Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
apixelintime
Goldmember
2,123 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 30, 2012 08:39 |  #9631

wamerritt wrote in post #15186021 (external link)
Eeewwww!!!! I'd have to find a new hobby!

On humid days down here in FL it can be a lost cause. The flyaways are way too sharp in this. I'll try to tone them down a lil in the final edit, but removing them is way too time consuming for what I charge.

Exactly my point. This young lady - very pretty, reasonably well shot - has this hair that does this. It is too time consuming to correct in PP so smart money is to find a way to shoot it before you touch your camera. I know there is a product called 'frizz-ease', but it is basically mineral oil and I don't know how I feel about putting oil in a clients hair.

Christopher Cross | Apixelintime.com | Nightographer.com (coming soon)
Altering reality one pixel at a time.
A clicky thing | Severial twisty things | A couple of flashy things | A bunch of other things
Posing Guide (external link) | Galleries (external link) | flickr (external link) | FaceBook (external link) | Blog (external link)

sponsored links
umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 30, 2012 14:22 |  #9632

wamerritt wrote in post #15184257 (external link)
Here is sooc shot. I used a 580 in a soft box at 1/2 power. I was on a 5D so I had to use 1/160 for shutter speed.

QUOTED IMAGE

Wes.. Thats a great shot. Water balloon ?? and how many tries. Very cool:cool:

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 30, 2012 14:25 |  #9633

I want to try that baseball one now, but were covered in snow and its to cold do to it outside. :D

Canon investor

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 30, 2012 14:28 |  #9634

apixelintime wrote in post #15186003 (external link)
This is a question for everyone and not at all a critique: Is there anything that we as a photographer can do to lessen the strays? I have heard of some using a dryer sheer to smooth them down, but if it isn't a static thing I don't see that working.

Open up your bag of tricks and share!

Wow.. Thats a rats nest and a 1/2 right there...If your using CS5 you can use spot healing with content aware.. I would think anything you do will be time consuming and i would charge her accordingly,,,these kids show up to their sessions like this and i cringe...One would think that she would have gone in and got all the split ends cut off and cleaned up before she decided to do her senior pics.........unfortuna​tely they dont:mad:

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,435 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 30, 2012 15:13 |  #9635

I had one guy and his mom bring two shirts for the shoot. Both wrinkled like crazy.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,698 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 30, 2012 15:23 |  #9636

bobbyz wrote in post #15187515 (external link)
I had one guy and his mom bring two shirts for the shoot. Both wrinkled like crazy.

Were they the ones that are supposed to be wrinkled? ;)

Shane
flickr (external link)

SoCalTiger
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 30, 2012 17:30 |  #9637

JakAHearts wrote in post #15187549 (external link)
Were they the ones that are supposed to be wrinkled? ;)

Yeah... that is a "look" ;) :p

Laurence (external link) :: 6D + Lens

wamerritt
192 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 30, 2012 17:46 |  #9638

umphotography wrote in post #15187324 (external link)
Wow.. Thats a rats nest and a 1/2 right there...If your using CS5 you can use spot healing with content aware.. I would think anything you do will be time consuming and i would charge her accordingly,,,these kids show up to their sessions like this and i cringe...One would think that she would have gone in and got all the split ends cut off and cleaned up before she decided to do her senior pics.........unfortuna​tely they dont:mad:

This is unavoidable in our FL climate. I don't think a hair cut would have helped at all. Of course they are easy to do in Ps if you want to spend that sort of time. No Thanks. I will not for any money. I have a life. :):)

Wes
http://www.wesmerritt.​com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/wesmerrittphotograp​hy/ (external link)
Olympus OMD M43

wamerritt
192 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 30, 2012 17:49 |  #9639

umphotography wrote in post #15187300 (external link)
Wes.. Thats a great shot. Water balloon ?? and how many tries. Very cool:cool:

Yep. It was discussed earlier. You probably already read it. Also the edited pic was posted earlier also.

I haven't counted the tries, but it did take several. (notice all the ballons on the ground in the sooc shot.) Thankfully I had Dad's filling the balloons and tossing them.

Wes
http://www.wesmerritt.​com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/wesmerrittphotograp​hy/ (external link)
Olympus OMD M43

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 30, 2012 18:00 |  #9640

I love the water shot! It reminds me of this other guy *I cant remember where I seen his work* but he would pour water on his models somehwo and photograph it and then merge all the shots in photoshop so it looks like she was wearing sheets of water. one was really cool where teh water formed angel wings. I guess its pretty messy but I have no clue how he did it. I wish I could remember his name so I could post an example. he was offering in person classes on how to do it but he wasnt anywhere near me.

Canon investor

JFusion
851 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 30, 2012 18:32 |  #9641

GerryDavid wrote in post #15188108 (external link)
I love the water shot! It reminds me of this other guy *I cant remember where I seen his work* but he would pour water on his models somehwo and photograph it and then merge all the shots in photoshop so it looks like she was wearing sheets of water. one was really cool where teh water formed angel wings. I guess its pretty messy but I have no clue how he did it. I wish I could remember his name so I could post an example. he was offering in person classes on how to do it but he wasnt anywhere near me.

You're probably thinking of Jaroslav Wieczorkiewicz, he's a member of this forum. Their website is www.aurumlight.com (external link), NSFW content.

Jeremi
http://www.jeremiblurt​on.com (external link)
JB Photography - Facebook Fan Page (external link)
5D Mark iii, 7D, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 100 Macro 2.8, Nifty, 100-400 4.5-5.6L and a bunch of other stuff.

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 31, 2012 00:18 |  #9642

JF, thats the guy! Love the angel wings. :) I wish I knew how it was all done. :D

Canon investor

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 31, 2012 00:22 |  #9643

jmalonear wrote in post #15164268 (external link)
We had a pretty good Senior session Saturday, here are a few that we ended up with!

QUOTED IMAGE

Jay, did you design the swirly on the top/bottom yourself, get it off a stock site, or something else? :) Ive been searching for something suitable and not finding anything I like for my new logo. I did finally decide on the two fonts for the business name though! :)

Canon investor

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 31, 2012 10:21 |  #9644

GerryDavid wrote in post #15189326 (external link)
Jay, did you design the swirly on the top/bottom yourself, get it off a stock site, or something else? :) Ive been searching for something suitable and not finding anything I like for my new logo. I did finally decide on the two fonts for the business name though! :)

I found the embellishment from a stock site somewhere, then I just flipped it for the bottom.

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

JFusion
851 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 31, 2012 17:32 |  #9645

GerryDavid wrote in post #15189321 (external link)
JF, thats the guy! Love the angel wings. :) I wish I knew how it was all done. :D

He does awesome work. Definitely going to have to give it a try someday.

Jeremi
http://www.jeremiblurt​on.com (external link)
JB Photography - Facebook Fan Page (external link)
5D Mark iii, 7D, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 100 Macro 2.8, Nifty, 100-400 4.5-5.6L and a bunch of other stuff.

sponsored links

2,730,788 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.