Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 08 Aug 2010 (Sunday) 16:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flat screen monitor

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 08, 2010 16:52 |  #1

I have an extra flat screen monitor I'd like to hook up to my camera when shooting bridal portraits indoors, is it possible to just find an accessory to use to just plug it into the camera and when I shoot an image have it displayed on the monitor?

Thanks for all replies.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 08, 2010 19:49 |  #2

I've never heard of any such thing, at least not for the cameras we use. You'd need a special output, a VGA or HDMI or some such thing -- extra hardware/real estate.

Laptops work for me (for now, until some such thing does make an appearance).

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 08, 2010 20:08 |  #3

tonylong wrote in post #10684573 (external link)
I've never heard of any such thing, at least not for the cameras we use. You'd need a special output, a VGA or HDMI or some such thing -- extra hardware/real estate.

Laptops work for me (for now, until some such thing does make an appearance).

Oh ok...if I use my laptop is there any special software? As far as processing I have cs5. But as soon as I shoot an image I'd like for it to come up on my screen so I can see what I shot..

Any special software?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 08, 2010 20:31 |  #4

The easiest solution is the use the EOS Utilities software that come on the software disk with the Canon cameras. You can then hook up a USB cable to the laptop and use that software to control the shooting in various ways depending on the model/newness of the camera. If your camera has Live View, for example, you can see a preview and make exposure adjustments with that. And, you can choose to either shoot manually or use the "shutter button" interface to take the shot.

You will want to create a folder for the shots that you reference in Utilities and open that folder in Bridge, so that when you take a shot it will "show up".

Lightroom came up with a "tethered shooting" utility with the release of LR3 that works with Canon cameras that doesn't have the Preview and other bells and whistles that the Canon software has but works the tethered shooting in with importing images into the catalog and interface a little more "cleanly" than Bridge. Also, EOS Utilities has a built-in "Work with DPP" interface so that if you wish you can use Digital Photo Professional to quickly view and process Raw files.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 09, 2010 15:19 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #5

That is great info..thanks.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,407 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flat screen monitor
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.