Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Aug 2010 (Monday) 22:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking of making the switch - grass greener?

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 17, 2010 09:00 |  #31
bannedPermanent ban

vipergts831 wrote in post #10736975 (external link)
FYI2: I want a D3S. Just felt like throwing that out there. :lol:

Why?

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

sponsored links
vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,940 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Aug 17, 2010 09:02 |  #32

MichaelBernard wrote in post #10737002 (external link)
Why?

Use it once Mike and you will understand. ;)

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 17, 2010 09:07 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

vipergts831 wrote in post #10737009 (external link)
Use it once Mike and you will understand. ;)

I shot the d700, d3s, and my 5d2 at a wedding I second shot at a month or two ago. I have to tell you, I wasn't super impressed...they all felt about the same. My question stands, what do you not have in your 7d that this camera can offer that you actually NEED?

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

swerv927
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 17, 2010 09:09 |  #34

jacobsen1 wrote in post #10736998 (external link)
having owned a 5Dii for 9 months, then a D700 for a year, and now a 7D, let me add my $.02.

For what you want to shoot (landscapes and studio) the 5Dii will work fine for you. But you'll be initially disappointed with the speed of the AF and just the body in general (black out time, shutter reaction etc). It works great for what you want to shoot and it can even do sports when needed, but it IS a slower system. The 7D is a very similar camera to the D700/D300 though. Obviously the sensor is different, but it's speed is similar as are it's options. But for things that aren't moving that quick the 5Dii is great. And it can do sports, just not as well as some other options.

I did see a video on youtube yesterday comparing it to 7D and it was a world of difference. To be honest i dont really shoot more then 2-3 shots at a time. And for the most part, thats often not on purpose. Mostly because i held the trigger down too long with the d300s in Ch mode.

As far as sports, i dont really shoot much , as never spend the money on great seats, as you can tell im spending it all on cam equipment :lol:

Not sure if I would even miss the speed but i guess i would only find out if i made the switch.

Irving Jai
IrvingJai photography (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 17, 2010 09:16 as a reply to  @ swerv927's post |  #35

A word of warning.

I went from manual Nikons (FA and FE) to Canon AF (Eos-3) and it was an extremely difficult transition. The two companies are miles apart in the way they lay out the controls, what they think is or is not important etc. I paid for a one-day "introduction to the Eos-3" course which eased some of the pain.

I'm very pleased to have switched, but would think twice before seriously contemplating it again.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

vipergts831
43,940 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 17, 2010 09:16 |  #36

MichaelBernard wrote in post #10737043 (external link)
I shot the d700, d3s, and my 5d2 at a wedding I second shot at a month or two ago. I have to tell you, I wasn't super impressed...they all felt about the same. My question stands, what do you not have in your 7d that this camera can offer that you actually NEED?

Mike its like saying i want a ferrari. Do i need it? Nope. Do i want it? Yes. My infiniti can do just fine but that ferrari. Man! Truth be told the D3s is just an iso monster. I hate flash! I try to shoot everything without it (I know some will say just use flash but i just dont like it. To each thier own ;)) I love that its 12mp. I had 12 on my XSI and felt its the most that ill ever need. I dont crop what so ever. Love the ergonomics of it (some might not but i do). Focus system and images are awesome out of the rig. No other camera besides my own has impressed me like that. So ill continue to drive my infiniti and when i get that old man money ill drive that ferrari one day. :D...by then it will be like a 1989 ferrari testarosa ;):lol:

Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

swerv927
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 17, 2010 09:23 |  #37

Lowner wrote in post #10737097 (external link)
A word of warning.

I went from manual Nikons (FA and FE) to Canon AF (Eos-3) and it was an extremely difficult transition. The two companies are miles apart in the way they lay out the controls, what they think is or is not important etc. I paid for a one-day "introduction to the Eos-3" course which eased some of the pain.

I'm very pleased to have switched, but would think twice before seriously contemplating it again.

Thanks for the warning. Im fully aware that the layout of the buttons even the menus are very much different. It was actually the reason i was put off and went Nikon d300s. I originally shot with an Olympus E-3 and the nikon was a much smoother transition, as far as button layout/ergonomics. Even in store yesterday fiddling around with the 5dmkii, i was a bit lost at first.

But with anything, the more you use it, the more you get accustomed to it.

Irving Jai

swerv927
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 17, 2010 09:28 |  #38

vipergts831 wrote in post #10737098 (external link)
Mike its like saying i want a ferrari. Do i need it? Nope. Do i want it? Yes. My infiniti can do just fine but that ferrari. Man! Truth be told the D3s is just an iso monster. I hate flash! I try to shoot everything without it (I know some will say just use flash but i just dont like it. To each thier own ;)) I love that its 12mp. I had 12 on my XSI and felt its the most that ill ever need. I dont crop what so ever. Love the ergonomics of it (some might not but i do). Focus system and images are awesome out of the rig. No other camera besides my own has impressed me like that. So ill continue to drive my infiniti and when i get that old man money ill drive that ferrari one day. :D...by then it will be like a 1989 ferrari testarosa ;):lol:

Omar, dont forget the leather gloves when handling the D3s :lol:

Irving Jai

vipergts831
43,940 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 17, 2010 09:30 |  #39

swerv927 wrote in post #10737163 (external link)
Omar, dont forget the leather gloves when handling the D3s :lol:

lol and the boat shoes with no socks with a sweater around my neck :lol:

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 17, 2010 09:33 |  #40
bannedPermanent ban

vipergts831 wrote in post #10737098 (external link)

I suppose, though I found the colors to be drab between the two Nikons relative to my Canon. Though that might have been the settings. Someone pointed out that they give awesome color when tweaked.

I will say though, I used the d700 and 70-200mm VRII for most of the night. I want that lens to have my babies....

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …sting/Smilies/D​rool-1.gif (external link)

swerv927
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 17, 2010 09:48 |  #41

MichaelBernard wrote in post #10737187 (external link)
I suppose, though I found the colors to be drab between the two Nikons relative to my Canon. Though that might have been the settings. Someone pointed out that they give awesome color when tweaked.

I will say though, I used the d700 and 70-200mm VRII for most of the night. I want that lens to have my babies....
[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

Colors definitely need tweaking either in cam or post process. Even if the adjustment is small, i alway touch it a bit. I feel like i'll need to do less and less of that with canon.

Irving Jai

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 17, 2010 09:52 as a reply to  @ MichaelBernard's post |  #42

swerv927 wrote in post #10737059 (external link)
Not sure if I would even miss the speed but i guess i would only find out if i made the switch.

it's not just FPS though. A 5 series is a slower more deliberate experience. Hard to explain really. And it's not necessarily a BAD thing, it's just different.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

swerv927
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 17, 2010 10:38 |  #43

Heading over to mess around with it some more. Luckily im not too far from B&H and have access to one.

Its just that B&H has great lighting, so it makes any camera perform great..lol

Irving Jai

blad3s
62 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 17, 2010 11:35 as a reply to  @ swerv927's post |  #44

I have used Nikon for over 10 years and have only very recently made the switch..... I found it a huge consideration before making the jump but ultimately for me it's all about the results...... I'm not sure why or even if others would agree but I do prefer the colors and tones from my new Canon. I had a D700 and D3S and now have just the 5MK2. I will get a second body hopefully when the next EOS1 is released but currently I am very pleased I made the switch. :)

Canon EOS 1D4, EF 20mm F2.8, EF 100mm F2.8L, MP-E 65mm F2.5, 580EX, MT-24EX

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 17, 2010 12:45 |  #45

Nikon and Canon certainly have different interpretations of colour. Canon traditionally favour more red. Certainly I don't like Canons "Landscape" or even "natural" colouring, preferring to use "faithful" as my base before post processing.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links

8,146 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thinking of making the switch - grass greener?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.