Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Aug 2010 (Sunday) 13:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24L + ? + 135L

Rsyx
619 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 15, 2010 13:07 |  #1

Okay, I've been here on the forums for a while now and I've received lots of great advice. My kit is starting to come together nicely and I'm having lots of fun delving deeper and deeper into photography.

My dilemma: what do I get between the 24L and 135L?

I was more or less set on the ZE 50 Makro-Planar, but find out more and more that the lens doesn't have the distinctive 3D-rendering that Zeiss is known for. I really liked this in my ZE 35 f/2, so I started doubting. This 2/50 that I wanted for so long, is it really what I need?

I use the 24L (Mark 1) as a general walkaround on my 40D, while the 135L is used for my tele needs. I like to shoot general land/cityscapes with my moderate wide-angle 24L (38 mm full frame equivalent). I would like a lens for shooting people and in a simple studio somewhere around 50mm.

So far, I've come up with the following options:
1. Purchase the ZE 50 Makro-Planar
2. Purchase the ZE 50 1.4 and upgrade the 24L1 to 24L2
3. Purchase the ZE 50 1.4 and change the 24L1 to ZE 21
4. Purchase the ZE 50 1.4 and keep the rest of the money in my pocket

I'm quite happy with my 24L1 at the moment, so going to the Mark 2 is not an absolute necessity to me. The TS-E that is still found in my signature will be sold off this coming weekend.

My budget is around €1000. I would greatly appreciate some insights besides the valuable information that I've received from a few members on the boards already. I've posted 4 options, but alternatives are very welcome as well. I would like to stick with primes.

5D II + ZE 50 MP

Jam.radonc
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 15, 2010 13:39 |  #2

Difficult decisions Rsyx. You are making me doubt too of my upcoming purchase. The Zeiss 50/1.4 is a fantastic lens at f2.8 and above and at f5.6 it's simply amazing. The way I look at it, I have the 24L II for night shots and perhaps what I need is a normal lens outdoor. Which would mean a smaller aperture use (read 50/1.4 stopped down)

Will I use the 50/2? No doubt I will but and it's a big but...will I have that unique Zeiss rendition. I hear the 50/1.4 at f5.6 has it in spades.

Looking at your options above maybe just maybe option 2 is a good one. It's something I need to try out myself in few weeks time. 50/2 vs. 35/2 vs. 50/1.4

Jam
5D3 | 450D | Panasonic DMC-LX3 | 430 EX II | ST-E2
24-70 L II | 50L | 50 1.8 I | 100L | Zeiss 35/2 ZE | Zeiss 85/2.8 | Zeiss 135/3.5
[COLOR="Silver"]Sold: 17-40L | 24L II | 85L II | 135L | Sigma 50/1.4 | 5D2

spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 15, 2010 13:50 |  #3

For portraits the ZE 50/1.4 is good even wide open as you really don't need it to be remarkably sharp. I find it has good 'pop' at 2.8-5.6 but again it depends on subject distance to camera and to background. If you like you 24L then I'd opt for option 4. Personally, I'd go for option 3 as i like the ZE 21 unless you need AF and low light capabilities in which case I'm still inclined for option 4.

Zerimar
Goldmember
3,529 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 15, 2010 13:57 |  #4

what about sigmas 50 f1.4?

Rick Rose - Add me! (external link) Photography Los Angeles California Hasselblad H2 x2 + Phase One IQ150 | Canon 5D MkII | RRS TVC-34L BH-55
HC 35 f3.5 | HC 100 f2.2 | HC 120 f4 Macro |HC 50-110 f3.5-4.5 | 85 f1.2 MkII L | 100 f2.8 Macro | 16-35 f2.8L II | 24-70 f2.8L II | Profoto + Mola
Gear List | Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Rsyx
THREAD ­ STARTER
619 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 15, 2010 14:17 |  #5

Thanks for the replies so far Jam.radonc, emitecaps and Zerimar. It is a very difficult decision to me indeed. Options 2 might be a good one, but might also work with option 4: first buy the ZE 50 1.4 and then see if I need an upgrade for my 24L.

The low light capabilities do come in handy with the 24L, of which I'd lose 2 stops if I switch to the ZE 21.

For some reason, I've never liked the Sigma rendering and think that I never will. The Sigma 50mm is therefore not an option to me. The Canon 50mm f/1.4 is, but it seems like there are better options out there. I would also really like to keep at least one Zeiss lens.

5D II + ZE 50 MP

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

942 views & 0 likes for this thread
24L + ? + 135L
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.