Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Aug 2010 (Wednesday) 12:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I just borrowed a 1D4 for a week....

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 11, 2010 12:13 |  #1

I'm going to be comparing the output to my 5D2 over the next 7 days and was wondering if the 1D4 is at F2.8 should the 5D2 be at F4?

I've done some preliminaries with my dog and the 1D4 blows the 5D2 away with autofocus but the overal static IQ and colours are the same.

That said I want the DOF to be equal to measure sharpness in all areas such as high ISO and Servo mode.

If there a way to correctly calculate the difference?

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links
dKweddings.net
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 12, 2010 01:10 |  #2

You will have the same dof on both cameras.

The problem comes when you want to compare photos side by side, you will need the exact same framing. This is where you have to take a few steps back with the 1D4. This results in a larger dof.

Use a DOF calculator to calculate the difference if you wanted to compare; here you will find the exact aperture difference to make up for the added dof due to taking a few steps back.

Have fun!
-David

www.dKweddings.net (external link) || www.facebook.com/dKwed​dings (external link) || www.facebook.com/david​ucla (external link)

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 12, 2010 02:59 |  #3

Thanks David,

So far the 1D4 is ever so slightly sharper which I put down to more consistant and accurate autofocus.

Now that I have my hands on it and as I used to have a 7D it makes the '7D vs 1D4' threads look a bit idiotic.

Love the extra focal points,
Colour, noise and overall IQ are the almost same when shooting Raw, the 5D2 having less noise at ISO3200 onwards.

The 1D4 is slightly lighter (my 5D2 is gripped) and the only thing that really matters to me is the better autofocus and AF points.

I would be losing full frame and 6mp in the swap so am considering a 1D3 to compliment the 2 5D2's I have instead.

One thing I have to add, the way the image comes across is like the 40D, odd I know but it's almost as if they took the 5D2's sensor, and cut the thing down in size and in doing so lost 6mp. The reason I mention the 40D is that out of all the SLR's I've used (40D, 50D, 7D, 350D, 5D, 5D2, 1D4) Only the 40D, 5D2 and 1D4 have the same sort of 'look' to them.

Chris Giles Photography

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,634 posts
Gallery: 1655 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Aug 12, 2010 03:08 |  #4

?

I wasn't terribly fond of how my 40D photos "looked", especially at iso800+. :lol:

Different strokes for different folks. I'm curious as to the 7D vs. 1D4 threads you had mentioned. I haven't really noticed any comparisons between the two. I was also under the impression that 1D4 should be cleaner than 5D2 at iso3200+

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 12, 2010 03:37 |  #5

Sorry, I wasn't relating to noise on the 40D, just the similarities between how the overall image came out at low ISO like 100.

I never liked the images that came out of the 7D, just seemed a bit cold compared to the 5D2 and 40D but the 7D has a different WB system to the other two.

The 5D2 definitely has the edge at ISO3200 though, when viewing RAW files but then that could be down to the exposure being slightly out.

Chris Giles Photography

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,521 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 12, 2010 05:27 |  #6

To take the exact same photo (same perspective, same framing, same DOF) a 1.3X sensor will need to use an aperture 2/3 stop faster than a FF sensor. You then also need to control the exposure by using 2/3 stop lower ISO.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

JonK
Goldmember
2,161 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 12, 2010 07:37 |  #7

As usual, it depends on what you use a camera for. I wouldn't take a 1D4 over a 5D2 if doing low light or even semi low light work - the AF apparently doesn't do as well in low light and the noise threshold is worse. If I were shooting sports, sure. But really other than the bajillion focus points I don't realize much difference between it and the 7D. The noise is about the same. 2 FPS doesn't break the deal when one is 8 FPS vs 10, its a 1.3X cropper and requires more light, etc etc etc.

Its a nice camera, but I don't think its to be compared to the 7D or 5D2. 5D2 is your "take your time and make something beautiful" camera and the 7D is a run and gun 1.6x cropper with excellent pixel density and noise threshold. The 1D4, to me, just adds more focus points (that I don't use, I use single points in servo) and a "better" AF which is almost hard to believe because the 7D is that good.

7NE | 7D | 5DII | 16-35/2.8L II | 24/1.4L II | TS-E 24/3.5L II | 50/1.4 | 85/1.2L II | 100/2.8L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 400/5.6L | PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II
check my blog:
www.jonkensy.com (external link)

Bradfordguy
941 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 12, 2010 09:00 as a reply to  @ JonK's post |  #8

If you want only one body to handle everything then the 1DIV is the way to go. But a combo of a 7D and 5DII is a very similar cash $$ outlay and gives you great performance for "all" your shooting needs. I will be adding a 5DII next year and I have owned a 1DsII so have experience with the 1D class bodies. In my opinion very few shooters actually need the bullet proof & water resistant qualities of these pro bodies, I certainly didn't. If anything I baby my gear which I think mirrors most shooters. Not all but most.

G10, 7D gripped, 17-55 2.8 IS , 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, EF 85 1.8, 105 2.8 EX Sigma Macro, 1.4 TC , 580 EXII, 430 EX, ST-E2

SeanH
Goldmember
2,055 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 12, 2010 09:56 as a reply to  @ Bradfordguy's post |  #9

Wow! You mean a camera built for sports that is twice the prices has better AF? Shocking.......LOL ;-)a

"Naaa.....go for the 7D, it's almost the same as the mk4" -7D owners that have never shot a Mk4

I love these threads.....;-)a

7D ......waiting on the 5D3
10-22, 17-40 4.0 L, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 2 X 580EX's

JC4
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 12, 2010 10:02 |  #10

Gel wrote in post #10706494 (external link)
The 5D2 definitely has the edge at ISO3200 though, when viewing RAW files but then that could be down to the exposure being slightly out.

I've got both. Get use to the 1d-IV, I think you'll find it a bit better than the 5d-II at high ISOs and definitely at lower ISO's. Other than my wide lenses not being wide enough on the 1d, I could dump my 5d and not miss it. (plus the size, a lot of times I prefer the smaller bodies).

I've only shot briefly with a 7d. Nice body, more than adequate for me and most others, but....... :)

John Caputo

Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 12, 2010 10:06 |  #11

consider the d3s.

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

Mastamarek
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 12, 2010 10:07 |  #12

This would be all good if I could afford one ^_^

[Facebook® (external link)]
[imassmedia.pl (external link)]
[Flickr (external link)]
[My Blog (external link)]

JonK
Goldmember
2,161 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 12, 2010 10:31 |  #13

SeanH wrote in post #10707786 (external link)
Wow! You mean a camera built for sports that is twice the prices has better AF? Shocking.......LOL ;-)a

"Naaa.....go for the 7D, it's almost the same as the mk4" -7D owners that have never shot a Mk4

I love these threads.....;-)a

I've shot with a 1D4, wasn't $4500 worth of camera to me. High ISO performance was worse than a 5D2 and the focus was worse in low light than the 7D. Iunno.

7NE | 7D | 5DII | 16-35/2.8L II | 24/1.4L II | TS-E 24/3.5L II | 50/1.4 | 85/1.2L II | 100/2.8L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 400/5.6L | PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II
check my blog:
www.jonkensy.com (external link)

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 12, 2010 13:22 |  #14

Just finished a shoot with it and am waiting to start another. I'm not complaining but too many AF points holds things up lol.

Very sharp though but I'm finding it hard to fit the model in the frame (In a hotel room) so need the wider frame.

I did consider the 3DS but it's low light performance sucks and all it has better than the 5D2 is the autofocus system.

Chris Giles Photography

dKweddings.net
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 12, 2010 14:20 |  #15

Gel wrote in post #10709078 (external link)
Just finished a shoot with it and am waiting to start another. I'm not complaining but too many AF points holds things up lol.

Very sharp though but I'm finding it hard to fit the model in the frame (In a hotel room) so need the wider frame.

I did consider the 3DS but it's low light performance sucks and all it has better than the 5D2 is the autofocus system.

The 5D2 is hard to beat!

-David

www.dKweddings.net (external link) || www.facebook.com/dKwed​dings (external link) || www.facebook.com/david​ucla (external link)

sponsored links

10,091 views & 0 likes for this thread
I just borrowed a 1D4 for a week....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.