Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Aug 2010 (Friday) 10:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon printers are amazing!

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 20, 2010 10:49 |  #1

Hello folks.
Yesterday I got a Canon Pro9000 MkII and of course the first thing I printed was test images, especially the PhotoDisc Target. They were really great, of course.:)

The thing that really surprised me is that they weren't any different from the ones that I printed with my Canon iP2600, which costs the grand sum of $30 at Walmart! I've pored over those prints, and sought other opinions, and everybody agrees, there's no difference.

I've always been impressed by the prints from the 2600 but never had anything to compare them to except prints from the drugstore. I thought surely a "good" printer would blow the 2600 out of the water. Not so!

Of course, the 2600 drinks ink like it was water! Seriously! And it's slower and louder than the Pro9000, and nobody makes profiles for it except Canon (with Canon papers). But I think it's amazing that such an inexpensive printer can make prints like that!

sponsored links
ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 20, 2010 11:17 |  #2

Congrats on the new printer!

When comparing test prints, how large did you print? The difference will be seen when you print larger prints. And... Try this B&W image. It's a good test for grayscale tonality and smooth gradients.

http://www.on-sight.com …Onsight_BW_Eval​uation.zip (external link)

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

George ­ E.
241 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 20, 2010 11:55 as a reply to  @ ChasP505's post |  #3

I have a canon ip4200 (3 color plus two blacks) as my "regular" printer and a ip6600 (6 color) for photos. I paid $50 for the 4200 and the prints look great .... almost as good as the ip6600.. very close.

It's amazing how good a job a $50 printer can do

George

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 20, 2010 12:06 |  #4

ChasP505 wrote in post #10756876 (external link)

Thanks!:)

When comparing test prints, how large did you print? The difference will be seen when you print larger prints.

Ahhh, okay, I hadn't thought about that. 4x6

And... Try this B&W image. It's a good test for grayscale tonality and smooth gradients.

Okay, good, I'll check that out.

You know, I have to admit: I want my new printer to be able to make higher quality prints than my previous one. :p

Thanks

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 20, 2010 12:22 |  #5

ncjohn wrote in post #10757149 (external link)
You know, I have to admit: I want my new printer to be able to make higher quality prints than my previous one. :p

And it will... Just wait until you print your first 13x19. :D

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

mickee311
322 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 20, 2010 14:25 |  #6

I got the iP2600 from UPS today and because I'm an idiot and haven't bought a printer in years, I thought it would come with a USB.....Negative. I want to print! I hear great things about this one, though. I hope it does well with larger prints. But you can't beat free, which is how much it cost me :)

Jenn
Canon stuffs.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 20, 2010 15:00 |  #7

mickee311 wrote in post #10757828 (external link)
I got the iP2600 from UPS today and because I'm an idiot and haven't bought a printer in years, I thought it would come with a USB.....Negative. I want to print! I hear great things about this one, though. I hope it does well with larger prints. But you can't beat free, which is how much it cost me :)

Jenn, what do you mean it didn't come with "a USB"? You mean a cable? I assume it has a USB port, correct? Cables can be gotten for pretty inexpensive, a quick run to an office supply store or any place that has electronics/computer "stuff".

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

mickee311
322 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 20, 2010 15:05 |  #8

The A to B cable, like 4 bucks, no biggie, but...... I didn't bring my POS car with me when we moved across the country, so I am stuck at home till the husband comes home. But he's bringing one home from work for me :)

Jenn
Canon stuffs.

Johnmos
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 21, 2010 02:23 |  #9

ChasP505 wrote in post #10756876 (external link)
The difference will be seen when you print larger prints.

http://www.on-sight.com …Onsight_BW_Eval​uation.zip (external link)

I uploaded a file to Canon to have it printed on a pro 9000, they will then send the print out to you so you can try out different printers to see the difference in the printing quality, i received the 6 x 4 print, but to be honest with you i was really dissapointed with it, it was no better than what my Epson R 360 can produce, i would have thought paying out for a quality printer like that the prints would be far superior.

Chas, what do you mean by the difference will be seen when you print larger prints..???...are you saying an A4 will look better than a 7 x 5.

Thank You.

mickee311
322 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 21, 2010 07:40 |  #10

Okay, this little $30 printer is amazing! Really, it is. I hooked it up last night, printed the largest print I could, plus 2 5x7 on one paper and it's flawless. Seriously. This is the best bang for my buck that I've found in a long time. I'll never go back to the line filled prints of my stupid Epson.

Jenn
Canon stuffs.

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 21, 2010 08:03 |  #11

Johnmos wrote in post #10760806 (external link)
Chas, what do you mean by the difference will be seen when you print larger prints..???...are you saying an A4 will look better than a 7 x 5.

If not, the walls of all our photo galleries would be covered with 5x7 and 4x6 prints, wouldn't they?

Consider that with a small print, you're printing smaller than the native image size, so data is lost and compressed. Plus, the mechanics of depositing tiny ink droplets on paper dictates that a large print will reveal more fine detail. So, when printing one of the many standardized test images available, either print it full sized, or print a 100% crop on 4x6 or 5x7 paper. Those test images are designed to really show the performance limits of a printer.

Chas P

sponsored links

1,710 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon printers are amazing!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.