Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,698 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 24, 2012 23:10 |  #8641

I just got my changing tent in today. That thing is awesome! It folds to about the size of my 43 inch reflector and weighs only a bit more. Folding it is also a snap, unlike what some reviewers said on Amazon. I did it first try, no problem. So did the wife. :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 24, 2012 23:14 |  #8642

D. Vance wrote in post #14764819 (external link)
JPG isn't so bad; do it right the first time and there's no need for RAW; auto, though, is plain atrocious!

I find that when im outside the color balance is constantly changing, so with jpg it would be that much harder to get the color right. :)

Canon investor

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 24, 2012 23:16 |  #8643

I wish I had a vehicle that was large enough to allow me to transport chairs and those weird looking couches *no idea their proper name* to locations. someone needs to design an inflatable chair and couch set that looks realistic when at proper inflation. :D

I finally did a chair portrait the last time I did a senior portrait but that was because I was at their house and they had some nice ones by the pool.

Canon investor

sevillafox
I'm good with pathetic! Really, I am.
25,223 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 25, 2012 00:18 |  #8644

Settee. Usually Victorian. And, well. Bungee cords and ratchet straps make all things possible.

Tiffany
hopeless smooshoholic......I smoosh!

DinosaurioAllie
525 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 25, 2012 00:23 |  #8645

Guys- I broke down and bought the Shorty Forty. I needed something to replace my kit lens, I just needed to. I must say, so far, I absolutely LOVE it. Some of my newer shots on Flickr were taken with it.

I like this one (external link) in particular. Not very interesting technically or anything, but I like it. :p

Canon 7D | Canon 100mm f/2.8 | Canon 40mm f/2.8 | Mamiya RB67 | Mamiya Sekor 90mm f/3.8 | http://www.flickr.com/​mosbeckphotography (external link)
"There's a common misconception that all photographers want to photograph famous people, to be a paparazzi. To me that's like selling my soul. My photographs give thanks to people who have helped me out. Thats not selling my soul, that's gaining it." -Bob Campagna

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 25, 2012 07:40 |  #8646

D. Vance wrote in post #14764953 (external link)
Doesn't compress as much, and it's easier to PP, you can change White Balance and color a lot easier, and rescue blown highlights. I shoot in RAW some; I don't use them much; I like what comes SOOC more.

JPEG is probably a bad idea. There has been much written about both formats but white balance and the ability to recover blown highlights is one of the big reasons raw is a desired format over JPEG. What you see in your viewfinder is a JPEG file. Raw gives you total control and a better opportunity to control the entire dynamic range of the photos and allows the photographer to make decisions on sharpening and how the blacks and whites are applied,,,,,,,,,,JPEG does not do this. Countless top of the line industry experts advise to Shoot raw.Thats what i do and i get it right in camera as well

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 25, 2012 08:16 |  #8647

umphotography wrote in post #14766755 (external link)
JPEG is probably a bad idea. There has been much written about both formats but white balance and the ability to recover blown highlights is one of the big reasons raw is a desired format over JPEG. What you see in your viewfinder is a JPEG file. Raw gives you total control and a better opportunity to control the entire dynamic range of the photos and allows the photographer to make decisions on sharpening and how the blacks and whites are applied,,,,,,,,,,JPEG does not do this. Countless top of the line industry experts advise to Shoot raw.Thats what i do and i get it right in camera as well

Oh I do shoot it some. It's just a safety net to me; I rarely use them. If I mess up a shot I really like, then I'll use them.

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 25, 2012 08:29 |  #8648

D. Vance wrote in post #14766879 (external link)
Oh I do shoot it some. It's just a safety net to me; I rarely use them. If I mess up a shot I really like, then I'll use them.

???

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 25, 2012 08:32 |  #8649

charro callado wrote in post #14766909 (external link)
???

I shoot RAW + JPEG when i shoot RAW. Normally, I'll use the JPEG file, but if I messed it up, I can use the raw file and PP it.

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,435 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 25, 2012 08:34 |  #8650

max3k wrote in post #14764912 (external link)
One more from yesterday's session

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://facebook.com/rj​onesphotography  (external link)

Really nice.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 25, 2012 08:36 |  #8651

D. Vance wrote in post #14766921 (external link)
I shoot RAW + JPEG when i shoot RAW. Normally, I'll use the JPEG file, but if I messed it up, I can use the raw file and PP it.

Ok I see. That's a weird way to do it, but I understand what you meant now.

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 25, 2012 08:40 |  #8652

charro callado wrote in post #14766935 (external link)
Ok I see. That's a weird way to do it, but I understand what you meant now.

Then again, I am slightly weird! :lol:
I'll have to post a couple senior shots over!
I hope to have more this weekend; I'm doing my cousin's senior pictures.

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 25, 2012 08:53 |  #8653

Garrett:
The last one is one that everyone loves, it may not be quite perfect.
You could see some more here; its hard to pick out just 3!
http://razzi.me/albums​/16975-garrett (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

JewelsMari
150 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 25, 2012 09:02 |  #8654

charro callado wrote in post #14766909 (external link)
???

Me too.

I turned off my .jpeg setting entirely and shoot entirely RAW. Saves memory and I have more play when I'm editing.

Even if you get a shot right in camera, maybe you find something (a new technique or tutorial) that you can use it for. With a .jpeg you don't have as much room to work with since it is a compressed file format and has already been "developed" by your camera.

A RAW file is undeveloped data and can be processed however you want to in your "darkroom".

~ Julie
Flickr (external link)

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 25, 2012 09:28 |  #8655

JewelsMari wrote in post #14767036 (external link)
Me too.

I turned off my .jpeg setting entirely and shoot entirely RAW. Saves memory and I have more play when I'm editing.

Even if you get a shot right in camera, maybe you find something (a new technique or tutorial) that you can use it for. With a .jpeg you don't have as much room to work with since it is a compressed file format and has already been "developed" by your camera.

A RAW file is undeveloped data and can be processed however you want to in your "darkroom".

I guess it depends on your style; most of mine are not processed... I like the SOOC look.

sponsored links

2,730,465 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.