Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Aug 2010 (Wednesday) 14:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone with one lens by choice?

mxracer535
Goldmember
1,140 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 18, 2010 14:15 |  #1

So, I've tried just about every lens out there, and end up selling all of them...expect for my 35L. Right now, I have the 24L and 35L, and I'm trying to sell the 24L (let me know if you are interested), and I was planning on picking up the 50 1.4 (again) and the 85 1.8 (again), so I'd have some "variety."

But, now I'm thinking that I really don't NEED anything other than my 35L, and that I may just pocket the money... Every time I use a lens other than my 35L I feel awkward, and usually don't like the look of the pictures. My mind just seems to think in 35mm (feel free to check out my flickr to get a feel for my work)

So, am I just a "one trick wonder" for only be able to shoot with a 35? Anyone else have/thinking of having just ONE lens?

Or am I just insane...?

NADA...sold off my gear and bought a motorcycle. I might be back shooting someday...

Mi nombre es Jamey

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 18, 2010 14:18 |  #2

You're insane (you asked). Yes, definitely insane. ;)

You'll change your mind again. Keep all the glass you buy. Never let it go.

Thank you. bw!

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 18, 2010 14:28 |  #3

depends on what I'm shooting, but for personal work I felt that way about my 24L on FF for a long time (2 years+). I'd put just that lens on and go anywhere and make it work. If it works for you it works for you, don't let the collectors tell you otherwise.

If you did add one lens to that though, I'd go with just the 85 at first. Seems like the 35/85 combo works very well and 50 is kinda too similar to both?

Also, which 24 do you have? I just sold my 24L today and I'm 24LII shopping (used)...

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Aug 18, 2010 14:30 as a reply to  @ MikeFairbanks's post |  #4

You must have a very narrow selection of things you like to shoot if all you want to use is a 35mm on a FF camera...

You might want to look at broadening your photographic horizons. If you shoot one specific type of subject matter all the time, it's very easy to get stuck in a creative rut.

John

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 18, 2010 14:30 |  #5

Nothing wrong with having only one lens if it does all you need and want.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

CountryBoy
"Tired of Goldmember label"
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 18, 2010 14:47 |  #6

cdifoto wrote in post #10745357 (external link)

Very true . But it sounds like a job for the Bigma II :lol: !

Hi

madhatter04
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 18, 2010 14:55 |  #7

cdifoto wrote in post #10745357 (external link)

I agree... I think there's a bit of a stigma around here that when you're into photography, you HAVE to like shooting sports, landscapes, portraits, motocross, birds in flight, llamas in pink bikinis in Lebanon, and the whole nine yards. Some people (myself included) focus (photo pun) on the area in which their passion lay. If someone asked me to shoot a motorcycle race, I'd probably hurl.

Designer // Art Director // Photographer
www.alexanderfitch.com (external link) | AlexFitchPhoto on Instagram (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 18, 2010 15:02 |  #8

I don't get a sense that we have to like everything, but I do get a feeling that if we're aren't prepared equipment-wise to shoot anything and everything, we're viewed as not being real photographers.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

madhatter04
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 18, 2010 15:03 |  #9

cdifoto wrote in post #10745539 (external link)
I don't get a sense that we have to like everything, but I do get a feeling that if we're aren't prepared equipment-wise to shoot anything and everything, we're viewed as not being real photographers.

My longest lens is 135mm and it's usually too long. :D

Yeah, maybe 'like' was the wrong word to use.

Designer // Art Director // Photographer
www.alexanderfitch.com (external link) | AlexFitchPhoto on Instagram (external link)

sebr
Goldmember
4,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 18, 2010 15:06 |  #10

I have seen you work in the 35L archives (obviously) and the shots look great. You have a specific style and the 35L seems to fit this style. If you are happy with that, why not?

Have you tried the 85L?

Sebastien
5D mkIII ; 17-40L ; 24-105L ; 70-200L II ; 70-300L ; 35L ; Σ85/1.4 ; 135L ; 100macro ; Kenko 1.4x ; 2x mkIII ; 580EXII
M5 ; M1 ; 11-22 ; 18-150 ; 22/2.0 ; EF adapter; Manfrotto LED
Benron Tripod; ThinkTank, Lowepro and Crumpler bags; Fjällräven backpack

jasonlitka
900 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 18, 2010 15:18 |  #11

I've got more than one lens, but, aside from some test shots with the rest of my bag to microadjust, my 7D has had the 24L II exclusively. That's pretty close to the FOV with your 35L on a 5D.

Jason Litka | Utter Ramblings (external link)
7D, Rebel T2i, 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, 70-300mm f/4-5.6L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, 24mm f/1.4L II USM, 10-22mm USM, 17-85mm IS USM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Speedlite 270EX, Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5, Fuji X100s on order.

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 18, 2010 15:25 as a reply to  @ jasonlitka's post |  #12

cdifoto wrote in post #10745539 (external link)

yeah, interesting point. like I said, for personal work it'd be fun to use just ONE lens and force it when it wasn't ideal. But because I try to make money at this, I need a few other lenses just for those subjects...

B&H blogged about pro -vs- am today (a video from ZA). One of the points that came up which I agree with is a photographer isn't necessarily and artist. But for some people who work really well at one FL, I could easily see how they're an artist but NOT a professional? IE being a professional usually suggests you need to cover more bases in terms of ways to make money if that makes sense?

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

mxracer535
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,140 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 18, 2010 15:30 |  #13

jacobsen1 wrote in post #10745350 (external link)
depends on what I'm shooting, but for personal work I felt that way about my 24L on FF for a long time (2 years+). I'd put just that lens on and go anywhere and make it work. If it works for you it works for you, don't let the collectors tell you otherwise.

If you did add one lens to that though, I'd go with just the 85 at first. Seems like the 35/85 combo works very well and 50 is kinda too similar to both?

Also, which 24 do you have? I just sold my 24L today and I'm 24LII shopping (used)...

I have the mark1. If I decided to pick up other lenses, I'll definitely get the 85. I've had the 50 1.4 before, and honestly wan't that big of a fan of the FL, but I figure if I have a bunch of money sitting around from selling the 24L that i might as well give it another try...

JWright wrote in post #10745356 (external link)
You must have a very narrow selection of things you like to shoot if all you want to use is a 35mm on a FF camera...

You might want to look at broadening your photographic horizons. If you shoot one specific type of subject matter all the time, it's very easy to get stuck in a creative rut.

I wouldn't say I have a very narrow selection, I dabble with a little bit of everything but my passion is with portraits, so thats what I focus on. Like madhatter said, you don't have to do everything...I don't get any joy out of shooting flowers...

And even when I do other things I always seem to use the 35L no matter what other lenses I have in my bag. I've been trying to break that "habit" for awhile now, but I think its time I just start to embrace it

sebr wrote in post #10745564 (external link)
I have seen you work in the 35L archives (obviously) and the shots look great. You have a specific style and the 35L seems to fit this style. If you are happy with that, why not?

Have you tried the 85L?

The 85L is the one/only lens that I have not tried, but REALLY want to try. Unfortunately, I don't see myself being able to afford the extra $700+ it would cost me to get one

NADA...sold off my gear and bought a motorcycle. I might be back shooting someday...

Mi nombre es Jamey

Flickr (external link)

mxracer535
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,140 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 18, 2010 15:38 |  #14

jacobsen1 wrote in post #10745678 (external link)
yeah, interesting point. like I said, for personal work it'd be fun to use just ONE lens and force it when it wasn't ideal. But because I try to make money at this, I need a few other lenses just for those subjects...

B&H blogged about pro -vs- am today (a video from ZA). One of the points that came up which I agree with is a photographer isn't necessarily and artist. But for some people who work really well at one FL, I could easily see how they're an artist but NOT a professional? IE being a professional usually suggests you need to cover more bases in terms of ways to make money if that makes sense?

You do have a very good point about a professional having to be able to cover many different aspects of photography in order to make a living, but I didn't get into photography just to get a pay check (thats what my chefing career is for). I got into it to be an artist, and if I make money while doing it (which I am), all the better.

So, while I agree that being a professional doesn't make you an artist, and being an artist doesn't make you a professional, I don't see why you can't be both under the right circumstances?

Mi nombre es Jamey

Flickr (external link)

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 18, 2010 15:49 |  #15

mxracer535 wrote in post #10745749 (external link)
So, while I agree that being a professional doesn't make you an artist, and being an artist doesn't make you a professional, I don't see why you can't be both under the right circumstances?

totally agreed, and I'm glad you got what I was saying.

Personally, I know I'm far from an artist, but my best shot at it is with a single FL prime on one body like you're saying. 24 on FF or crop is pretty much it for me. But what I make money at with photography NEEDS different lenses (landscape and arch need a UWA zoom and sports need length). I will say I also enjoy shooting those things though, so maybe I'm a bad example? But if I were just shooting for myself then I could easily be in the one lens boat. I MUCH prefer shooting like that honestly, so much less to think about.

Hell, even when I'm working, I usually fall into this as well. If I'm shooting arch I'll use the 10-22 the entire time. I'll bring other lenses but only in case the clients force me to do something I wouldn't. Same for sports, 100-400 the whole time unless something weird pops up.

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

sponsored links

5,162 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone with one lens by choice?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.