Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 14 Aug 2010 (Saturday) 23:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DIY: replacing Markins Q3 plate with RSS B2 LR II

kinghong1970
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 14, 2010 23:02 |  #1

Unlike ben_r, i lack the pre-planning skills and so i did not order a Q3 ballhead with the knob release plate detatched... so...

the stuff...

IMAGE: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_w9jT_GnjZSc/TGdeFkl57nI/AAAAAAAABZ8/BJ_f0VLLd-E/s1152/_MG_9400.JPG
Left to Right:
Markins Q3 Ballhead with Knob Release Plate (external link) $269.99 (actually paid less in Korea...)
RSS B2 LR II Quick Release Clamp (external link) $120.00
3/8"-16 Set Screw (external link) $1.00 from Ace Hardware (please re-verify the thread, i know it's 3/8" but i was not 100% sure if i purchased the 16 or the 24... best thing, go to Lowes or Home Depot or Ace and fit it.
Loctite Blue or equivalent
Socket Wrench
Vise Grip with a wider jaw opening...
Hammer or a Jewelry Hammer

IMAGE: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_w9jT_GnjZSc/TGdeGtwT2iI/AAAAAAAABaE/35J1hGAWR6s/s1152/_MG_9402.JPG
oh, yea, one of these comes in handy... a vise...
be careful of thems teeth... they leave a nasty mark... and be careful how much you tighten the vise... want to make sure your ball head stays a ball head not an egg head...

IMAGE: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_w9jT_GnjZSc/TGdeGKg-GnI/AAAAAAAABaA/QnToSzPF0wU/s1152/_MG_9401.JPG
aah, yes, a faux or real suede chamois fabric/material, double or quadruple folded gave enough protection from the vise teeth... no marks on my markins... lol... scusi the pun.

IMAGE: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_w9jT_GnjZSc/TGdeHHTLO6I/AAAAAAAABaI/XuWRI85RWqk/s1152/_MG_9403.JPG
when mounting the ballhead on vise, be sure that you are not compressing the bottom pan-ring... and you can use some of the knobs to position the ballhead such that when you turn the clamp to assemble or disassemble, it will help in preventing it from turning in place, since your vise should NOT be on too tightly.

IMAGE: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_w9jT_GnjZSc/TGdeHWz5cdI/AAAAAAAABaM/_E9zr0qnB3A/s1152/_MG_9404.JPG
just another view...

IMAGE: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_w9jT_GnjZSc/TGdeH2-npmI/AAAAAAAABaQ/iQyPkFvFGns/s1152/_MG_9405.JPG
when clamping the vise grip onto the existing clamp, be sure not to use too much strength... it seems the alum is either powdered coated or anodized... more likely powder coated... it's durable, but not that durable...

i called Markins and they recommend that i tighten the clamp, then tap the screw nob of the clamp in ccw (facing top of clamp) direction... i found that using the vise grip is easier... you can use the hammer to "loosen" it... but when doing so, use a piece of wood in between so you don't leave any marks...
and don't go all out crazy and slam it with all your might...

IMAGE: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_w9jT_GnjZSc/TGdeIRymYfI/AAAAAAAABaU/IlaDcnzW3KU/s1152/_MG_9406.JPG
markins clamp removed... the center bolt is not coming off unless you have one of those screw removers or use a vise grip on the threaded section of the bolt, rendering it useless.

IMAGE: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_w9jT_GnjZSc/TGdeI0v6lRI/AAAAAAAABaY/ry34v4u-WHY/s1152/_MG_9408.JPG
nekkid ball head...

continued...

Albert the Clumsy Ape
GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET (external link) | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N

sponsored links
kinghong1970
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 14, 2010 23:06 |  #2

IMAGE: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_w9jT_GnjZSc/TGdeJIFbBRI/AAAAAAAABac/ej6p2fyqV_I/s1152/_MG_9409.JPG
the $1.00 set screw... RSS sells them for $5.00 a pop... McMaster.com has it for cheaper... but in bags of 5 or 10 or something...

just put a drop of Loctite Blue (medium strength) on the bottom section, screw it to the ball head...

drop of it on the top section, screw in the RSS plate.

Voila!
IMAGE: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_w9jT_GnjZSc/TGdeJpF9BTI/AAAAAAAABag/c9zRtLAx4JE/s720/_MG_9410.JPG
if you need to adjust the screw length, then unscrew (manually) the RSS plate, use a hex key and screw in or out the set screw and screw in the RSS tightly... let it set.

IMAGE: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_w9jT_GnjZSc/TGdeKEWLlxI/AAAAAAAABak/pzzUZyg-UjE/s1152/_MG_9411.JPG

DISCLAIMER:
DIY is at your own risk...
common sense will usually keep you from making a ball head into an egg head or into some cosmetically horrific product.
please do this at your own risk... or have it done professionally...
or like ben_r, order the ball head without the plate mounted... hahaha...

thanks for reading...

cheers!

Albert the Clumsy Ape
GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET (external link) | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N

MannP
430 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 15, 2010 07:33 |  #3

Wish I had the proper tools when I tried to do the same mod to my Manfrotto ball head. I managed to snap off the column from the ball.

Nice work on documenting your mod. I always appreciate people that go out of their way to help others :)

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=463218

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,830 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 15, 2010 07:40 as a reply to  @ MannP's post |  #4

did the same basic procedure to replace Manfrotto plate with RRS QR clamp. Also did it on gorilla pod. ;) Put RRS L bracket on all bodies and plates on the 100-400's mounting ring foot.

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 15, 2010 08:53 |  #5

Nice thread. Thanks. But I don't have a workshop, so I sent mine setup to Markins, and for the postage both ways, and the $5 stud, I let them do it. At no other charge for the work.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

kinghong1970
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 15, 2010 09:26 |  #6

MannP wrote in post #10724455 (external link)
Wish I had the proper tools when I tried to do the same mod to my Manfrotto ball head. I managed to snap off the column from the ball.

Nice work on documenting your mod. I always appreciate people that go out of their way to help others :)

ouch on your ball head snap...

my tool and stuff, as you can see from the bkgnd black case, is a leftover from my previous hobby of case modding for liquid cooled PC cases... now it's been neglected due to my new found love... hahaha

MCAsan wrote in post #10724480 (external link)
did the same basic procedure to replace Manfrotto plate with RRS QR clamp. Also did it on gorilla pod. ;) Put RRS L bracket on all bodies and plates on the 100-400's mounting ring foot.

jeebus! a RRS on a gorilla pod... lol! post some pics!!!

tvphotog wrote in post #10724704 (external link)
Nice thread. Thanks. But I don't have a workshop, so I sent mine setup to Markins, and for the postage both ways, and the $5 stud, I let them do it. At no other charge for the work.

thank you... nice of them (Markins) to have done the work for you without extra charge...

Albert the Clumsy Ape

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,126 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Aug 15, 2010 11:16 as a reply to  @ kinghong1970's post |  #7

i removed my markins QR by giving it sharp rap with a rubber mallet. took like 5 seconds.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 15, 2010 13:03 as a reply to  @ ed rader's post |  #8

Removed mine by holding M10 ballhead (mounted on tripod) with cloth in one hand and twisting the clamp with the other. It came apart immediately.

Ditto to remove the RC2 clamp from my 486 ready for the QR-60 replacement on my monopod.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 15, 2010 17:56 |  #9

WOW! Great job with the write and thanks for doing this! If you dont mind Id like to reference this in my 1541T/Q3T review thread. I know there are a lot of people out there who are going to have to go through this process and will find this very helpful.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

kinghong1970
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 15, 2010 18:28 |  #10

ben_r_ wrote in post #10726965 (external link)
WOW! Great job with the write and thanks for doing this! If you dont mind Id like to reference this in my 1541T/Q3T review thread. I know there are a lot of people out there who are going to have to go through this process and will find this very helpful.

ben_r_
by all means... your thread is one of the reasons i went ahead with this mod and item selections...

Albert the Clumsy Ape

heliar
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 16, 2010 04:55 |  #11

this looks like Q3 Mk2, have they really improved the pan locking power?

rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 16, 2010 05:10 |  #12

ed rader wrote in post #10725242 (external link)
i removed my markins QR by giving it sharp rap with a rubber mallet. took like 5 seconds.

Where did you hit it? Did you secure the ball head first? Did you attach anything to the clamp to increase the torque from the mallet hit?

Roy

kinghong1970
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 16, 2010 07:14 |  #13

rvdw98 wrote in post #10729830 (external link)
Where did you hit it? Did you secure the ball head first? Did you attach anything to the clamp to increase the torque from the mallet hit?

when i spoke to Markins, they told me to tighten the knob on the clamp and hit the knob...

did not get good results, the vise grip seemed "safer"... and more controlled.

Albert the Clumsy Ape

peter_n
Goldmember
2,449 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 07, 2010 11:43 |  #14

Great pictures and description Albert! Thanks so much for taking the time and trouble to document the procedure so well, and to Ben for linking to this page from the first page of his monster thread. I actually did more-or-less the same thing as you, except that I wrapped both the ballhead and clamp in old rags, and I used an adjustable wrench on the clamp. I found that just a sudden anti-clockwise jerk on the wrench broke the Loctite seal, I've done it twice now.

~Peter

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 07, 2010 14:32 |  #15

Nice DIY Albert. Knowing my strength,I would've turned the ballhead into an egghead. :)

sponsored links

19,136 views & 0 likes for this thread
DIY: replacing Markins Q3 plate with RSS B2 LR II
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.