Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Aug 2010 (Friday) 12:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Breakthrough Improvement in Your Photography

banpreso
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 20, 2010 12:32 |  #1

What are some of the occasions where you experienced breakthrough improvement in your photography? I hope we can share our experiences and learn from each other in this thread.

for me for 3 years i've had a rebel and was basically doing greenbox point and shoot, until a local concert promoter asked me to take photos of the concerts. i started reading up about iso and aperture, and got myself a 50mm f1.4 and a 100mm f2 and really start to get an understanding of the technicals.

and just looking at enough pictures on this forum. initially, i couldn't tell a good pic from a bad pic, good composition from a bad one. but eventually, just looking at enough pictures on this forum helped a lot.

and thirdly, recently i've had the opportunity to shoot every week, evaluating how i did and try to improve/ fix my mistakes the next week. also got a lighting kit and i'm following some photography blogs in lighting and doing some portrait sessions with friends.

i really wish my local bookstores and library has more henri cartier-bresson books :)

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
MrWho
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 20, 2010 12:55 |  #2

Mine was being forced into low light shooting where the ISO I would have loved wasn't really useful because of noise. That really was an exercise in hand holding (1/4, f/3.5, ISO 1600) which I had to underexpose by -2/3 to get. Different rooms had different levels of light so I was able to get different shutter speeds throughout the museum. Doing all that with the most basic of lenses, no flash and no tripod along with nothing to steady myself against really highlighted my needs more than anything up to that point. It was a real "oh, I could have used that!" experience.

Gear

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 20, 2010 12:59 |  #3

off camera flash

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,866 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 20, 2010 13:23 as a reply to  @ [Hyuni]'s post |  #4

My moment came many, many years ago when I was just starting out as a HS yearbook photographer. My yearbook monitor (teacher) had taken a nice picture of a young child squatting down at the water's edge of a stream and playing with some stick. The beach was really just thousands of small pebbles, but beyond the stream was a large sky scene of clouds, etc. He showed me (using a simple mask) what big difference there was in what the photo conveyed by masking out the horizon and clouds, and allowing the child to dominate the scene of the thousands of small pebbles. Then he masked out the waters edge, and the child suddenly became an insignificant object the the grand world-wide scene.

Same photo, different cropping. It taught me more in those few minutes about cropping and composure than many many years of self-teaching would have done.

My lesson? Other than the obvious knowledge on composure, I learned that we can learn so much from those wise individuals who come before us . . .

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,421 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Aug 20, 2010 21:07 |  #5

When it dawned on me that I need to start using flash almost always during bright daylight....

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 20, 2010 21:31 |  #6

SYS wrote in post #10759575 (external link)
When it dawned on me that I need to start using flash almost always during bright daylight....

+1. I didn't get into photography until about a year ago, before that it was just point and shoot. I can easily say that all of my epiphanies have come from reading books. The first was while reading "understanding exposure", that got me into really understanding the camera. The second was after reading "The Photographers Eye" which really opened my eyes to composition beyond the internet forum basics that are so often preached, the third was after reading "On Camera Flash" which has me now using my flash all of the time.
Granted I've read over a dozen books in the past year, but those three are the ones that gave me at least one "a'ha" moment.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Aug 20, 2010 21:36 |  #7

A tripod.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 20, 2010 21:51 |  #8

Planning concert shoots. I shoot much less, got more variety in my images, and don't have to hang around as long.

Attention to detail. Paying a LOT more attention to what is behind the subject and around and anything on the subject that is out of place and/or distracting. It's always some small detail that ruins a shot. Looser framing.

That's about it, I think.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,863 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 22, 2010 10:22 |  #9

When I learned to ignore my Mom's advice to shoot people with the sun behind me! :D

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Organic ­ Treats
Goldmember
1,012 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 22, 2010 10:48 |  #10

When I visited Guatemala for three weeks this summer and went around shooting all the great architecture and landscapes. My best photography yet. It forced me to learn a lot about my camera. :D

Jeremy
www.500px.com/jeremycu​pp (external link)
www.twitter.com/jeremy​cupp (external link)
www.jeremycupp.com (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/jeremykcupp (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 22, 2010 13:00 as a reply to  @ Organic Treats's post |  #11

only after I got in touch with my inner feelings...what a load of crap

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

buurin
747 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 22, 2010 15:37 |  #12

Off camera light
Shooting RAW & understanding processing in Lightroom

B
30D ● 5D ● Canon 24-70/2.8L
Canon 17-40/4.0L Canon 50/1.4 ● Canon 100mm/2.8 Macro ● 2xVivitar 285HVs ● 430EX ● Cybersync Flash Triggers ● AB800 ● AB400 ● Vagabond II

windpig
Chopped liver
14,886 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 22, 2010 15:59 |  #13

PhotosGuy wrote in post #10766163 (external link)
When I learned to ignore my Mom's advice to shoot people with the sun behind me! :D

Working with challenging lighting conditions has helped me the most.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

squirrelking101
71 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 22, 2010 20:01 |  #14

PhotosGuy wrote in post #10766163 (external link)

It is strange how those photos that really look cool are the ones that break the conventional habits.

My breakthrough was to erase all fundamentals of photography I thought I knew beforehand and straighten them out to an SLR. That means trial and error, no book, no trainer, no class. You want a picture to look a certain way? Once I got the triangle of ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed idealized in my head, I can go up to a scene and get ballpark range of what I want. That really increased my number of "Ooooo, me likey."

PS - It was about 4 months before I understood what metering modes really did and how to use/abuse them in respect to the triangle of exposure. Still yet to read Understanding Exposure.

Canon XTi | EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8II | Canon EF-S 55-250mm

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 22, 2010 21:25 |  #15

The really cool thing about living in the digital age is that we can play with this stuff and push all the buttons and try all the tricks and if it just doesn't work, it's just a load of 1's and 0's and who really cares?
My biggest breakthrough was realising that no matter how bad I fouled up, I hadn't wasted any film, and as long as I deleted the shots I hadn't even taken up any disc space or wasted any printer ink or paper. A little shutter wear and tear, and one more charge on a battery that still might outlast the camera.
Film was so much more unforgiving and the fear of wasted money was always a background inhibiter of being truly free and taking creative chances.
Digital is great, I can dive headfirst into techniques I know absolutely nothing about and have alot of fun doing it.

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

sponsored links

12,923 views & 6 likes for this thread
Breakthrough Improvement in Your Photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.