Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
Thread started 08 Aug 2010 (Sunday) 12:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First macro outing

David_S
201 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 08, 2010 12:11 |  #1

I've been posting questions here since switching to Canon so I figure it's time to post a few images. I finally managed to get out with my T2i / Tamron 60mm 2.0 combo. This is my first attempt at macro after switching from a Sony A700 / Tamron 90mm macro. I like the reach of the 90mm a bit better but the 60mm performed well. I miss the in body IS of the Sony but everything is a compromise. These are all hand held with a 430 ex hand held 2 and 3. Camera in one hand and flash in the other made it tough to get focused :lol: I really need to get a bracket and make a diffuser. Thanks for looking.

DS

larvae

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

Yellow Crab spider. These little spiders are a joy to shoot.
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

pssstt cmere
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Added after Erik's Comment
Cooperate dragon
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

http://davidsprague.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Erik1974
212 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 08, 2010 12:34 |  #2

LMAO, that last one is priceless. Print worthy.

A picture a day keeps the doctor away
Stuff:--G11--Speedlite 270EX--Joby Gorillapod SLR Zoom--lensmate adapters--Hoya close up set +1, +2, +4--Lowepro Exchange Messenger--

orionmystery
Cream of the Crop
12,074 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 09, 2010 01:40 |  #3

Very nice shots, esp like the last two :)

Kurt
Upcoming Borneo Herp Tour: Nov 17, 2019; Jan 5, 2020.
Borneo Herp Tour Nov 4, 2018 (external link)

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 09, 2010 01:57 |  #4

Nice shots.

Paper Wasp larvae always look happy chappies! :D

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 09, 2010 03:37 |  #5

Great shots. Looks like your equipment is certainly delivering. I would recommend a small softbox on the flash perhaps. Would cut down the shadows and get rid of some of the harsher sun.

How are you liking the Tamron 60mm f/2 macro by the way? I've always found it an intriguing lens, but at the price, I haven't been able to justify adding it to my kit as a 3rd macro lens... (after 100mm and 35mm). Did you shoot anything none-macro with it yet?

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

LordV
Macro Photo-Lord of the Year 2006
60,756 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 09, 2010 03:40 |  #6

Wonderful series of shots !
Brian v.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lordv/ (external link)
http://www.lordv.smugm​ug.com/ (external link)
Macro Hints and tips
Canon 600D, 40D, 5D mk2, 7D, Tamron 90mm macro, Sigma 105mm OS, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits

David_S
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 09, 2010 06:08 |  #7

Thanks for the encouraging comments everyone.
Tweak I agree about the flash. I'm still trying to work on that. I had a metz macro flash (external link) that worked pretty well but the t2i does not have the ability to act as a controller so I couldn't use it with the new camera so it was sold with the rest of my other gear. I shoot macro in a mobile fashion ie crawling around with no tripod so I need to fashion something light and easy to move with. I have an OC cable and bracket that will hold the flash up a bit off the camera so I just need to fashion a soft box or diffuser for it and give it a try.
As to the 60mm macro I like it so far but haven't used it for much besides macro yet. I had a Tamron 90mm macro for several years and loved it. I almost bought another 90mm in Canon mount but decided to go with the 60mm f2.0 and use it for portraits as well but have not done so yet. I'll try to get some other types of images posted using the 60mm in the future. I'd really love to get a hold of a Canon 100mm 2.8 IS but can't justify the cost for recreational shooting.

DS

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 09, 2010 07:10 |  #8

Looks like great results for the 60/2 anyway. I posted some shots (here) yesterday with a Micnova MQ-B1A mini softbox yesterday.
It attaches really well, and works easier than a Lumiquest (at half the price). Didn't do a direct comparison yet, since I plan to use both :)

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

LLBNY
921 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 09, 2010 09:34 |  #9

200% for #3.
Very suggestive actually.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bugslou/collect​ions/ (external link)

liewwk
Goldmember
3,610 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 09, 2010 18:33 |  #10

beautiful set for 1st macro

liewwk
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/liewwk/ (external link)
liewwk Nature Photography (external link)

DanThoman
Goldmember
2,626 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 09, 2010 20:17 |  #11

Really like # 3. The others are also good. It was your caption on #3 that made it special.

Dan
my gear
www.thomanstudio.com (external link)
www.Buckheadwoodcrafte​rs.com (external link)
http://thomanstudio.co​m/blog (external link)

Shortyw81
268 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 09, 2010 20:41 |  #12

Lovely set! The third image + caption = hilarious I got a good laugh out of that! :D

David_S
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 10, 2010 06:00 |  #13

Thanks all, #3 is my fav as well.
Tweak thanks for the heads up on the Micnova. I haven't located a dealer here in the states so I may go with the lumiquest if I can't fab something on the cheap

sponsored links

1,637 views & 0 likes for this thread
First macro outing
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.