Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Aug 2010 (Thursday) 16:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice on a recent eBay purchase...

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 12, 2010 16:31 |  #1

I'm not exactly sure where to put this, but since it involves a lens, I'm sticking it here for now!

So I spent a couple of weeks looking heavily for a Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8. One finally popped up on eBay from a very reputable seller, but the auction was going to end at a time when I wouldn't have access to my computer. So, I took a shot in the dark and offered to buy it immediately from the guy...and, to my surprise, he agreed! He actually ended the auction and relisted it as a Buy it Now. And he was incredibly helpful the whole time.

Fast-forward to today; I opened the box and upon looking closely at the lens, realized that it smelled like cigarette smoke. I can't STAND the smell of cigarette smoke. I've had a few other people smell it and it doesn't seem to bother them at all (it's really not very strong), but there's no way that I, personally, am going to be able to use this lens.

So I'm not sure exactly what to do. I feel really bad making the guy jump through hoops to get the lens, and I'm not much of a "complain forcefully to get what you want" kind of guy. At this point I've e-mailed him (only about 15 minutes ago) saying that I'd appreciate a refund but will understand if he won't do it (and that I'd end up giving him Neutral feedback). Sometimes I really wish I had more cojones as far as stuff like this goes! I'm still waiting for a response.

The question is: is it worth pressing hard for a refund or should I just accept that I created special circumstances for the purchase and relist it for a loss? He seems like a real stand-up guy, so I hope it's a moot point.

Thanks all!

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,929 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 12, 2010 16:50 |  #2

Put the lens into a plastic bag with an open box of Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) inside the bag. Seal the bag and let the lens sit in there for a few days.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

int2str
Goldmember
1,881 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 12, 2010 16:58 |  #3

Wilt wrote in post #10710286 (external link)
Put the lens into a plastic bag with an open box of Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) inside the bag. Seal the bag and let the lens sit in there for a few days.

Yupp. Or something like this:
http://www.petco.com …B9C043EB&mr:ref​erralID=NA (external link)

Also, wipe the lens down completely with a safe cleaning agent.

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 12, 2010 17:00 |  #4

Get it returned. I always ask if it has odors in addition to fungus/scratches/etc before I buy.

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

Starved
108 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 12, 2010 17:00 |  #5

No offense, but something as simple as cleaning and you can't figure out a way around it and instead want to return it because of cigarette smell? The lens has no fabric on it, smell will go away with a simple wipe down.

Canon 1DS Mark III | 1D Mark IV | 1DX | 14 f/2.8L II | 24 f/1.4L II | 35 f/1.4L | 50 f/1.2L | 85 f/1.2L II | 100 f/2.8L IS MACRO | 135 f/2.0L | 200 f/2.8L II | 200 f/2.0L IS | 300 f/2.8L IS | 400 f/2.8L IS II | 500 f/4.0 IS II | 600 f/2.8L IS II | 17-40 f/4.0L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 24-105 f/4.0L IS | 70-200 f/4.0L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | ZEISS 21 f/2.8 ZE | TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II |

Dan ­ C
783 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 12, 2010 17:03 |  #6

I bought a lens that smelled of smoke a few months ago. It went away in a week or two. Just give it some fresh air.

Threatening neutral feedback isn't the right approach IMHO.

5D2 || Σ 50 1.4 || 24-105L || 430EX ||
Gear and Feedback || Smugmug (external link) || I prefer to receive emails instead of PMs; please send me an Email by clicking my username.

Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 12, 2010 17:06 |  #7

If the auction said from a smoke free environment then you can ask for a refund. One thing you can do to get rid of the smell is rent a commercial ionizer machine. I use to have a business that cleaned air in cars, hotel rooms, businesses that had smoke smells in them. Most of the smell was from smokers, but we also cleaned the air and products that were in a fire.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

cptrios
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 12, 2010 17:30 |  #8

Is it really that simple to get rid of cigarette smell? I feel a bit stupid now...I kind of always just assumed it was a "here to stay" kind of odor.

Still, I'm going to hope for a refund...but it's nice to know that it may be reversible. I consider cigarette odor to be a definite must-mention when selling things. I've seen the effects of nicotine buildup inside electronics and it's absolutely horrific. I'm definitely not going to do too much real "threatening" though because, as I said, aside from not mentioning that issue the seller has been great.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent

BKATX
363 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 12, 2010 17:31 |  #9

Kind of a moot point now since you already emailed him but since he seemed nice you could have offered to pay to ship it back to him and cover any relisting fees.

I agree with Dan C, threatening an eBay seller with feedback isn't a very good way to go. If he is reasonable see if he will take a return before you bring up feedback.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,929 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 12, 2010 17:33 |  #10

Good luck reversing an eBay transaction....eBay charges the seller a fee for the transaction.

Quit being so difficult and use one of the several suggestions. The smell of smoke dissipates in the air by itself. Deodorizers like baking soda simply help to hasten what would occur by itself. If you want to dampen a cloth with vinegar, wipe the lens, and then wipe the vinegar dry with a dry cloth, that works too.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

cptrios
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 12, 2010 17:38 |  #11

BKATX wrote in post #10710518 (external link)
Kind of a moot point now since you already emailed him but since he seemed nice you could have offered to pay to ship it back to him and cover any relisting fees.

I agree with Dan C, threatening an eBay seller with feedback isn't a very good way to go.

Ugh, I feel really bad now. I kind of figured that my paying all of that stuff was kind of assumed already. And I definitely didn't say "I'm going to give you $@$&ing negative feedback if you don't refund my money!" But I'm already regretting saying anything of the sort. I think I picked a bad situation in which to attempt to be more assertive!

In fact, here...you may read that particular, pathetic part of my e-mail right now:

Come to think of it, I guess I probably should at least ask you to take it back, even though it makes me feel like a serious jerk to do it. The smoke smell was, after all, not in the description. If I do wind up reselling the lens myself, I think that'll likely amount to me leaving Neutral feedback something like "Great to deal with, but lens was not as described." So I'm not exactly going to be siccing any lawyers on you! Blah, this is an unfortunate situation!

That's literally what I wrote...how lame is that?? I post it here in the hopes that public scorn will teach me some sort of lesson!

Starved
108 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 12, 2010 17:44 |  #12

No need to feel bad. I understand you spent money for something and didn't like the outcome. If there were ashes inside the lens then by all means I agree you need to be assertive and demand a refund. But there are many simple solutions to get rid of smell that the time you have spent on trying to get a refund you'd probably gotten rid of the smoke. The lens as delicate and cherished we photographers treat it, can take the punishment of a gentle cleaning :)

Canon 1DS Mark III | 1D Mark IV | 1DX | 14 f/2.8L II | 24 f/1.4L II | 35 f/1.4L | 50 f/1.2L | 85 f/1.2L II | 100 f/2.8L IS MACRO | 135 f/2.0L | 200 f/2.8L II | 200 f/2.0L IS | 300 f/2.8L IS | 400 f/2.8L IS II | 500 f/4.0 IS II | 600 f/2.8L IS II | 17-40 f/4.0L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 24-105 f/4.0L IS | 70-200 f/4.0L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | ZEISS 21 f/2.8 ZE | TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II |

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,253 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 12, 2010 17:56 |  #13

Is this for real.
If it is, words defy me.
This would have to be one of the most ridiculous things I've seen on the interwebs
Nuff said.

ps: I'm not a smoker.

Regards, Phil
2019 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year - Runner Up
2018 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year
2018 CAMS (now Motorsport Australia) Gold Accredited Photographer
Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office"

cptrios
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 12, 2010 18:03 |  #14

philwillmedia wrote in post #10710655 (external link)
Is this for real.
If it is, words defy me.
This would have to be one of the most ridiculous things I've seen on the interwebs
Nuff said.

ps: I'm not a smoker.

Well, A. the smell of smoke makes my eyes water. I can't really help that, and it certainly doesn't aid in looking through a viewfinder. And B. the smell of smoke implies other potential problems. Perhaps you've never looked inside a computer that's been in a smoker's home for a few years? The nicotine creates this orange/brown buildup that looks like some fungus that's been growing in a deep, dank cave.

That having been said, I definitely overreacted.

Edit: And by the way, I actually don't have any problem with smokers (sorry if it seems that way) or even being around smoke; but when there's no actual smoke in the area and I'm still having my eyes water in the middle of an eye-oriented activity, it's pretty annoying!

smilebug
954 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 12, 2010 18:13 |  #15

cptrios wrote in post #10710691 (external link)
Edit: And by the way, I actually don't have any problem with smokers (sorry if it seems that way) or even being around smoke; but when there's no actual smoke in the area and I'm still having my eyes water in the middle of an eye-oriented activity, it's pretty annoying!

Agreed. Maybe just give it like, fresh air. Wait like a day or, 2. ;)

My camera ♥'s my dogs more than me...*sigh*
My Gear & Feedback ~ Flickr (external link)
{{jessica}}

sponsored links

4,664 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice on a recent eBay purchase...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.