Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 18 Aug 2010 (Wednesday) 06:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bloody Pigeons!

Cosha
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 18, 2010 06:07 |  #1

I just finished my first hide in the garden, set up some natural looking feeders and got everything right!

Its been in the garden now for a week, the weather is coming in for winter soon so im expecting a few more birds around looking for free food!

About 100ft away i have a tall tree that has a whole family of Pigeons, including some youngs!

I do alot of vermin control also for some local farmers and bagged alot of pigeons in my time due to pest reasons (I dont just go shooting for fun, sometimes pests do need to be made smaller)

It maybe because im getting softer in my old age, but i cant for the life of me take out this family pigeons in my garden that eating ALL of my feed and breaking up my feeding station!

I have had my crosshairs on the daddy of the bunch fully loaded but i could not do it knowing he had a family too feed!

I have set up there own feeding station to keep them happy away from my hide station but they wont touch it, they would rather smash up my hide station!

What can i do?

I have stopped putting feed in my hide station for them to take but there that dumb they stand around waiting for me to top it up even though they have a feast less that 30ft away!

Oh...Hello :)

sponsored links
imagesbybarbara
Goldmember
1,790 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 18, 2010 07:07 |  #2

As I read this I have about thirty pigeons eating my seeds. I would gladly take your small family...lol

They are pesty little critters.

16-35 2.8L 24-105L 35 1.4L 135L 50 1.4 85 1.8 and 100 macro, 5D, 5D2, 40D, 20D, (3) 550, 2 Sunpak 555, white lighting studio set-up.

DeCeccoNET
711 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 18, 2010 07:13 |  #3

Cosha wrote in post #10742926 (external link)
What can i do?

Take pictures!

We had a nest right outside out door. It was a nuisance, with the droppings and the threat of attack by "daddy" but we let it be, and I took a picture every morning for the next few weeks.

I know have a chronicle of a pregnant pidgin, followed by two babies, and then leaving the nest.

Sure they aren’t the prettiest birds, but they can be subjects too.

Sold all my gear to support starting a family... who inspired me to re-focus on photography again.
70D, EF-S 24 2.8, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 100 2.8L Macro

Cosha
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 18, 2010 08:14 as a reply to  @ DeCeccoNET's post |  #4

I know it would be good to hone my skills, but to be honest i could walk to our local park with a hand full of seed and they would feed from my hand!

I was expecting to be out in the hide a few hours after work every day with a cup of tea to wait for maybe a few wild birds or something to come along to get me excited, more of a challenge per say :D

I know birds pass this way i have seen them around in the garden - but because of the fatty family the little ones get pushed out!

There is a robbin that flitters around and a few wood peckers that i would love to photograph!

I guess the smalls will get hungry in winter and will try there hardest to get some dinner!

ZedR2
171 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 18, 2010 09:36 |  #5

I hear that Pigeon tastes just like Chicken :eek:

Canon 7D | EF-S 18-135 Kit | Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS USM | Canon 70-200 IS USM f/4L | Canon 100-400L | Canon Grip | 580EX II
~Paul~

Cosha
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 18, 2010 09:40 as a reply to  @ ZedR2's post |  #6

You were told a lie! :D

3 of them makes enough for a small pot, but its like eating rubber, salty rubber!

Phesent = better than chicken :)

twiant
36 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 23, 2010 00:12 |  #7

pull the trigger

Tyler Wiant
Gripped Rebel T1I

sponsored links

1,328 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bloody Pigeons!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.