Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Aug 2010 (Monday) 01:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wipe out hawaiian style

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 16, 2010 01:35 |  #1

Last night me and my wife went out to go eat in Waikiki, i got my food and she wanted something else so we go to The royal Hawaiian Shopping center (great place to take photos)
We just missed the elevator so im waiting by the Big coco pot (coco nut Tree stump carved into a pot) this is over 6ft tall and weighs around 300+lb

Well i have my camera on a mono pod that's collapsed and im checking some settings when the pot rocks towards me i put my arm up to try and stop and it falls past me hits my mono-pod and rips the camera out of my hands.

all the little parts on the floor is my lens ( 50mm f1.8 )- the camera has a cracked LCD screen (xsi) and wont power on, my battery grip had to be forced open to reveal one broke battery - my tiltall tripod is now useless as one of the legs (converts to a mono-pod ) is crushed,

and to make things more worse i have to wait for 8am Monday to speak to he mall owners as no one is there weekends ,
i made a report with security,

Took 3 of us to lift the pot of he mono-pod

I was told these pots have fallen over before , there sposed to be secured with screw to a bracket - this on had 3 out of 4 screw - and the 3 were bent and corded the bottom of the pot had holes in it but they were not ripped or cracked - it was like the screws were not all they way in

im out $1000+ i hope they help me with this
thanks for reading

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

View My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
buurin
747 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 16, 2010 05:32 |  #2

wow. I'd imagine they should help you especially with the history of them falling over. That could have killed a kid if it weighs 300lbs.

B
30D ● 5D ● Canon 24-70/2.8L
Canon 17-40/4.0L Canon 50/1.4 ● Canon 100mm/2.8 Macro ● 2xVivitar 285HVs ● 430EX ● Cybersync Flash Triggers ● AB800 ● AB400 ● Vagabond II

puzzle
347 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 16, 2010 05:54 as a reply to  @ buurin's post |  #3

Its a good job that it landed on the camera rather than you ... but still, it's very sad to hear. I hope it turns out well in the end.

Canon5D mkII | 50D | Canon 24-70 f2.8L | Canon EF 85 f1.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex ii *2 | Elinchrom Skyports | Macbook Pro
http://www.paulwills.c​om (external link)

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 16, 2010 06:45 |  #4

Speak nicely to them and explain the situation. See if they will sort it out amicably - it will most likely be covered by insurance.

If that fails, try asking them how a little article in the local rag might look (especially when given the slant that it might easily have been a kid under there).

It certainly looks like that pot is no way secure enough - I would have thought it would have been bolted down with mechanical anchors if it weighs that much, not 4 screws.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 16, 2010 06:52 |  #5

+1 on the fact that it's camera gear and not you or the wife. Canon can be replaced!

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

scatdog
47 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 16, 2010 13:16 |  #6

Lets hope that the shopping center people are reasonable and will do the right thing. Please keep us posted on the outcome, good luck!

LONDON808
THREAD ­ STARTER
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 16, 2010 14:55 |  #7

Ok spoke to the mangers of the mall - told me there is nothing they can do they will pass information to the owners, i kind of got upset at this and asked if they could make sure some one called me today to let me know whats going on

Hour latter i got a call from there risk manger , very nice guy - told me that he would pass it onto there insurance company who would assign an adjuster and they would contact me today or tommorow -

updates to follow

View My Flickr (external link)

LarkM
176 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 16, 2010 15:03 |  #8

Wow, great news. If they are this responsive I suspect you won't have any problems. Of course, now that they have passed the buck to the insurance company you never know.

Perhaps there is a 7D in your future (you know, from the emotional toll this has had ... :D)

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 16, 2010 17:49 as a reply to  @ LarkM's post |  #9

If they don't immediately offer to cover 100% or more of your loss, call a lawyer. Let him negotiate for you. You negotiate with him that anything he settles for get you 100% or more cash in hand, plus his fee.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,297 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 16, 2010 20:22 |  #10

If they don't do right by you voluntarily, threaten them with a small claims lawsuit (up to $5000 is 'small claims') the fact that you will bring up to the judge 'tort negligence' on the part of the mall management and owners for not remedying a problem know to have occured in the past with pots topping over, for actual damages and punitive damages!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 16, 2010 22:20 |  #11

That's a shame that your brand new Canon 5DMark2 with the 24-105 L lens was smashed by that flowerpot.

;)

Thank you. bw!

Panda_stunter
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 16, 2010 22:27 |  #12

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #10735043 (external link)
That's a shame that your brand new Canon 5DMark2 with the 24-105 L lens was smashed by that flowerpot.

;)

if you gonna go that way, i think i see a broken 50L! :lol:

Gear List and Feedbacks MM#1909309
"Carpe DM Photography" (external link)
"The goal is to capture that certain moment that would tell its own story...no words required. Still trying." - Carpe DM photos (me)

heycow
771 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 16, 2010 22:31 |  #13

That's not a 50L. Here's a better image of what exactly got smashed: http://****/19NyEW (external link)

Hello, my name is BEN

Family Photos (external link) :: My Maya-A-Day (external link) :: One Owen-A-Day (external link)
Canon 40D :: Canon 24-105f/4L IS :: Canon 50f/1.4 :: Sigma 30f/1.4 :: Canon 580EXII w/Big FlipIt! :: Like a dozen different bags...Go Crumpler! :)

LarkM
176 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 16, 2010 22:50 |  #14

:lol:

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 17, 2010 00:50 as a reply to  @ LarkM's post |  #15

Wasn't this the camera?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

6,179 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wipe out hawaiian style
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.