Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,940 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 21, 2011 12:09 |  #4486

RLPhoto wrote in post #13138538 (external link)
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA​HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA HOLY SMOKES.... I'M DYING!!!!! HAHA
yeah needless to say, we've learned our lesson from that....

and surprisingly, only the modelling lamp broke..... but the AB is in rough shape!!!! EINSTEIN FOR THE WIN!

dope shots Patro... i have no complaints! shout outs to the 135L and the ND viarable filter

OH Man.. DeJA Vu for me. Had a wedding this weekend and we had our soft box set up next to the lake photographying the couple. Gust of wind came out of nowhere and we lost an AB800 and pocket wizard. They went for a swim. I was Pizzzzzzzzed.:o:o

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,940 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 21, 2011 12:23 |  #4487

bobbyz wrote in post #13138592 (external link)
Patro, nice behind the scene video. I miss florida, went to school at UF. The water here in northern CA is so cold so good luck getting the model in water for more than 5 mins. Regarding bees dropping, mine did 2-3 times from the back of the car along with softbox when I open the door. Only mount broke. So they more resilient then most folks think. I am also more careful know and use much beefier stand so no sandbag doesn't worry me much now.

Ditto on the video. Nice job. EVERYONE notice that he had a light meter and was measuring his flash outputbw!. Good job. Another good point is how they positioned thier lights. They dont have to be right aimed at the subject. Feathering works well. Good job guys:cool:

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

RLPhoto
491 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 21, 2011 12:44 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #4488

umphotography - glad to see you bringing strobes out for weddings... i see way too many photographers being lazy and using on camera flash with an omnibounce OUTSIDE... FAIL!
Sorry to hear about your strobes.... :(

and shout out to the light meter... we arrived to the beach MAD late... by the time we set up our lights, the sun was literally touching the horizon...if it wasnt for the light meter we woulda been fiddling around with settings and missed the sunset.

thanks for peeping... i'll be in Chicago next week doing another BTS vid with Patro...

My Site (external link)

patliean1
381 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 21, 2011 14:46 |  #4489

umphotography wrote in post #13139682 (external link)
Ditto on the video. Nice job. EVERYONE notice that he had a light meter and was measuring his flash outputbw!. Good job. Another good point is how they positioned thier lights. They dont have to be right aimed at the subject. Feathering works well. Good job guys:cool:

Thanks a lot UMPHOTOGRAPHY, I totally forgot about that light meter clip haha.

Relz and I learned a lot from our trip to Orlando especially with having a specific goal in mind and finding the right tools to carry it out.

Thank you everyone!

...BECAUSE SEEKING VALIDATION FROM ANOTHER PHOTOGRAPHER IS WAY MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE OPINIONS OF PAID CLIENTS.
www.patrolind.com (external link)
www.vimeo.com/25753524 (external link) <------Behind the scenes video of my photoshoots! (Featured on FStoppers)

Arteel
439 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 21, 2011 17:49 |  #4490

My first Senior shoot:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Untitled (external link) by Arteel Photography (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

5Dc | EF 50 1.4 | EF 70-200 2.8L IS
-Ryan

CiM_Photography
Goldmember
1,813 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 22, 2011 07:41 |  #4491

So I FINALLY got to do my first Senior session on Monday. The client just approved most of the shots so I wanted to show you guys what I ended up with. She really likes them, which is the most important... but I've got to be honest and say that I actually like them too. I see some technical issues (like my 24-70 front-focusing :rolleyes: ) and some fall-off on some photos, as well as the need to gel the strobe. But I'm happy with my first experience.

Everything was lit with (1) AB-800 shot into a Steve Kaeser brollybox and mounted to an Impact Heavy Duty Air-Cushioned stand. No boom arm yet - but my lovely wife/assistant played the part well.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

_MG_9292 (external link) by Captured in Moments (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

_MG_9333 (external link) by Captured in Moments (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

_MG_9384 (external link) by Captured in Moments (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

_MG_9402 (external link) by Captured in Moments (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

_MG_9419 (external link) by Captured in Moments (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

_MG_9432 (external link) by Captured in Moments (external link), on Flickr

Just call me Jeremy. <Massachusetts Wedding & Portrait Photographer (external link) | Gear List>

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,456 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 22, 2011 08:34 |  #4492

Arteel nice start. Are these taken in monterey area?

Jeremy - I like these but you can see that smile in causing those lines which don't look good particularly when using strobes. #1 is better as less of a smile and I like the flare along with OOF background.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

CiM_Photography
Goldmember
1,813 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 22, 2011 08:40 |  #4493

Is it the angle of my strobe that needs changing, or should I just run some softening and remove the smile lines?

Just call me Jeremy. <Massachusetts Wedding & Portrait Photographer (external link) | Gear List>

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,456 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 22, 2011 08:50 |  #4494

Ask them not to smile but keep the mouth open just a little. Strobe angle will also make difference, if closer to the camera, less shadow on those smile lines. Look at the last one, strobe closer to camera angle and you less of an issue.

aaron.dunlap
Goldmember
1,805 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 22, 2011 09:13 |  #4495

I'm going to totally disagree with the whole smile lines thing. That is exactly what this girl looks like when she smiles. The *only* thing I might do is reduce the contrast a bit in that area of her face, but very VERY sparingly.

Its easy to look at thousands of model shots with the hours and hours of make-up work and retouching to give them perfect skin with no wrinkles or imperfections and think that you need to give a high school senior that same look.... but the truth is, this girl is beautiful. She has a great smile. She has lovely skin. You captured her quite well. Your exposures look good (the second sunset shot is a tad underexposed).

Bump the saturation for some color, set your contrast to taste and be done. These are fantastic shots that do not need a lot of work.

Just my two cents.

 Aaron

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 22, 2011 09:17 |  #4496

CiM_Photography wrote in post #13144270 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND

_MG_9419 (external link) by Captured in Moments (external link), on Flickr

Question for everyone (I hope you do not mind me using this as an example CiM_Photography?).

This image there is quite a heavy shadow to the right side of the girl.

Now would another light, softer, shining from behind her to her right stopped that?

Because with that heavy shadow, it looks like the strobe lights are there.

But with a light to the back of her, wouldn't that even the light out?

And would you need a strobe, or would a flash in an umbrella do the trick?

Or even just a bare flash?

"The general rule for flash photography is that you want the flash to go off while the shutter is open" (Titus213)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,456 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 22, 2011 09:24 |  #4497

aaron.dunlap wrote in post #13144653 (external link)
I'm going to totally disagree with the whole smile lines thing. That is exactly what this girl looks like when she smiles. The *only* thing I might do is reduce the contrast a bit in that area of her face, but very VERY sparingly.

As a guy I never care. But women/girls do. That is why I mentioned. They always want to look better and if we can help so be it. Otherwise why do any other pp?

CiM_Photography
Goldmember
1,813 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 22, 2011 09:37 |  #4498

Thanks for the feedback, Bobby & Aaron. I'm a firm believer in trial-by-doing and this session was no exception. I see now where I need to concentrate on improving, and your thoughts/comments help me identify those issues.

Her smile was somewhat odd, in that when she wasn't in a full smile she looked quite unhappy/unamused. I got her laughing as the session went on by making self-depricating comments and poking fun at things... and suddenly the photos started looking more friendly/lighthearted and natural.

I actually took some lines out through minor pp, along with the usual zit or two. The rest is as-shot.

CiM_Photography
Goldmember
1,813 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 22, 2011 09:40 |  #4499

mtimber wrote in post #13144680 (external link)
Question for everyone (I hope you do not mind me using this as an example CiM_Photography?).

This image there is quite a heavy shadow to the right side of the girl.

Now would another light, softer, shining from behind her to her right stopped that?

Because with that heavy shadow, it looks like the strobe lights are there.

But with a light to the back of her, wouldn't that even the light out?

And would you need a strobe, or would a flash in an umbrella do the trick?

Or even just a bare flash?

Please, call me Jeremy. And no, I don't mind at all since it was bugging me too.

Yes, cross-lighting would help reduce the shadow behind her, but so would a reflector. I could have also dragged the shutter a little more to provide some ambient fill.

At the point of day I was shooting, a flashlight could have done the trick. Well, not quite but you get the point. Anyhow, most of the shots I took would have been fine with a 580ex shot into an umbrella.

aaron.dunlap
Goldmember
1,805 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 22, 2011 09:46 |  #4500

bobbyz wrote in post #13144723 (external link)
As a guy I never care. But women/girls do. That is why I mentioned. They always want to look better and if we can help so be it. Otherwise why do any other pp?

I agree... but when it comes to something like the lines around her mouth... this is part of who she is. If it were crows feet, or uneven skin tones, or anything else that would have been a non-issue if a make-up artist had been present, then I'll photoshop it out... but when it comes to the natural shape her face makes when she smiles... all of that stuff stays (but like I said reduction of contrast to make it not stand out as much is the direction I would go).

 Aaron

sponsored links

2,745,509 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.