Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 10 Aug 2010 (Tuesday) 00:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to utilize time with the wedding party

Milla
283 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 10, 2010 00:02 |  #1

I'm not super experienced when it comes to weddings so I'd love to hear your techniques.

I've been lucky enough with the past 3 weddings that there was roughly 1.5-2 hours for formal pictures. And despite the MANY meetings and conversations with my brides, I make it very clear that we are to get a few photos of the bridal party together, a few of just the girls & a few of just the guys. I make it very clear that I want to spend most of the time with just the B&G. Truthfully what pictures are they going to put on their wall? Most likely the pictures of just the two of them right?

Well it seems like as soon as we all get to the location, it's like herding cats and I end up getting super frustrated. Most people are drinking, most are more interested in chatting, then when it is their time they seem uninterested. And truthfully, I understand. When it's not your wedding, you're not really invested. But then I find we've wasted an hour on the bridal party and it doesn't leave me a whole lot of time with just the B&G. I then find myself rushing to get SOME good shots of the them together, and at this point we're at a time crunch and I end up bringing out the classic shots and don't really have any room to play or be creative, ya know?

So essentially what I'm wanting to know is how do you conduct your formal session? Do the B&G go first? I've found doing them last gets rid of the bridal party and I can get a little more intimate with the couple, but then we run out of time.

I appreciate any tips and help!

Blog! (external link)Twitter! (external link)

sponsored links
highway0691
672 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 10, 2010 02:44 |  #2

I always have a timline in place which I go over meticulously with the B&G before the day and politely demand cooperation on their part to make things work. Things work differently in different parts of the world but where I come from usually after congratulations/mingli​ng with whole crowd I take a whole group photo and from that point of control I ask that everyone involved in formals to go to a certain spot for photos. That's imperitive - segregate them. It's always a good idea to have someone organised (by the B&G) to assist in moving and directing people, as I would rarely know who's who. Then I take the Bridal party photos and the secret here is to do this away from the maddening crowd as well who will slow things down tremendously with idle chatter and merry drinking talk which is best saved for the reception. Then the B&G only. And again this also is done away from the bridal party who will also slow things down tremendously with idle cahtter best saved for the reception. So that is the process for me - to start with the bigger groups and get smaller as you go all the while cheerfully asserting myself with the B&G who are onside and totally clued into the process. Hope this is of some help.

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. Ansell Adams

rincon
240 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 10, 2010 09:41 |  #3

I only have 11 wddings under my belt, but what I have been doing, and works well, is to start with the biggest group and peel off the participants as their part is done. As they finish, I let them know that I will not need them any longer and they are free to go to the reception. As most people seem to feel that the formal photos are a pain in the rear, they are generally more than happy to find their way to the bar.

bnlearle
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 10, 2010 10:50 |  #4

Here's what I do...

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=839875

Hope that helps!

San Diego Wedding Photographer (blog) (external link)
Twitter (external link) -- Facebook (external link)
the Raddest Photo Trip Ever!!! (external link)

Come on the next one Dec 6th-19th 2010!!!!!

twitter (external link) // facebook (external link)
Website (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photographer blog (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 10, 2010 19:34 |  #5

The more confident you are the less this will be a problem. I don't have this problem, people know they're going away for photos, so they co-operate. I don't rush things though, I suggest they have a drink and relax for 5-10 minutes before we start doing photos, I do some simple ones of the wedding party, then I take the B&G away or suggest the wedding party go back to the reception.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 10, 2010 22:16 |  #6

Milla wrote in post #10692124 (external link)
So essentially what I'm wanting to know is how do you conduct your formal session?

Get bossy!

Seriously. It works. Don't be a jerk, just be loud enough to be heard and tell them what you want them to do.

There's also incentive you can use. "Hey guys, the sooner we get these photos over with, the sooner we can go party!"

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Milla
THREAD ­ STARTER
283 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 10, 2010 23:41 |  #7

Thanks Bobby! That was a great post!

I'm going to take everything you've all said and use it towards my next wedding. I also want to thank you because it ensures me that I was pretty much on the right track. Yay me!

Blog! (external link)Twitter! (external link)

sponsored links

1,989 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to utilize time with the wedding party
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.