pressure tested on a regular basis. Also, returning to the manufacturer at the end of your diving season for a good cleaning and evaluation is a good idea. I'm lucky enough to live close to the Ikelite facility here in Indianapolis and know many of the people there. I am going on a dive trip with them to Grand Cayman next month and I was able to just drop my stuff off for a thorough check out.

Here are some photos of my gear. It is a Canon 30D in an Ikelite housing with two DS-125 substrobes. I have a dome port (shown) which will allow use of my 18-55mm and my 10-22mm ultawide. I have a flat lens port for use with my 100m macro.

This is the camera in the housing with the dome port and 18-55. Strobes are attached. This setup weighs 18.4 pounds/8.4 kilos in the air and is slightly negatively buoyant underwater.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Rear view of setup.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

closeup of the back of the housing

IMAGE NOT FOUND

All packed up and ready to go.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Here is a photo of me with my gear during a dive in Bonaire. Taken with a G-9 in a Canon housing.

IMAGE: http://tailwind.smugmug.com/Other/Bonaire/camera/680655083_JhihG-XL.jpg

And this is one of my favorite underwater images. A cleaner shrimp sitting in an anemone. The shrimp is about 1 inch/2.5cm long.

IMAGE: http://tailwind.smugmug.com/Other/Bonaire/shrimps/507823132_AByEh-XL.jpg

Mark
My Gear List

"I don't travel to get to work, travel IS my work!

col4bin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,264 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 21, 2010 00:53 |  #15

Thanks for all the responses. I am not sure I want to make the investment in a housing for my 5DII or 7D. I have priced it and it is more than I want to spend.

I have been looking at using the FIX housing and an Inon z240 strobe with the G11. It looks like a good compact option and has gotten top reviews from other users. The wide angle option with this setup is a dry lens. I cannot say if that is something that will bother me or not. I am not sure I want to be messing with making any changes between macro and wide angle underwater.

Frank
My Gear

sponsored links

8,060 views & 0 likes for this thread
Underwater shooting
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.