Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 10 Aug 2010 (Tuesday) 05:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Netbook or more cards?

Shultz
Lucky 13
392 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 10, 2010 05:21 |  #1

Since going from a 40d to a 7d I've found I'm beginning to lack a bit of shoot storage, at the moment I have 4 x 4gb cards (150 raw each) & an 8gb card.

So now part of me says buy a couple of 16gb transcends for about £110 or the other part says buy something like a samsung netbook at about £180 secondhand, but with 240gb of spare space to hold pics & just download the cards I have when I need to?

Both options have pros & cons, larger cards mean less swapping but I'll really need to try & sell the smaller cards to replace them with a third 16gb card giving me 1800 raw pics to full

The netbook will of course hold alot more, but vie got to keep downloading once my current cards are full & it also means if the hd fails I lose the lot cos will have reused the cards??

Choices choices :(

Shelton.

http://www.onebriefmom​ent.co.uk (external link)
7D ~ 17-55 f2.8 EF-S ~ 100mm f2.8 Macro ~ 50mm MK I ~ Sigma 100-300 f4 APO EX DG ~ TC x1.4 ~ Man 055XPROB & 488RC2 ~ NISSIN Di622

sponsored links
bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 10, 2010 06:54 |  #2

I use both.The Netbook only goes with me when I am out of town and have time at night to transfer images, assuming I even need to. I have quite a few cards. It's a great tool to review my images at the end of the day and, maybe, trash the crappy ones, or be able to show other people.

I don't think there is any substitute for having enough cards to comfortably do a day's shooting. You can also delete images off the cards when you have a few moments when you are not shooting to make more room.

If you need to watch your budget, don't buy the fastest cards out there unless you really need them.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 10, 2010 07:38 |  #3

I have the 7D and it is a card killer for space. But I got a netbook and a portable hard drive. You can get a 500 GB PHD for around $70 now. If you can upload your images daily, you only need 2 8GB cards and you'd get 500 images RAW + JPEG easily.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 10, 2010 08:44 |  #4

+1 on the netbook (250gb HD) with a transcend 500gb StoreJet external hard drive, found that was the cheapest at the time. Portability of netbook and 8hr battery life allows for download and pp on the run.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

Shultz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Lucky 13
392 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 10, 2010 10:27 |  #5

Thanks all, as I say I have enough in cards for 1200 shots which covers me for a day, so think with the comments above the netbook & cardreader are the way to go instead more cards

Shelton.

7D ~ 17-55 f2.8 EF-S ~ 100mm f2.8 Macro ~ 50mm MK I ~ Sigma 100-300 f4 APO EX DG ~ TC x1.4 ~ Man 055XPROB & 488RC2 ~ NISSIN Di622

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 10, 2010 12:36 |  #6

Are there any good netbooks with a built in CF card slot? That would be sweet. Upgrade the HDD in it to a 500GB or 640GB and you could dump all you want onto it from the CF cards. Though I must admit, I have never once filled up all the CF I carry with me. I have four 8GB and a 16GB and Ive never come close even with a thousand shots fired on a 5D and I only shoot RAW.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 10, 2010 12:50 |  #7

Nope. CF slots never made it into more than a handful of computers since they used the same interface as PC Cards, so a PC Card slot was "plenty" as far as the manufacturers were concerned. And with the plethora of devices using the (inferior) SD format cards nowadays, and more computers coming with what used to be separate devices (network adapters, modems, GPS, . . .) and alternate I/O methods (BlueTooth, USB 2.0) there's even less incentive for manufacturers to provide the PC Card or CF slot in their portables. So we're stuck using external USB CF readers.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 10, 2010 20:05 |  #8

ebay card readers work for me. They're dirt cheap but they are also one more thing to carry. Transfer speeds are pretty darn fast.

Why do you guys shoot jpeg + raw? if you are going to edit the pictures anyway, why not just import raw only and export them afterwords?

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 10, 2010 20:26 |  #9

Because netbooks don't get along with DPP, and because sometimes it's easier to pull the JPEGs off the card for a non-photo friend.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 10, 2010 20:29 |  #10

Jon wrote in post #10697810 (external link)
Because netbooks don't get along with DPP, and because sometimes it's easier to pull the JPEGs off the card for a non-photo friend.

DPP works fine on my netbook. The only issue I had was the native screen resolution (DPP wants something a bit larger). a quick click enabled the 'virtual' screen, and I was in business.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 10, 2010 20:34 |  #11

Well, if you don't mind the slow processing speed. With a few hundred shots, it's faster to shoot RAW+JPEG Small than to try to process the stuff. An Atom seems to take around 5 min. per frame.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 10, 2010 20:38 |  #12

Jon wrote in post #10697847 (external link)
Well, if you don't mind the slow processing speed. With a few hundred shots, it's faster to shoot RAW+JPEG Small than to try to process the stuff. An Atom seems to take around 5 min. per frame.

well, thats true enough :)

keitaro
605 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 10, 2010 21:28 as a reply to  @ Flores's post |  #13

I would get more compact flash cards.

Consider this scenario:

You are at the beach, shooting the stunning sunset. You have only have 2 compact flash cards, and your filling them up fast. The sky and clouds are changing constantly revealing an ever more beautiful sunset. Suddenly, you just shot your last frame on your compact flash cards, and both of them are full. You could of, should of downloaded the first filled up card while you kept shooting, but was caught up in the magnificent sunset.

Now you have to pull out your netbook, start it up, hook up the card reader, and download the photos. All this while missing the chance to shoot, loosing the precious daylight/golden hour.

I would buy more cards, because they are dirt cheep.

My flickr (external link)
My Gear

Shultz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Lucky 13
392 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 11, 2010 02:31 |  #14

Will fastviewer work on a Netbook to be able to look at RAW shots through explorer?

I only ever shoot in RAW

Shelton.

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 11, 2010 06:22 as a reply to  @ Shultz's post |  #15

The Fastone image viewer (freeware) works on the netbook and can view a range of raw formats, it's slow to render a RAW file but fast when using the embedded preview image.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

sponsored links

2,740 views & 0 likes for this thread
Netbook or more cards?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.