Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
Thread started 13 Aug 2010 (Friday) 16:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Startup rig for Macro work

Inqe
MacGyver of wedding photography assistants
226 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 13, 2010 16:30 |  #1

Sorry...hope this is the place to post n00b questions regarding Macro photography. If not, please direct me to proper location and I'll happily repost accordingly.

My question is that I want to start shooting my husbands miniatures that he paints with great detail and time and he's won several awards for (his first national win happened last week!). We've "made do" with the gear that I have...but, it's not cutting it for really showing off the detail. I have a good amount of gear as I primarily shoot weddings, events & portraits. But, I don't really have anything for macro...I am looking to purchase a Canon 100mm Macro 2.8 Non-IS. but, beyond that, what else do I really need? I mean, do I need a ringflash or is a lightbox ok? is the 100mm macro adequate or should I be looking at something else? Anything else I need to start doing some shots for my husband?

TIA!
Heather

:eek: I can't believe after ALL these years, I finally have a 5D MKII!!! It's glorious! It's MY PRECIOUS!!:cool:
40D-Gripped, Canon 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20 3.5-5.6, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Sigma 24-70 2.8, Lensbaby 2.0, 580EX, 550EX, PW's.
www.FortuitousPhotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
GJim
Goldmember
1,209 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 13, 2010 16:34 |  #2

Check the 'Macro Talk' section --- lots and LOTS of info there. Be sure to read all the 'sticky' threads over there - especially the threads by Lord V.

Welcome to the asylum ;)

G'Jim c):{- ... 50D (Gripped), 7D (Gripped), assorted glass, sundry accouterments.
The beginner clicks the shutter and says "Let's see what I got." ... The experienced photographer thinks "How can I capture what I see?"
My Photography and my Blog: http://www.gjim.com (external link)

dgraham329
Cream of the Crop
11,133 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 13, 2010 16:38 |  #3

It would help to know the nature of the minatures, but I don't think you'd go wrong w/ the 100mm. I think an inexpensive diffuser on your 580 or the light box would do the job for illumination.

BlackClouds
160 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 13, 2010 17:09 |  #4

I think with texture you need side light to bring details, if flat the light box will do.

brody98
79 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 13, 2010 21:05 as a reply to  @ BlackClouds's post |  #5

You can get a set of tubes for about $180, you can pretty much use any lens as a macro with tubes. Ive got the 100mm 2.8 and ever since I got the tubes I actually prefer to use my 70-200 for macro stuff.

7D mk2 EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 300mm f/4L IS, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, 2 Paul Buff Einstein's, 580EX II, 2 600EX-RT's, 3 TT5's, TT1, AC3, Various modifiers

Inqe
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 15, 2010 13:47 |  #6

All good stuff! Thanks folks! I hadn't seen the "Macro Talk" section before either...so, I'll saunter over there for a read.

Many thanks again!
HS

:eek: I can't believe after ALL these years, I finally have a 5D MKII!!! It's glorious! It's MY PRECIOUS!!:cool:
40D-Gripped, Canon 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20 3.5-5.6, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Sigma 24-70 2.8, Lensbaby 2.0, 580EX, 550EX, PW's.

racketman
Cream of the Crop
21,008 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 15, 2010 15:13 |  #7

can we some samples of what you have done - are we talking military dioramas?

Toby
Canon 5D MKIV
Olympus EM-1 MKII
Flickr collections (external link)
Gear

Inqe
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 15, 2010 15:42 |  #8

racketman wrote in post #10726250 (external link)
can we some samples of what you have done - are we talking military dioramas?

OOh...what I've done is NOT good at all. I wouldn't want to cause pain to anyone having to look at them. :oops:

If anyone is familiar with tabletop gaming/RPG's...specifi​cally Warhammer 40k, then you'll know what kind of mini's he paints. Though, he does do much broader work beyond Space Marines & Infantries. He also does fantasy work and dioramas etc.

For those not familiar with Tabletop Gaming/RPG's, they're basically Strategy Board games that incorporate Role-Playing (such as D&D aka Dungeons & Dragons fame) into the storytelling and the miniatures are used to replicate actual battle scenarios that are played out in the game. It sounds corny...but, it's really QUITE involved and intriguing to watch and there is a HUGE, HUGE following for this particular gaming system (Warhammer 40K). We just returned from GenCon last week where my husband placed 1st nationally for Exillis and various other placings for Reaper and others I can't recall. Anyway, he's getting to the stages of getting his work published and I want to make sure all of his work is properly photographed so the details of his work really pop and to hopefully garnish him some more awards. yadda, yadda, yadda...sorry to blather on. But, it's quite a niche area too and not too many pro photogs involved in this community. So, if I can do it right, I may find myself another income source for other pro painters or up n'comers too.

So, that's my thoughts...sorry they're not in a nutshell. ;)

Inqe
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 15, 2010 16:11 |  #9

Ok....for the sake of my question, here are some pics from a mini that he was practicing a new technique on and we were practicing various focal lengths and lighting to shoot his mini's with the gear that I already have.

Please, be gentle. I'm posting for example only...they are REALLY bad photos and NOT his best paint job at all.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i158.photobucke​t.com …Minis/IMG_0005_​1-Edit.jpg (external link)

http://i158.photobucke​t.com …20Minis/IMG_001​2-Edit.jpg (external link)

http://i158.photobucke​t.com …erek%20Minis/IM​G_0012.jpg (external link)

http://i158.photobucke​t.com …Minis/IMG_0021_​1-Edit.jpg (external link)

Inqe
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 15, 2010 16:12 |  #10

These pics were done with a LOT of Post too...lots of cropping, sharpening & trying to correct WB etc, etc.

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 15, 2010 22:42 |  #11

Hmmm... Well if it were me, I'd approach it much like you would aproach shooting a wedding portrait. Basically this is the same, only much smaller. First off the images above are just too flat. There is no relief, no shadows. You have strobes with some sort of wireless triggers (RF-602s?), why not set it up like a regular portrait shot? I'd go with a darker BG than what you have above. Also, I'd use the 70-200 f2.8L listed in your gear, but with the addition of some Kenko extention tubes. They can be had on eBay for around $130. Make sure to ge the DG version so that AF works and that they will report lens info for EXIF. I use these with my 40D, 85mm f1.8 and 70-200 f4L all the time and they work great! But getting a 100mm f2.8 macro will be of great help.
Cropping too much causes nasty pixalation and just doesn't look good at all.

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

Inqe
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 16, 2010 00:31 |  #12

I REALLY like the idea of setting it up like a portrait shoot! I do have the triggers and strobes...I hadn't thought of that really cuz what I read mostly referred to lightboxes or some-such set ups. I'm actually getting a 100mm macro canon tomorrow...hopefully. If not, I'll take a look at these extension tubes. I've heard many folks use them, just seemed kind of "scary" to me.

THanks much!

sponsored links

1,236 views & 0 likes for this thread
Startup rig for Macro work
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.