Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Aug 2010 (Thursday) 06:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

"GOBO"

Shamir
508 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 19, 2010 06:41 |  #1

Can you guys post pictures of different gobos and effects?

I have some studio photoshoots coming up and want to have an Idea of how do you guys use them to create nice effects :)!!!

thanks in advance!

Shamir
My Website - Click Here (external link)

sponsored links
abbadon31
Goldmember
4,997 posts
Gallery: 264 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 19, 2010 08:34 |  #2

I make mine in Illustrator then bring it into photoshop on a onion layer using the displace filter or vanishing point filter.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/4811670374_866a35edf6_z.jpg

I AM SHOM

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 19, 2010 09:34 |  #3

I though OP was asking about gobo, a physical thing.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 19, 2010 10:36 |  #4

Gobos are physical. They GO BOfore a light sorce. I know, I know.... but GOBE is not as cute, so it is GOBO. They are basically cutouts to give an effect on the light that you may find in life. There are windows as mentioned, there are also tree branches, some look like camo.

Just google it and you will find tons of them. From dance club ones to trade show ones... http://www.google.com …n&tab=wi&biw=16​51&bih=815 (external link)

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 19, 2010 10:39 |  #5

It's "gobo" because it was used for film first. It was "go before optics" first before it became "go between" for photography.

Sean | Blog (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 19, 2010 11:54 |  #6

Mark1 wrote in post #10750210 (external link)
Gobos are physical. They GO BOfore a light sorce. I know, I know.... but GOBE is not as cute, so it is GOBO. They are basically cutouts to give an effect on the light that you may find in life. There are windows as mentioned, there are also tree branches, some look like camo.

I thought they were called cookies, not gobos?

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 19, 2010 11:59 |  #7

bobbyz wrote in post #10750687 (external link)
I thought they were called cookies, not gobos?

They are also known as a cucoloris which is a type of gobo. You can make your own using black wrap foil.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Cucoloris (external link)

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 19, 2010 12:39 |  #8

There are a few names they go by. Some people even call a flag a GOBO. As it does go before the light, it just blocks all the light

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,997 posts
Gallery: 264 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 19, 2010 12:46 |  #9

LOL

GOBOs are a few different things.

I AM SHOM

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,167 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 19, 2010 12:52 |  #10

Seanzky wrote in post #10750244 (external link)
It's "gobo" because it was used for film first. It was "go before optics" first before it became "go between" for photography.

It's till "Go Before Optics", and just to be clear, when we say Film, we mean movie industry, not film as in "before digital" so we aren;t talking about a time period. And of course GOBOs are used live theatre. They go in theatrical lighting instruments..

It's use in Photography at all is the tiniest fraction of the industry,. like 1/100th of 1% of the industry.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,167 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 19, 2010 12:56 |  #11

breal101 wrote in post #10750724 (external link)
They are also known as a cucoloris which is a type of gobo. You can make your own using black wrap foil.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Cucoloris (external link)

Jyst FYI, I've worked in theatre lighting my whole life, including live theatre and film industries,. and I've never known a single person use the terms above as synonyms for GOBO.
We use GOBO only, never "cookie", never "Cucoloris",. so I don't know where GOBOs are also known as those terms.

I think this might be why the term is an "orphan" on Wiki, since the term has clearly been orphaned. :lol:

Seriously, they mean different things, the GOBO is used inside the lightning instrument before the lens, thus "Go before the Optics" of the lighting instrument itself. The Cookie etc, is placed in the path of the lights final output, it is not "projected" it is simply a cast shadow.

but I can assure you, it's not a term used in Theatre or Film industries for a Gobo to any remarkable degree.

we use "GOBO" or "Pattern" even for home made ones, so long as it is placed in the light instrument before the optics of said light.

The three largest suppliers in the U.S. are

Rosco, who call them GOBO;
http://www.rosco.com/u​s/products/index.cfm (external link)

Lee, who call them GOBO;
http://www.leefilters.​com/lighting/products/​gobos/ (external link)

GAM or Great American Market, who use "Pattern" and "GOBO";
http://www.gamonline.c​om/catalog/pattern_sea​rch.php (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 19, 2010 13:22 |  #12

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #10751030 (external link)
Jyst FYI, I've worked in theatre lighting my whole life, including live theatre and film industries,. and I've never known a single person use the terms above as synonyms for GOBO.
We use GOBO only, never "cookie", never "Cucoloris",. so I don't know where GOBOs are also known as those terms.

I think this might be why the term is an "orphan" on Wiki, since the term has clearly been orphaned. :lol:

Seriously, they mean different things, the GOBO is used inside the lightning instrument before the lens, thus "Go before the Optics" of the lighting instrument itself. The Cookie etc, is placed in the path of the lights final output, it is not "projected" it is simply a cast shadow.

but I can assure you, it's not a term used in Theatre or Film industries for a Gobo to any remarkable degree.

we use "GOBO" or "Pattern" even for home made ones, so long as it is placed in the light instrument before the optics of said light.

The three largest suppliers in the U.S. are

Rosco, who call them GOBO;
http://www.rosco.com/u​s/products/index.cfm (external link)

Lee, who call them GOBO;
http://www.leefilters.​com/lighting/products/​gobos/ (external link)

GAM or Great American Market, who use "Pattern" and "GOBO";
http://www.gamonline.c​om/catalog/pattern_sea​rch.php (external link)

I had a studio next to a film production company and they used cucoloris to describe the ones that break up the light and gobo for a solid flag.

BTW, Did you know that Roxy Music is still touring? I heard the concert in Scotland was fantastic, they do a couple of shows in London in January. I know we share Avalon as one of our favorite albums.

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,167 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 19, 2010 13:24 |  #13

I did not,. but now I will listen to Avalon on the way home from work! :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Shamir
THREAD ­ STARTER
508 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 19, 2010 19:32 |  #14

I'm making a studio photoshoot and I would like to experiment a bit, so im going to buy a black umbrella and fill it with holes and shoot that to my grey background and see how it comes out with some gels :p

Shamir
My Website - Click Here (external link)

Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 19, 2010 22:58 |  #15

abbadon31 wrote in post #10749581 (external link)
I make mine in Illustrator then bring it into photoshop on a onion layer using the displace filter or vanishing point filter.

QUOTED IMAGE

What type of background is that and where can i get it?

I really like the cloudy black backgrounds - I just don't know how I can get my hands on it.

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

sponsored links

4,477 views & 0 likes for this thread
"GOBO"
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.