Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 Aug 2010 (Monday) 18:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

File Transfer and Memory questions

ajaffe
792 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 23, 2010 18:19 |  #1

Hey everyone,

So if a camera like a 1DMkIIn states that it is USB 1.0 then does that mean that I can use a USB 2.0 card reader as well? It shouldn't matter as long as I am using a standard CF card correct?

Further, I have read that the MK2N has compatibility issues with Vista and only works with XP and before. So I shouldn't have any issues with image transfers if I use a card reader correct?

Thanks.

www.jaffe.photo

sponsored links
jgogums
729 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 23, 2010 18:25 |  #2

go forth and transfer with confidence... :)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 24, 2010 01:50 |  #3

Card readers are "Plug And Play" devices and need no special software/drivers. But I would definitely advise you to get the best/fastest card reader you can (and high quality cards). Do a 500 image shoot on one card and you will have a huge difference in download times between USB 1 and USB 2 and even more with say Firewire 800.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 24, 2010 11:19 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #4

I would think you'd be hard pressed to find a USB 1.0 card reader for sale anymore.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 24, 2010 11:33 |  #5

ChasP505 wrote in post #10778781 (external link)
I would think you'd be hard pressed to find a USB 1.0 card reader for sale anymore.

Hey, I could mail you one for cheap:)!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
792 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 24, 2010 12:10 |  #6

Cool, thanks everyone. I just went ahead and bought one of those 17 in 1 readers that are USB 2.0 so that I will not have to worry about transferring off the camera itself ever.

www.jaffe.photo

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 24, 2010 16:51 |  #7

ajaffe wrote in post #10774444 (external link)
So if a camera like a 1DMkIIn states that it is USB 1.0 then does that mean that I can use a USB 2.0 card reader as well?

Not sure I see the relevance of the question, since the card reader won't ever be connected to the camera anyhow ;)

USB2 card reader will be fine (and way faster then transfer from camera to computer) :)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
792 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 24, 2010 17:07 |  #8

René Damkot wrote in post #10780781 (external link)
Not sure I see the relevance of the question, since the card reader won't ever be connected to the camera anyhow ;)

USB2 card reader will be fine (and way faster then transfer from camera to computer) :)

I think I was mixing two concerns into one regarding memory card compatibility. I don't know though, sometimes I brain fart and post on the internets.

www.jaffe.photo

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 24, 2010 18:30 |  #9

ajaffe wrote in post #10780861 (external link)
I think I was mixing two concerns into one regarding memory card compatibility. I don't know though, sometimes I brain fart and post on the internets.

Yeah, it happens:)!

Memory cards have their own internal speed and so "don't care" about things like USB. A fast card will be "happier" with a fast card reader, though, so USB 2 at the minimum. Newer cameras are now USB2 devices, but of course even better is the newer Firewire 800! The older Firewire 400 is about on a par with USB 2 if the USB 2 port/bus is working at full speed...

Tony

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 25, 2010 11:16 |  #10

ajaffe wrote in post #10780861 (external link)
sometimes I brain fart and post on the internets.

Love this quote :-)

HankScorpio
Goldmember
2,700 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 25, 2010 13:28 |  #11

ajaffe wrote in post #10774444 (external link)
Further, I have read that the MK2N has compatibility issues with Vista and only works with XP and before.

That's not entirely true. There is one issue, the MkII uses Firewire for connecting to EOS utility (used for tethering and to change the user settings in the camera), it cannot make a connection over USB. The problem with that is, Canon do not make 64bit Firewire drivers (they don't make 64bit anything because they like living in the 90s).
That's only an issue if you use a 64bit operating system (XP included).

This doesn't affect USB in any way and the MkII will happily transfer images over USB on Windows 7 64bit and everything below just not very quickly so a card reader is the best and easiest method.

If you do need to use EOS utility over Firewire and have no access to a 32bit operating system then you should be able use Microsoft's Virtual PC (free excluding 32bit OS disk) to install a 32bit OS and run it under Vista. Windows 7 Ultimate has XP mode which will emulate a 32bit XP machine natively to do the same thing.

My collection of boxes with holes (external link)
EXIF semper intacta.
Gort! Klaatu barada nikto.

sponsored links

1,498 views & 0 likes for this thread
File Transfer and Memory questions
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.