Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 19 Aug 2010 (Thursday) 09:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A55: 16 MP, HD Video and 10 FPS w/AF, Built in IS, GPS, Swivel Screen

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,234 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 24, 2010 15:33 |  #61

Zoiks, well that is an eye opener for sure.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
Er1kksen
175 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 24, 2010 15:35 |  #62

toxic wrote in post #10779787 (external link)
Seriously, don't bring up film. That's just a cop-out argument. AF viewfinders and lenses don't compare.

Are the 500D/D90 fantastic? No, but they don't have serious problems just getting a fast-moving object in focus.

It's a cop-out to point out that every tool has its limitations and it's up to the user to learn to use them competently? Give me a break. Do you expect your camera to do everything for you automatically? You have to work with it. The hands-on report over at imaging resource noted that while the AF/burst is strange to work with at first, once you get used to it it's highly useful. If the examples shown in the youtube video linked to above are at all indicative of the A55's performance then I'd have to say your statements are completely off-base and stand on absolutely nothing.

I'm not sure where you're finding "serious problems" focusing on fast-moving objects, at least as far as being worse than a 550D/D90. Perhaps taking choice phrases out of context from a specific early report and reshaping them in your mind until they say what you want them to say?

You're missing the point. Every camerq can get confused. The issue is the A55 simply stinks at tracking anything moving, despite having all the advantages of a pellicle mirror. And what about that "recovery time"?

Missing the point? That was my point. Except that it doesn't stink at tracking anything that moves. In fact a number of reviewers thus far have been impressed with its tracking ability (for a sub-$1k camera). Recovery time is a pain, yes, but that's a buffer issue and not too hard for them to improve in future models. Most sports shooters I know shoot in jpeg and rarely squeeze off a burst of more than a second at any given time (timing is, after all, more important than any framerate), so it wouldn't be an issue for their use anyhow.

Are you really going to try to declare a camera worthless just due to a few minor (and exaggerated) details that are rarely going to pose an issue in day-to-day shooting? Is slow recovery from shooting 20 RAW frames at 10fps so terrible when you consider that no other camera anywhere near its price point gives you the capability to do anything even close to that?

It's a solid product with some extra juice provided by new technology that's still got a couple of things that need sorting. Try pulling your head out of your a** and appreciating things for what they are. There are a lot of fantastic products on the market today from every camera brand, and these new cameras are among them.

40D, 85mm f1.8, DC 952AF flash

stateman
192 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 24, 2010 16:33 as a reply to  @ Er1kksen's post |  #63

I think no matter how we slice it, this camera is a significant development - particularly at these price points.

Am I going to sell my EOS body and lenses tomorrow, of course not. But this is a fascinating option in the marketplace now.

I wonder how much the A55 + the 24/F2 will be going for....that could be close to what I paid for the 7D alone.

6D - 35L II / 24-70 4.0 / 85 1.8 VC / 70-200 2.8 II

ryon
164 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 24, 2010 16:39 |  #64

Slick design and implemtation on sony, but it still falls a tad short in some areas

|Nikon D700| 24-70 2.8G | Sigma 50 1.4 |SB-800|
and a bunch of Strobes

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 24, 2010 16:41 |  #65
bannedPermanent ban

Canon falling farther and farther behind

Gear List

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 24, 2010 17:06 |  #66

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #10780732 (external link)
Canon falling farther and farther behind

That I have a hard time agreeing with. How and who are they behind?

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 24, 2010 17:20 |  #67
bannedPermanent ban

little minor things like
build in gps
more focus points compared to rebel/xxD series
sensor is
HDR in camera
panorama sweep
wi-fi in camera (nikon)
no 4/3 camera system
Articulated screen
better color gamut on nikon

Gear List

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 24, 2010 19:26 |  #68

Er1kksen wrote in post #10780355 (external link)
It's a cop-out to point out that every tool has its limitations and it's up to the user to learn to use them competently? Give me a break. Do you expect your camera to do everything for you automatically?

The issue is these shouldn't be limitations...aside from the EVF delay in continuous mode, which I realized is the tradeoff with an EVF reading from the sensor.

Why should 10fps be restricted to AE? IR says the aperture must be "locked" to "[remove] the delay required to set and reset the aperture to allow focusing between shots." Why is the aperture an issue? Every SLR lens has to move its aperture blades continuously. Do Sony lenses really not stop down and open up fast enough?

DPR also says the 10 fps AE mode doesn't choose the best shutter speeds for action since it sticks to 1/FL. It would have been acceptable if it chose faster shutter speeds, but it apparently doesn't.

If the examples shown in the youtube video linked to above are at all indicative of the A55's performance then I'd have to say your statements are completely off-base and stand on absolutely nothing.

Sure. Then again, I quoted DPR, so their testing comes into question.

I'm not sure where you're finding "serious problems" focusing on fast-moving objects, at least as far as being worse than a 550D/D90. Perhaps taking choice phrases out of context from a specific early report and reshaping them in your mind until they say what you want them to say?

"Choice phrases"? I quoted entire paragraphs for context and linked to the page. You can read it yourself if you're so inclined.

Are you really going to try to declare a camera worthless just due to a few minor (and exaggerated) details that are rarely going to pose an issue in day-to-day shooting?

When did I "declare it worthless"?

toxic wrote in post #10776332 (external link)
Looks good on paper as an action camera...but Sony completely failed at taking advantage of the pellicle mirror.

Is slow recovery from shooting 20 RAW frames at 10fps so terrible when you consider that no other camera anywhere near its price point gives you the capability to do anything even close to that?

To be fair, DPR didn't make it clear that the 20 second recovery only happened with a full buffer. At the same time, completely locking up the camera and blacking out the EVF and LCD just because the user pressed the "display" button while the camera is writing data is, frankly, a stupid idea, and I'm not convinced it's a limitation that can't be easily worked around. Just pop up an error message instead of freezing the camera.

(DPR): However, if after finishing a burst, you try to access image review, the A55 freezes. Both EVF and LCD black out, the camera remains completely frozen (except for AF, oddly, which still operates) for roughly 20 seconds.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 24, 2010 19:37 |  #69

996gt2 wrote in post #10780326 (external link)
Imaging Resource's full A55 review actually states that the AF is "comparable" to the 7D:

"We shot side by side with the Sony A55 and a Canon 7D, and felt that the A55's AF performance here was pretty similar to that of the much more expensive Canon."

You can word things how you wish. A Yugo and a Porsche are similar because they are both cars. ;)

Seriously, the a33/55 has just 3 cross type AF sensors and the 7D has all cross types along with 2 CPU's for over all greater camera performance.

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 24, 2010 19:46 |  #70

In some ways, as the market leader, its not canons job to push into new makets, like the EVIL cameras, why should canon spend $ to break open a new market when you can let the others do it then storm in later when the markets more mature.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 24, 2010 19:50 |  #71

RobDickinson wrote in post #10781618 (external link)
In some ways, as the market leader, its not canons job to push into new makets, like the EVIL cameras, why should canon spend $ to break open a new market when you can let the others do it then storm in later when the markets more mature.

Because when you break into a market, nobody has "one" yet. But if you get in with a mature market, many buyers already have "one" and hence fewer potential buyers. Sort of like kodak's late efforts into digital cameras. They didn't see digital cameras taking over film as quickly as it did and they were poorly positioned to be a significant player. All they mainly do now is make some image sensors for MF digital backs - a very low volume item. Kodak P&S cameras are junky and make super user friendly and not advanced at all.

bjyoder
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 24, 2010 20:00 |  #72

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #10780181 (external link)
Yes, I'd like to know how we drew the conclusion that AF "not as good as the 1D MkIV" is somehow translated to mean "Stinks" and " a lot worse than the 500D and D90"

It seems to me that when reviewing a $750.00 camera to be in a position to be comparing it to the 1D MkIV AF system at all is in fact a huge pat on the Sony's back.

I did not read that at all in the hands on review.

I think there's a flaw in the reasoning on all sides of that argument. The only reason the 1D series is even mentioned is because of the continuous fps specs being the same. Many hoped that these cameras were going to be mini-1D's, and that got the ball rolling on the comparisons, but, like has been said, the thing is $750! There is no comparison. :)

Ben

500px (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

dithiolium
697 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 24, 2010 20:26 |  #73

Canon shld adopt the in-camera HDR function.

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis of a government
Gear List / Flickr (external link)

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 24, 2010 20:31 |  #74

Oh gods no.

Give us 9 shot bracketing is all.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 24, 2010 21:31 |  #75
bannedPermanent ban

dithiolium wrote in post #10781839 (external link)
Canon shld adopt the in-camera HDR function.

sooner or later they will, they will call it huge inovation

Gear List

sponsored links

28,181 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sony A55: 16 MP, HD Video and 10 FPS w/AF, Built in IS, GPS, Swivel Screen
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.