Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 14 Aug 2010 (Saturday) 09:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Condensation on lens?

MCB
668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 14, 2010 09:43 |  #1

Hi!

I'm new to night photography and astrophotography in particular. So maybe there is an obvious solution to the whole condensation problem that I just don't know about. But I have found that on many nights I get condensation on my lens after an hour or so.

Do you guys just not go out and shoot if the temp is getting too close to the dew point? Is there a trick to keep this from happening?

Thanks.

sponsored links
Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 14, 2010 09:54 |  #2

Only way I know to stop this, (or remove the dew), is a burst from a hair-dryer, or a dew-heater, which is a strap that goes round the lens and is kept warm, thus keeping the dew away. (Only really use these myself on my telescope, but I have a small one for a lens if I ever need it.)

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

MCB
THREAD ­ STARTER
668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 14, 2010 10:03 |  #3

Wow, cool. Thanks for the tip. Google gives lots of results for dew heaters. I had been thinking of the hair dryer option, but that's limited based on the availability of a plugin. The dew heaters look fairly cheap and portable. Thanks again!

MCB
THREAD ­ STARTER
668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 14, 2010 10:35 |  #4

Maybe this is really dumb, but can you use a rubber band or something like that to strap a couple of those chemical hand warmers onto the lens? Are they too hot? I have used some that last for hours and are very cheap.
If they are too hot, would adding a little insulation between them and the lens do the job?

If that's not totally insane it would be something I would be able to use tonight.
thanks!

mtbdudex
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 14, 2010 10:54 as a reply to  @ MCB's post |  #5

ok , not for tonight but this seems easy enough to make as DIY project.

http://www.metacafe.co​m …7/diy_lens_warm​er_heater/ (external link)

I'd make mine use these rechargeable battery packs I have for my electric RC car already.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 503

Mike R, P.E. ...iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, AppleTV(160), MacBook
Canon: 70D, T1i + lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II / TC 1.4x 2x / 15-85 / f1.4 50 / UWA 11-16 Tokina
FEISOL tripod CT-3441S + CB-40D Ball Head, iOptron EQ tracker
My top 10 in Astrophotography. . .DIY acoustic panels (external link) . . APOD Aug-5-2011 (external link)

Footbag
391 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 14, 2010 11:11 |  #6

MCB wrote in post #10720113 (external link)
Maybe this is really dumb, but can you use a rubber band or something like that to strap a couple of those chemical hand warmers onto the lens? Are they too hot? I have used some that last for hours and are very cheap.
If they are too hot, would adding a little insulation between them and the lens do the job?

If that's not totally insane it would be something I would be able to use tonight.
thanks!

I tried this with my telescope. It didn't work.

Adam
My Astrophoto Gallery (external link)
The Astro Imaging Channel (external link)

PhotosbyKev
Wildlife Photographer of the year 2006
157 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 14, 2010 11:17 |  #7

MCB wrote in post #10720113 (external link)

thanks!

Cut the toes off some woollen socks and then slip the sock over the lens and double it back to make a pocket.

Slip a handwarmer inside and it will warm up the air local to the lens and slow the onset of condensation forming on the lens.

Be aware there are two types of warmers. One is activated by contact with skin and needs the moisture to operate correctly, the other version is air activated which is the one you want.

regards

Kev Lewis.
My website of wildlife and nature photography (external link)

martyn_bannister
568 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 14, 2010 12:28 |  #8

The other night all I had was a floor standing fan and played that onto the lens/camera. Seemed to help. Of course, I was in my back gfardenn, not miles from anywhere :)

MCB
THREAD ­ STARTER
668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 14, 2010 13:30 |  #9

mtbdudex wrote in post #10720193 (external link)
ok , not for tonight but this seems easy enough to make as DIY project.

http://www.metacafe.co​m …7/diy_lens_warm​er_heater/ (external link)

I'd make mine use these rechargeable battery packs I have for my electric RC car already.
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 503

Hey, that is neat. It looks very simple and cheap. Thanks!

MCB
THREAD ­ STARTER
668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 14, 2010 13:30 |  #10

PhotosbyKev wrote in post #10720280 (external link)
Cut the toes off some woollen socks and then slip the sock over the lens and double it back to make a pocket.

Slip a handwarmer inside and it will warm up the air local to the lens and slow the onset of condensation forming on the lens.

Be aware there are two types of warmers. One is activated by contact with skin and needs the moisture to operate correctly, the other version is air activated which is the one you want.

Even easier! Even cheaper! I love it. :)
I will try this one tonight and see how it goes. Thanks for all the tips.

sponsored links

3,649 views & 0 likes for this thread
Condensation on lens?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.