Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Aug 2010 (Friday) 23:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Printing with Pro9000 and DPP

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 20, 2010 23:53 |  #1

Hello folks.
I'm trying to print out of DPP and being very befuddled. Printing test images that fill the paper was easy; printing my own images the size that I want them to be is something else entirely!
I wanted to use DPP with Easy PhotoPrint Pro but when I went to print a 4x4 on 4x6 paper, EPP Pro insisted on elongating the image to fit the paper. This is the same thing that was happening on my iP2600 printer with EPP-EX, so maybe it's me. I hope so, otherwise I'd have to say that EPP-Pro is pretty unprofessional to dictate that your image size has to match your paper size.

So, you folks who print from DPP, how do you do it? Do you use EPP-Pro, or "print with detailed setting"? Or does anybody print from DPP?

Thanks

sponsored links
Edbee
135 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 21, 2010 07:54 |  #2

I print from DPP using EPP-PRO. I crop the picture to the size I intend to print in DPP and have no problems in EPP-PRO.

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 21, 2010 07:59 as a reply to  @ Edbee's post |  #3

You may want to consider investing a few bucks in Qimage printing software.

http://www.ddisoftware​.com/qimage/qimage.htm​l (external link)

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 21, 2010 10:20 |  #4

Edbee wrote in post #10761418 (external link)
I print from DPP using EPP-PRO. I crop the picture to the size I intend to print in DPP and have no problems in EPP-PRO.

In DPP, when I click on File>Plug in printing>Print with EPP Pro, the screen that comes up has settings down the left side and a big representation of the print on the right, showing the image stretched out to fit the 4x6 paper. I can't see any way to change that as long as I'm printing "borderless." The Canon people have told me that "it can't be borderless on only 3 sides." I say that as long as the image will fit the paper, I should be able to put it anywhere on the paper I want to.

Are you using borders? What printer are you using? (The driver of my Pro9000 is very similar to the driver for the iP2600 and I was really disappointed to find that.)

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 21, 2010 10:41 |  #5

ChasP505 wrote in post #10761425 (external link)
You may want to consider investing a few bucks in Qimage printing software.

http://www.ddisoftware​.com/qimage/qimage.htm​l (external link)

I'm thinking of taking up a new hobby that won't cost so much: Making paper airplanes out of $20 bills and flying them off the top of the Empire State Building.

It's just pathetic that the software that comes with a "pro" printer is almost identical to what comes with the most basic printer made for "point and shooters."

BobOh
Goldmember
1,157 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 21, 2010 10:49 |  #6

I usually use "print with detailed setting" when printing from DPP. I haven't messed too much with EPP-EX.

Regards,
Bob
Gear: 40D, 7D, EF 100-400L, EF 28-135, Speedlight 580EX and other stuff.
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bobbolew/ (external link)

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 21, 2010 11:08 |  #7

ncjohn wrote in post #10761952 (external link)
I'm thinking of taking up a new hobby that won't cost so much: Making paper airplanes out of $20 bills and flying them off the top of the Empire State Building.

There are certainly less expensive hobbies and MUCH more expensive. The thing is... most involve a big INITIAL expense, then you can go for years on maintenance and supply costs.

And, I agree with BobOh... use Print With Detailed Setting.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

Edbee
135 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 22, 2010 08:41 |  #8

Are you using borders? What printer are you using?

I'm using the Canon Pro 9000 II. I do use borderless printing with no margins. I haven't tried to shift the image on the paper, I just use the presets which do give me what I need.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 22, 2010 11:29 |  #9

Edbee wrote in post #10765817 (external link)
I'm using the Canon Pro 9000 II. I do use borderless printing with no margins. I haven't tried to shift the image on the paper, I just use the presets which do give me what I need.

Is this what your screen looks like? Notice that the thumbnail shows that the image is almost square, yet EPP-Pro fills the paper with it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 22, 2010 11:42 |  #10

ChasP505 wrote in post #10762043 (external link)
And, I agree with BobOh... use Print With Detailed Setting.

It's not just EPP-Pro; In this screen shot of "Print with detailed setting" the image is 1/2" square, but look how it fills the paper. There must be something somewhere that's set wrong, but I can't find it.
It would be much easier to just go to some other app, but I'd really like to find out why everybody else can print from DPP and get it to do what they want but I can't get it to do much of anything.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 22, 2010 11:59 as a reply to  @ ncjohn's post |  #11

John
Since you are printing an image that is smaller than the paper size, how about printing without the borderless instruction? Then just cut the paper before mounting the image?

I just got the Pro 9000 yesterday and have not used it yet...so I have no clue if I asked a proper question in regards to technical use.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 22, 2010 12:09 |  #12

pbelarge wrote in post #10766579 (external link)
John
Since you are printing an image that is smaller than the paper size, how about printing without the borderless instruction? Then just cut the paper before mounting the image?

Well, that's just avoiding the problem instead of fixing it. (Admittedly, sometimes that's easier.) But you see, in the case of the 4x4 on 4x6 paper, if you print it with borders, then it's not 4x4 anymore, because the drivers shrinks it a little to fit it inside the border.
The problem isn't about being able to print one specific image, it's about finding out why the problem exists in the first place.

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 22, 2010 12:21 as a reply to  @ ncjohn's post |  #13

Just an editorial comment... I think what's handicapping all our new users of Canon Pixma Pro 9000/9500 printers is there are so few long time Canon experts on POTN. There are many veteran Epson and HP printer users here, ready to offer sage advice, but you Canon users are breaking new ground with every problem that arises. Or maybe the Canon experts are choosing to remain silent...

Maybe we need a new FAQ sticky dedicated to Canon Pixma Pro printers...

Chas P

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 22, 2010 12:42 |  #14

ChasP505 wrote in post #10766705 (external link)
Just an editorial comment... I think what's handicapping all our new users of Canon Pixma Pro 9000/9500 printers is there are so few long time Canon experts on POTN. There are many veteran Epson and HP printer users here, ready to offer sage advice, but you Canon users are breaking new ground with every problem that arises. Or maybe the Canon experts are choosing to remain silent...

Maybe we need a new FAQ sticky dedicated to Canon Pixma Pro printers...

I sure hope you're right, Charles, because I'm starting to think I'm stupid.:( I like your assessment of the situation better.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 24, 2010 21:22 as a reply to  @ ncjohn's post |  #15

Well, I still don't have a clue what's going on with EPP Pro, but I least I figured out the problem with "print with detailed setting."
When you bring up that screen, there are 4 tabs: printer, image, text, and settings. The image tab shows you the size of your image and its position on the paper. It also allows you to change those things, which I didn't realize! Often a "resize" window will have little up-and-down arrows, or there will be something to tell you that's what the window is for, but in this case those things aren't there. I thought the image tab was just giving info, not allowing you to make changes. (Maybe because that's what happens when I try to make a borderless print using EPP Pro: It chooses the size for me and I can't find any way to change it.)

Anyway, another mystery solved, one left unsolved. Thanks for the input, folks.

sponsored links

4,188 views & 0 likes for this thread
Printing with Pro9000 and DPP
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.