Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 13 Aug 2010 (Friday) 09:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash!

Hedley
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 13, 2010 09:15 |  #1

So working in the web industry, it's always been an adage that you should avoid flash for photography portfolio websites and such like but still we continue to churn them out.
With hardware like ipads being unable to display flash do you think it'll finally die out or do people like it too much?

sponsored links
nez
73 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 15, 2010 01:14 |  #2

I am an apple guy and own both iPad and iPhones but my gallery remains in flash. I am how ever contemplating an HTML gallery when flash can not be displayed.

I don't think flash is going anywhere anytime soon but Who knows.......

50D |Sigma 10-20 ƒ4 | 50 ƒ1.8 | 28-135 ƒ3.5 | 70-300 ƒ4
Lighting: ST-E2 | 430 EX II | 580 EX II
saving for a car rig........:confused:

mountainpano
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 15, 2010 22:25 as a reply to  @ nez's post |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

There are SO MANY alternatives (such as using JQuery) to create "cool transitions" for photos without using Adobe Flash.

Flash is, and always will be, the scourge of the web.

dugcross
876 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 19, 2010 11:48 as a reply to  @ mountainpano's post |  #4

While my entire website is not flash, my galleries are. I have a pretty harsh attitude though on people not being able to view my galleries if they don't have flash....I don't care, if you want to see them bad enough go to a computer that has flash. I don't see flash going anywhere, it's here to stay.

Doug Cross
Graphic Designer and Photographer
www.crossphotographics​.com (external link)

switchblade5984
299 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 19, 2010 13:02 |  #5

Flash is in use for Android apps, apple just doesnt want it....

nez
73 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 19, 2010 17:11 |  #6

switchblade5984 wrote in post #10751063 (external link)
Flash is in use for Android apps, apple just doesnt want it....

True story, but in the mean time there is frash lol
but not everybody jailbreaks their iDevices

50D |Sigma 10-20 ƒ4 | 50 ƒ1.8 | 28-135 ƒ3.5 | 70-300 ƒ4
Lighting: ST-E2 | 430 EX II | 580 EX II
saving for a car rig........:confused:

JAmadoPhotography
20 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 19, 2010 21:52 |  #7

I don't think it's dead or will ever die. People like it and it give the website a nice feel and interactivity for the user. In fact, I am willing to bet that adobe will try to figure out a way to allow websites to read this or maybe try to develop a browser that can read flash. It looks too good to throw out.

Jermaine Amado, Photographer/Owner
J Amado Photography: Denver Portrait (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Aug 19, 2010 21:55 |  #8

It's dead, Jim.

ayn
90 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 21, 2010 13:54 as a reply to  @ Todd Lambert's post |  #9

Just don't do it. Most portfolio sites using Flash can look and function exactly the same with JavaScript. And they will work in all mobile devices like the iPad.

@ayn (external link), photography.andrewng.c​om (external link), blog.andrewng.com (external link)
Founder & iOS at Priime (external link)

Writeups: 100L Macro (external link), 85L II (external link), 5D2 (external link), X100 (external link), G11 (external link), LX3 (external link)

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 26, 2010 04:34 as a reply to  @ ayn's post |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Presentation is everything...goes two ways doesn't it...though, consider this. Of all the icons, all the legends in photography, these guys havent been hurt by using flash in their sites. Why? Its more than being seen, its being remembered. Being unique, being interesting, interactive, involving an audience rather than...being there. They can find your website. So what. They can see some of your images, yippee...but if they do not remember you because you lack the design that grabs them...your presentation is worthless.

These photographers have not been damaged by having a flash based element or website...photographer​s like

www.chasejarvis.com (external link)

or Kevin Then
http://www.kevinthen.c​om/index.html (external link)

Vincent Laforet starts with a video...fitting, but look...also in flash
www.vincentlaforet.com (external link)

David Jay the wedding photo-speaker-guy who manages show it, which is predominately made of flash
www.davidjay.com (external link)

Music, video, splash page, flash for jasmine star too
http://jasmine-star.com/ (external link)

Chris Rainer, photojournalist
http://www.chrisrainie​r.com/ (external link)
(oh no look, music..ooooo)

National Geographic
http://www.nationalgeo​graphicassignment.com/ (external link)

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

toonartist
301 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 26, 2010 06:10 |  #11

Karl Johnston wrote in post #10791052 (external link)
Presentation is everything...goes two ways doesn't it...though, consider this. Of all the icons, all the legends in photography, these guys havent been hurt by using flash in their sites. Why? Its more than being seen, its being remembered. Being unique, being interesting, interactive, involving an audience rather than...being there. They can find your website. So what. They can see some of your images, yippee...but if they do not remember you because you lack the design that grabs them...your presentation is worthless.

These photographers have not been damaged by having a flash based element or website...photographer​s like

www.chasejarvis.com (external link)

or Kevin Then
http://www.kevinthen.c​om/index.html (external link)

Vincent Laforet starts with a video...fitting, but look...also in flash
www.vincentlaforet.com (external link)

David Jay the wedding photo-speaker-guy who manages show it, which is predominately made of flash
www.davidjay.com (external link)

Music, video, splash page, flash for jasmine star too
http://jasmine-star.com/ (external link)

Chris Rainer, photojournalist
http://www.chrisrainie​r.com/ (external link)
(oh no look, music..ooooo)

National Geographic
http://www.nationalgeo​graphicassignment.com/ (external link)

Some cracking websites there..... love Chris Rainer's. That is one site that uses sound very effectively.

Duncan

Canon 5D Mkii. Canon 17-40 f/4L & 100-400L
New Website
Mountain Landscape Photography (external link)
Outdoor Photo Library (external link)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Aug 26, 2010 09:45 |  #12

I'm sorry... I'm not very impressed. It's Flash, yep. Wooooo, there's some music or some sound. No thanks. It's becoming more and more apparent that visitors don't want these things. Just look at the web 3 years ago vs where it is today and where it appears to be going. In that timeline, you find less and less Flash use. That's for several valid reasons..

Unfortunately, photographers spent money a few years ago to have Flash websites built for their sites. Because of this, and because they often refuse to accept change, they've stuck with the use of Flash.

Photography truly is one of the last areas where Flash use is rampant. Music and artist sites is another, but that's mostly because Flash is still the best delivery method for audio on the web.

I for one, don't want to give up usability, easy of updating and search engine ranking(just to name a few) all for the benefit of having some lame jazz song or some stupid "springy" navigation that does nothing more than piss off my visitors. This isn't an improvement, it's steps back. Flash is now starting to look old. Not any particular Flash site, just the whole genre. It's like seing animated gifs now, or a java applet. It just makes your site look dated to your visitors.(if they can even see it on their iPhones or iPads.)

ayn
90 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 26, 2010 13:16 as a reply to  @ Todd Lambert's post |  #13

Agreed with what Todd said, completely. I have flash blocker installed and if a photog uses Flash I typically just don't look at their site.

@ayn (external link), photography.andrewng.c​om (external link), blog.andrewng.com (external link)
Founder & iOS at Priime (external link)

Writeups: 100L Macro (external link), 85L II (external link), 5D2 (external link), X100 (external link), G11 (external link), LX3 (external link)

sponsored links

2,797 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.