Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Aug 2005 (Monday) 10:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #27 - Self Portrait - Winners

Boutty
925 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 15, 2005 10:46 |  #1

'Self Portrait' is a difficult subject to broach; not only do you have the technical challenge of trying to take a photo of yourself but you also may have to overcome your shyness or internet anonymity. I just thought it would be nice to put faces to the names. For this, I sincerely salute you.

Link:
http://www.photography​-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=90837

It's harder this round for me to pick the winners from all the great photos submitted. As far as I concerned all the shots are winners. But unfortunately I can only pick three.

First Place:
abat - "Public nuisance?"
This photo has all the elements I was looking for. A very smart way of composing the shot with background showed where this was taken and the focal point of the subject intelligently ended through the lens filter. Congratulations

Second Place: rpolitsr - "Mirror, mirror on the wall..."
Great shot through the mirror with lovely natural light and nice side shadow. It looks like a classical photographer's self portrait! Well done.

Third Place:
HungryWriter - "Looking down on creation..."
I like this photo of its great colours and lightings and very clever way of composing the shot. Are you sure this is not a shot from your security camera? Good job.

Others in order of appearance

Bryan Bedell
- brushy brushy
I think this is very cute photo and another clever idea of using the self timer. The photo is a bit out of focus as the camera seems to focus on the showerhead at the back. Wish my daughter would brush her teeth with me!

Marie - Post diffused pot shot
Perfect exposure but pity the focus is not there. I noticed that your shutter speed was 1/8 and hand held the camera? It's hard for a person to hand held a camera under 1/60 I was told. Might be you want to create a dream-like image?

Magicmikey - Do you like magic?
This photo has perfect lighters and studio setup. The magic performed is amazing. How come the balloon did pop? A top contender.

partridge9 - If You Could See What My Eyes Have Seen...
A very-sharp focus photo and interesting post-processing image. I am interesting of how did you get the image so sharp and what process you used. There must be a lot of story behind the eyes, please share with me.

Txfirebug - Me at work !
Another great background which tells me that where you work. I was a bit worries to see your username is Tx'firebug' but you are the one who put off the fire. Phew! Fantastic job you guys do and I salute you.

Dchemist - waiting at the bar
Yep, I have experienced this situation myself! A good thought and an interesting way of taking a self portrait. The flash light unfortunately spoiled the photo a bit.

Alexandre Gabriel - Macro portrait
Well I can sort of see your self portrait from your avatar. Pity my eye won't look as colourful as yours. Very nice macro shot Alex but it's only a segment of the portrait.

Zero - Portrait of the Photographer Fighting Evil
A very creative and different style of self portrait. It has perfect composition and the right mood for the title. Unfortunately I am not a great friend of weapon. Another top contender.

BottomBracket - What Do You Mean You Don't Like The Pizza?
Another creative photo with spot-on elements for the title. I hope my local pizza man won't frighten me with his tools like that! Another top contender.

Belga - Self Portrait - Student/Traveller/Golf player (G6)
Invisible self portrait? Can't judge on that. May be you forgot the 'upload' button?

Teekay - Warped Me
A very clever way of post-processing the photo with great textures. Thanks for sharing.

Sara - Me, sorta..
This is a very well exposed self portrait with good light. The focus lack a bit of sharpness and the composition of half a face did work well for me.

I'm apologise if I have been made bad decisions on your photos. Please let me know, I can only learn from them. [added] Since I have been most of your self porttrats; here's my mug shot. I'll name it "A Moment of Glory" ;)

Handover the duty to abat now.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
HungryWriter
317 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 15, 2005 12:56 |  #2

Thanks for running the challenge! It was a hard one to really figure out what to do that was unique and interesting. So many great pictures that I'm learning from!

[Canon SX200IS] [Canon SX170IS] * [Canon Rebel EOS T1i] [Canon Speedlite 420EX] [EF 35mm f/2.0] [EF 50mm f/1.4 USM] [EF 85mm f/1.8 USM] [EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens] [EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens] [Giottos MTL Tripod]
*Visit my DadWithAPen Blog (external link)*

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Aug 15, 2005 13:30 as a reply to  @ HungryWriter's post |  #3

Congratulations on being the #1 winner Abat,

congratulations too

# 2 winner Rpolitsr

and # 3 winner
Hungry Writer

am delighted you got there Abat
thank you very much Boutty
[SIZE=1][SIZE=2](where's your picture ?):lol:[SIZE=2] :p:lol:

you are dead on about mine
enjoyed all the pictures very much.

many thanks for all the fine words and work
looking forward to the next challange

~ Abat ~

Good Luck

~
later edit ~

thank you very much for adding your picture Boutty
love it
:)

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

teekay
Goldmember
2,972 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Aug 15, 2005 16:36 as a reply to  @ marie's post |  #4

Congratulations to the winners! Also to Boutty who chose them in the exact order I would have done myself. Most interesting to see some of the faces behind the familiar names on this forum.

sara
109 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 15, 2005 17:01 |  #5

Thanks Boutty for this challenge. Enjoyed all of the shots. Congratulations to the winners.

I especially enjoyed Bryan Bedell and abat's shots. abat: what a strong image, can't think of one criticism if I had to; it's great. Bryan Bedell your shot is beautiful, I love the colors and the not quite in focus is actually a positive for me; also the expressions on each of your faces is perfect.

I found myself "staring" at these shots for quite some time, just absorbing them.

http://www.sophoto.ca (external link)

abat
355 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Aug 15, 2005 17:12 as a reply to  @ teekay's post |  #6

Boutty, I don't know what to say! Thank you very much for choosing my shot. Congratulations to rpolitser and Hungry Writer for your places and to everyone for sharing so much of yourselves. There's probably nothing harder than getting a photograph of a photographer especially taken by the photographer themselves!

I'm busting to hear from MagicMikey about his shot - the lighting was great and I've just got to know about that balloon! And Zero, that was such a strong shot - I have just finished reading the Otori Trilogy and you've brought it to life for me. And how many G-series photogrpahers wear glasses and have buzz cuts? Maybe we need a poll.

"Public nuisance" is how I feel when I'm prowling the train network and the city with my camera. That morning there was nothing going on to photograph so on the spur of the moment I turned the swivel screen and made myself the target for a change.

I'm going to have to wrack my brains over a follow up. Let me see .......

G5, 30D, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Kenko 1.4x and 420EX.

Bryan ­ Bedell
377 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 15, 2005 18:13 |  #7

Thanks, Boutty, nice work. I totally agree with abat in first, a shot that sharp and well-composed is tough in the studio, but to do it on a (probably bouncy) train in front (presumably) of strangers is great. I wish I had more guts about getting in the way to take photos in public, I always see good photos but feel like a dork pulling out a camera and tripod and making a big deal about it. So "Public Nusiance" indeed, ha.

Sara, thanks for the props.

I thought I might actually place for once when it was Saturday morning and only a couple other entries. Rats. heh.
Bb.

rpolitsr
5,949 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 15, 2005 19:01 |  #8

As you wrote, self Portrait is a difficult topic, Boutty. I feel that for some reason most of the people (particularly that living in big countries and/or big cities) are reluctant to post their own image. You got a very nice collection of self portraits, congratulations!

Great shot, abat! The light, the train, the lens between you and the camera, there is a lot of creativity there, and skill, a difficult shot at 1/10 sec!

Congratulations HungryWriter! Nice angle, and you are a good actor.

Creativity is what I enjoyed most in all the self portraits.

Mine was classic, yes, (or just common?). I was lucky to get a very nice light from the window. Thank you Boutty.

magicmikey very professional. The magician, the lights, the self portrait and the punctured balloon!

Congratulations to all.

Nice to meet the real faces of people posting here!

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Zero
73 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 15, 2005 20:05 |  #9

Congrats to all the winners! I have to say this was a really tough challenge for me. I don't usually like to show my face online, but how could I resist the challenge? I am actually impressed so many people braved it. It is probably the only clear photo of me that is public! I was trying to be a bit serious - but some of the other shots I tried had me laughing. Everyone who knows me has been giggling over it.

and as others have said:
It is so very nice to meet the faces behind the camera. (or at least a good part of them!)

I think I have to agree with the judge's choice. Abat's photo had an element of humour, had great lighting and as well it is in black and white! Lovely. And rpolitsr, your smiling face just makes me want to smile. I like the angle of your shot HungryWriter... but i would be so scared to do that to my camera!

I think you did a great job on judging Boutty. I think the other photos I liked as well were Sarah's 1/2 portrait. Magicmikey - your shot is really great. The lighting is so even and without reflections or glare. Awesome shot.

Regarding my own - i was wandering around looking for something to "do" in the photo and decided to take a shot to send to my friend who gave me his second Katana. His wife is always asking me for a photo, so this way I can give them this shot as a reminder of our practices. It was quite difficult, and my grip is less than perfect - but thank goodness for the rotating screen! Made it easier.

Thanks again Boutty for your choice of challenge. I see you've carried on the tradition of posting up your own photo! Very nice shot and you have a great smile.

so ...
now i wonder what is next?!

magicmikey
968 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 15, 2005 20:34 |  #10

There were some really great shots in this challenge. Creativity abounded! My own publicity shot seemed so standard compared to the others. Thanks for the positive comments and congratulations to everyone who posted a self-portrait.

Michael

txfirebug
91 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 16, 2005 05:54 as a reply to  @ magicmikey's post |  #11

Congrats to the winners ! Like others said I was a bit apprehensive about submitting a self photo and am glad to see so many others did. Very cool to see the faces behind the cameras. Great shots everybody.

abat
355 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Aug 16, 2005 07:02 as a reply to  @ sara's post |  #12

Thankyou everyone for your kind words about my photo - Marie, Sara, rpolitsr, Bryan, Zero. I'm getting close to setting a challenge so stay tuned.

G5, 30D, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Kenko 1.4x and 420EX.

Boutty
THREAD ­ STARTER
925 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 16, 2005 07:26 as a reply to  @ abat's post |  #13

I'd like to say thanks everyone for your supports and poping in to leave such kind comments! Hope some of our regular challengers who missed out this could come back and have fun with us. As I have 'rested' for a week now, I am really looking forward to the next challenge. ;)

BottomBracket
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Aug 16, 2005 19:05 |  #14

Congratulations on the winning pictures! Great job, Boutty, and kudos too to everyone that joined. It is rather difficult to take a picture of oneself, let alone post it online, but I am glad for this challenge because I can put a face to the names I see online. Speaking of online, I haven't been logging on as much as I would like to these past weeks. Dang work competes with photography!

I found all interesting, but somehow my favorite was Marie's. I kinda like the dreamy soft focus look, I used to smear vaseline on a lens filter to get that look, back when I was younger, shooting film. Oh, HungryWriter, is that a Dell 700m you are using?

Rest assured I that I am not as violent as my pic would suggest. I have several pics where I am neatly combed and dressed, but I wanted something wackier and showing some of my cooking utensils (I love to cook). If you think it was a ridiculous shot ( I think it is ) you should see the one where I have a steel colander on my head.....

Off to the next challenge!

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eye (external link)
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Aug 17, 2005 02:33 as a reply to  @ BottomBracket's post |  #15

BottomBracket wrote:
Congratulations on the winning pictures! Great job, Boutty, and kudos too to everyone that joined. It is rather difficult to take a picture of oneself, let alone post it online, but I am glad for this challenge because I can put a face to the names I see online. Speaking of online, I haven't been logging on as much as I would like to these past weeks. Dang work competes with photography!
I found all interesting, but somehow my favorite was Marie's. I kinda like the dreamy soft focus look, I used to smear vaseline on a lens filter to get that look, back when I was younger, shooting film. Oh, HungryWriter, is that a Dell 700m you are using?
Rest assured I that I am not as violent as my pic would suggest. I have several pics where I am neatly combed and dressed, but I wanted something wackier and showing some of my cooking utensils (I love to cook). If you think it was a ridiculous shot ( I think it is ) you should see the one where I have a steel colander on my head.....
Off to the next challenge!

Bottombracket , no worries
your avatar kept me grounded:lol::lol::lol:
let's see the steel colander shot;)

your shot and Zero's were very clever and well done as were all of the entries
enjoyed them all very much but I have to say I nearly died when I saw what was needed
:shock:
after all the posts came on...............

it threw me completely realising maybe something dramatic was the request
I was going to slip mine off right then and just leave off it rather then having put Boutty in a spot having to comment (and no 'event' to talk of):lol:
then decided to leave it when I looked again at rpolitsr's, and any like it

it was the hardest picture I ever had to take
but others done it fine
thanks Boutty for the challenge.
no harm done:lol::lol::lol:
I forgive you
I love the shot of yourself which you kindly put on later
you are the image of my nephew
who is always great fun

thanks all

by the way, for anyone who never knew , a lot of the forum's faces are on the mug shots (two posts) over the past while

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

sponsored links

4,653 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #27 - Self Portrait - Winners
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.