Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Aug 2010 (Saturday) 16:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can someone with a 70-200L do me a HUGE favor?

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 07, 2010 16:59 |  #1

Hi all,

I have a Magic Drainpipe (80-200mm f/2.8L). I adore it. However, since it's 20 years old, the rubber zoom ring is loose and I'm guessing Canon isn't going to replace it. I'm not going to be able to call the parts department/repair center until Monday, so I was wondering if any of you guys could do me a favor:

If you've got a 70-200L (I imagine a 2.8 non-IS would be the closest, but any of them would probably be helpful), would you mind measuring the circumference and width of your black rubber zoom ring (the more precise the better)? If any of them are close to the Drainpipe's, then I imagine the repair will be easy. There's one guy selling an actual replacement zoom ring on eBay, but he's charging $42 for it and that seems stupendously expensive!

Thanks a TON ahead of time! I'll owe you a virtual coffee!

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 07, 2010 17:31 |  #2

Sure thing! My 70-200mm f/2.8 IS zoom ring rubber band is 32.5mm wide and about 266mm around. This was done using a metal millimeter ruler, eyeballing the band width and wrapping string around the ring and then measuring the length of the string.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 07, 2010 17:33 |  #3

Mine is an IS (Mark I)... I imagine Canon uses the same general parts for IS and non-IS models, for sake of manufacturing efficiency and cost.

The zoom ring is 1.25 inches/or 32mm wide. It's circumference is just a hair shy of 10.75 inches/more accurately 271.5mm. (Note: I measured circumference by wrapping tape around the lens zoom ring snuggly, marking it with a pen, removed the tape and laid it out flat, then measured between the marks... So this is an outside dimension. Measuring the inside circumference would mean removing the rubber grip. The grip area stands slightly proud from the ring/lens barrel... so measuring around that would be slighltly less, somewhere in between the inside and outside circumfernece.)

If you can't find something that fits, there are alternatives.

Cheapest is a good hardware store might have black "non-slip tape" for use on steps and such. A store near me sells it by the foot. It's self-adhesive and rubberized with a coarse random texture. It won't hold to tight curves (the way camera leatherette does), but should would fine on the gentler curve of a large diameter lens like this. You'd have a seam, but it wouldn't be very obvious.

Another option would be actual camera body leatherette materials. I've used it on lens focus/zoom rings, and even inset it into lens caps to match, all of which matched camera bodies covered with the same materials. Again, you'll end up with a seam but if cut carefully it would be pretty hard to see. A lot of it is self-adhesive. www.micro-tools.com (external link) has a modest selection of some standard leatherette materials. www.cameraleather.com (external link) is another possible source... In fact they used to have a rubber-like cover that had a pattern that was vaguely similar to the grip on my 70-200, dunno if they still carry it, it's not on their website... email Morgan and ask. Check out the Griptac materials (although only in dark and light gray it appears. They also have a wide selection of exotic materials and colors, if you want to go a bit crazy with it! (Black lizardskin is gorgrous stuff and gives a much better grip than you might expect, but is probably too thin for a focus or zoom ring.)
In case you don't know... here's how to hide the seam... Cut the replacement part for width first, then install it leaving it a bit long and overlapping. Then use an Xacto knife to cut the excess, cutting through both the overlapped layers while the material is in place on the lens. This gives you a perfectly matched seam. Depending upon the materials, you might need to use a Sharpie to "dye" the edges black (assuming you used black materials).

I take my Starbucks black. :D

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

cptrios
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 07, 2010 17:35 |  #4

Wow thanks so much guys! I owe you one! I don't have my Drainpipe here at the moment to compare, but I'll do it as soon as I get home!

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent

levitening
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 07, 2010 18:18 |  #5

According to this link (external link), the 70-200mm 2.8 non-IS is slightly smaller than the IS or IS II versions. I don't have access to my 70-200mm 2.8 non-IS right now, but I'll be able to get it on Monday if someone else doesn't respond.

50D/17-55mm f2.8 IS/70-200mm f2.8L/10-20mm f4-5.6/50mm f1.8/580EX/

w7cma
459 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 07, 2010 18:43 as a reply to  @ levitening's post |  #6

Go to an electrical supply house (not electronics but electrical ) they will have large shrink tube used to cover large cable connections. You can cut a band off the tube, slip it over the lens and heat it with a heat gun to shrink it. I have some here and it is rubberized so it has a good feel.

With the touch of a button, I can speak a thousand words.

cptrios
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 07, 2010 19:51 |  #7

Nuts! The Drainpipe's circumference seems to be more around 240mm (though the width of the band looks about the same 32-33mm, so that's good)! So levitening, I would be very grateful if you could measure your 2.8 non-IS!

And amfoto1and w7cma, thanks for all the advice! I don't know how ready I am to go with something adhesive, seeing as a frequent problem with old lenses is that screws under the zoom ring get a bit loose and snag while zooming. These screw-holes are, unfortunately, underneath the rubber. I'm going to call Canon Parts and see what they can do, but maybe I might as well just bite the bullet and buy the replacement thing from eBay. It'd probably make up that $40 in resale value if I ever do decide to let the Drainpipe go.

theextremist04
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 07, 2010 22:21 |  #8

cptrios wrote in post #10679935 (external link)
Nuts! The Drainpipe's circumference seems to be more around 240mm (though the width of the band looks about the same 32-33mm, so that's good)! So levitening, I would be very grateful if you could measure your 2.8 non-IS!

And amfoto1and w7cma, thanks for all the advice! I don't know how ready I am to go with something adhesive, seeing as a frequent problem with old lenses is that screws under the zoom ring get a bit loose and snag while zooming. These screw-holes are, unfortunately, underneath the rubber. I'm going to call Canon Parts and see what they can do, but maybe I might as well just bite the bullet and buy the replacement thing from eBay. It'd probably make up that $40 in resale value if I ever do decide to let the Drainpipe go.

The shrink tube isn't adhesive, it's a plastic tube that you could slip over and it shrinks when you heat it, so you could cut it off and put on a new piece as needed.

-Michael
Gear - Flickr (external link) - Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)

cptrios
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 07, 2010 23:12 |  #9

Oh yeah...duh!

Wouldn't it be a bit risky blasting my lens with a heat gun, though?

ed ­ from ­ pa
299 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 08, 2010 05:06 as a reply to  @ cptrios's post |  #10

Very!!!!!!!!!!!

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 08, 2010 05:14 |  #11

Another option is a local camera repairer. They are resourceful people. But have a chat with Canon before you do anything.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

nitehawk55
856 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 08, 2010 09:57 |  #12

Lowner wrote in post #10681365 (external link)
Another option is a local camera repairer. They are resourceful people. But have a chat with Canon before you do anything.

^^
this

cptrios
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 08, 2010 10:02 |  #13

Lowner wrote in post #10681365 (external link)

There is actually a camera repair place about 10 minutes away, now that I've looked around. Who knew? Sadly I'm going away for the week so it's going to have to wait. Either way I'm still crossing my fingers that Canon can do something for me...I can't imagine that a photo repair place is going to charge me less than that $40 (and I've seen some people say that they got rubber grips for other lenses from Canon for under $5). I'll let y'all know what happens!

sponsored links

2,386 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can someone with a 70-200L do me a HUGE favor?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.