Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 17 Aug 2010 (Tuesday) 07:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

In need of some storage

Eclyps19
219 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 17, 2010 07:20 |  #1

Upcoming trip to africa. I don't need anything absurdly fast, but I do want to make sure I have a lot of space. I'm looking for 16GB cards and I found some for a good price on Amazon - I'm worried about the quality, though. I've heard stories about poor batches of cards being sold at a lower price.

Does $50 for a 30MB/s 200x 16GB Sandisk CF card seem too low to be normal? Most cards of this size and speed I see are at least $65.

Canon 30D | Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 380 EX Flash

dlight
47 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 17, 2010 09:37 |  #2

I am going to Africa in October for 3 weeks. I was thinking of bringing 3x16 cards. Due to weight restriction I can't bring a laptop, not sure if you have the same issue. I was thinking about the hyperdrive for backup.

7D, 50mm 1.4, 17-40L, 70-200 f4 IS

Eclyps19
THREAD ­ STARTER
219 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 17, 2010 09:42 |  #3

yeah, I'm actually bringing a small netbook with me to back everything up with, but I was also planning on buying 2 x 16 cards so I would have to delete as few images as possible from any source. 20kg isn't much for a 3 week stay, but I'm going to make it work.

Canon 30D | Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 380 EX Flash

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 17, 2010 12:45 |  #4

dlight wrote in post #10737218 (external link)
I am going to Africa in October for 3 weeks. I was thinking of bringing 3x16 cards. Due to weight restriction I can't bring a laptop, not sure if you have the same issue. I was thinking about the hyperdrive for backup.

That's what I would use. There are some here who buy two Hyperdrives for a double backup. If you buy the empty case version and put in your own hard drive, you can save a bundle. That way, you can you only two cards for the whole trip.

Take a backup battery charger in case something happens to your primary one, and backup batteries.

For the OP: if you have the time, watch for CF card sales at B&H and Adorama. Sometimes you can snag a Sandisk for what you would pay for a cheaper card.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

683 views & 0 likes for this thread
In need of some storage
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.