Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 18, 2012 00:05 |  #7291

wamerritt wrote in post #14284682 (external link)
Nice shot. I think your light should be a little higher. Your getting a bit too much light under her nose for my taste.

Her bf was my volunteer/assistant. :) He was better than a lot of my volunteer/assistants. :D One day I hope to be able to afford to hire a regular assistant. :)

Canon investor

sponsored links
wamerritt
192 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 18, 2012 00:08 |  #7292

I used to put a watermark, but I think they are UGLY. All of them. I know I'm missing out on some publicity, but I don't agree with all the photogs I see putting mean sounding captions about do not crop this photo and such. Please.....This is just one way I don't follow the crowd.

I put my info in the caption, and clients always refer me when people ask on their page. (I facebook stalk them for a couple of weeks after the photos go up.)

Wes
http://www.wesmerritt.​com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/wesmerrittphotograp​hy/ (external link)
Olympus OMD M43

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 18, 2012 00:16 |  #7293

there are some nice photographer logo's out there. :) I try to keep mine simple, but I tend to change it up every few months. my current one is more of a long rectangle with my studio name and number in it, and I try to place it in part of the picture that wont cover part of the body. I dont put "do not crop" etc on the picture itself, I usually ask they share the picture, but not to remove my logo or modify the picture on the facebook page itself. :)

only the online proofs get the annoying text on the picture, which isnt put online often. :)

I'll probably start to offer free timeline covers for those that want them. its a bit of an investment in time, but if its free it means I can put my studio name and number on it. :D If its popular enough Ill probably charge for it, probably $50 to cover my time and template expenses.

Canon investor

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 18, 2012 00:17 |  #7294

wamerritt wrote in post #14284529 (external link)
One from the session I'm editing tonight.

very nice. i'd try to salvage some of those crushed blacks in her hair. but other than that, really nice.

wamerritt
192 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 18, 2012 00:22 |  #7295

charro callado wrote in post #14284772 (external link)
very nice. i'd try to salvage some of those crushed blacks in her hair. but other than that, really nice.

Thanks! I respect your opinion very much. No clipping on my raw, but the jpeg def. looks a little darker.

Wes
Olympus OMD M43

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 18, 2012 00:24 |  #7296

GerryDavid wrote in post #14284647 (external link)
I dont post often. :) This is from yesterday, I had a 3rd session with this spokesmodel. The branch on the right is bugging me a bit, there was more to it but I cropped it off, I probably should clone it out. I left a reddish hue since it was sunset. :)

It was shot at 1/200 - F2.8 at iso200 with my vivitar 285 flash bounced off a 40" white umbrella. Then a slight glamour glow was painted in with a 33% flow brush to make the colors a bit more dramatic.

Pretty nice, but the flash is making some harsh light. Overall the photo is really contrasty and I'm not sure it works for her.

cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 18, 2012 00:42 |  #7297

GerryDavid wrote in post #14284704 (external link)
I put 2 or 3 teaser pictures on facebook the same day or the day after a portrait shoot, with my logo in the corner, at a res of 800px on the long side, sometimes 600px. Its just good business to do it, it gets people talking, their anxious to see them and so is their family.

And since they are processed, they tend to be purchased when I do the picture viewing, they stand out among the unprocessed pictures. So its not usually time wasted.

But if you are not putting your logo on them, then you are loosing out on free advertising. I dont know how many times ive seen an average person put up a folder of their new professional pictures on facebook with no info on the photographer to be found anywhere. So if someone loved the style and wanted to hire them, their out of luck, unless they ask and many people are to lazy to ask. :)

I started to offer complimentary small res digital files with logo with each purchased print last year. I got tired of seeing my prints on facebook taken by a camera, no sharpness, colors way off, and distorted.

Great advise here. I do the same thing and it works great. Last post I did with one of our senior on facebook reaped 4 inquiries and 2 bookings from just the teaser shots. I always wait a few days to tag the senior in the rest of the images on our fan page. It has always bothered me that there isnt a huge comment following, but the referrals always come in. So I am very happy with this technique and the senior always refers back to us.

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 18, 2012 00:49 |  #7298

wamerritt wrote in post #14284529 (external link)
One from the session I'm editing tonight.

QUOTED IMAGE

Great expression and great crop. I have been doing a lot of horizontal portraits and they have been selling very well. They are also great to add a "Senior '12" script in the negative space and use it as a teaser on facebook.

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 18, 2012 00:53 |  #7299

GerryDavid wrote in post #14284647 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

I dont post often. :) This is from yesterday, I had a 3rd session with this spokesmodel. The branch on the right is bugging me a bit, there was more to it but I cropped it off, I probably should clone it out. I left a reddish hue since it was sunset. :)

It was shot at 1/200 - F2.8 at iso200 with my vivitar 285 flash bounced off a 40" white umbrella. Then a slight glamour glow was painted in with a 33% flow brush to make the colors a bit more dramatic.

Bet she loved it.

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

wamerritt
192 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 18, 2012 01:23 |  #7300

couple more

IMAGE: http://www.aandestudios.com/Portraits/Nicki-senior-2012/i-Jm85mLL/0/L/IMG0150-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.aandestudios.com/Portraits/Nicki-senior-2012/i-rR2JHcK/0/L/IMG0586-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.aandestudios.com/Portraits/Nicki-senior-2012/i-kRKv5PD/0/L/IMG0617-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.aandestudios.com/Portraits/Nicki-senior-2012/i-HvhMPVJ/0/XL/IMG0676-XL.jpg
The last shot of the night. We both got pretty wet, but the camera didn't thankfully.

Wes
Olympus OMD M43

cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 18, 2012 01:26 |  #7301

wamerritt wrote in post #14285004 (external link)
couple more

QUOTED IMAGE

Love this. The colors. The processing. The pose. The dimples. My only critique would be to clone out the kid bending over in the background.

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 18, 2012 04:08 |  #7302

Donziikid wrote in post #14283676 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
Nikon D700 | Nikkor 28-70mm | Shot at: 70mm | f/2.8 | 1/60th | ISO 800

Comments, questions, and critiques all openly welcomed and encouraged! :)

Cheers,
Kyle

Really good composition and framing on this shot.

"I have applied for jobs at National Geographic, Sports Illustrated and Playboy. The phone should start ringing any minute now" (Curtis N)

KCMO ­ Reefer
301 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 18, 2012 07:23 |  #7303

Facebook is definitely a great marketing tool. I think posting teaser shots is a smart business move as most of these kids today have over 1000 "friends". I watermark mine so my name is seen.

I've heard that with online gallery proofing, people tend to be very slow to order. I've seen some put a 30 day limit on the gallery and then want to charge to repost it. I think it's just best to bring them back in and show them the proofs and let them order at that point. 30-40 pics shouldn't be overwhelming to decide from. I think if you're showing them more than that, you need to trim it down. I don't think they need 100 photos to decide from. Pic what you think are the very best.

Nice photos posted. Some of you have some great locations to shoot at. We have nice parks and such but no beaches here in the Midwest.

Canon 5D MKII gripped | 70-200mm f/2.8 L | 50mm f/1.4 | 580 EXII | AB 800's

USER876
Goldmember
1,616 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 18, 2012 07:41 as a reply to  @ KCMO Reefer's post |  #7304

I keep the viewing gallery up for 7 days (some only do it for 24 hours), otherwise it takes them FOREVER to place an order and I have to keep bugging them. $25 fee to reinstate the gallery after 7 days.

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,880 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 18, 2012 07:52 |  #7305

wamerritt wrote in post #14284164 (external link)
Awesome!

It's neat to see how many different ways we all came to this craft.

I'm living on a different planet from you. Photography was only a hobby for me, but in 2009 I was one of the "lucky" ones at my company to only lose 20% of my salary instead of my job. This photography business has enabled me to use the extra cash flow to get through tough times and keep my house. Now times are getting better so I'm no longer wanting to work every moment I'm awake.(I work a 50+ hour week at the day job) I will keep the business, but I'm trying to figure out how to fit it in to a more relaxed lifestyle. My children are 15 and 11, and are my assistants. We have lots of fun on shoots together, but it is not the same as true family time.

Might I suggest that if the kids enjoy it, if you can get it going, maybe they would take the business over and develop it further along. Theres a lot to it, but more importantly, its a skilled craft that they can use for a livelihood.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

2,727,932 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.