Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2010 (Tuesday) 14:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Err 99 on my 40D ..ah..well...

asty80
585 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 24, 2010 14:30 |  #1

Got the dreaded err99 issue on my 40D yesterday.
Looked at all the threads here and tried all the tricks suggested including removing all accessories, charging my batteries, trying different modes, live view. The error still persists though and I will be calling Canon tonight to send it in.
The warranty is up and so I'll end up paying lots :((

Can anybody who had this problem and got it fixed without sending it to Canon suggest any other alternative I may have missed?
Thank you.

Canon 5D Mark iii, Canon 40D
24-105mm f/4 L IS, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 100-400L, 100mm macro, 430ex ii, SLIK 700DX tripod
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/shyamyag (external link)
:)

sponsored links
PicBug
644 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 24, 2010 14:53 |  #2

When I got my error 99 and called Canon, the tech I spoke with walked me thru all the possible issues. I still had to send it in. Out of the deal I got a new shutter assembly and circuit board. Mine wAs out of warranty too. Good luck!

my little gallery (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)
Diamond Willow Photography Website (external link)
Canon 6D,Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 DiVC, Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 135L, Sigma 85 1.4 EX DG HSM, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM, 430EX II, Sigma 24-70 2.8, LR5 Editing

shaftmaster
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 24, 2010 14:58 |  #3

One thing to try is cleaning the battery contacts in the camera and on the battery. It fixed an intermittent Error 99 problem on my 5D.

Paul

Gear -- Flickr (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 24, 2010 15:05 |  #4

I had the dreaded ERR 99 in May. I tried everything, as that's something we know when we shoot pro. E-mail the service center, and sent the 40D in. It was the shutter assembly, and they completely fixed it and cleaned it, put the new firmware in it and then offered me the 50D for $600 if I wanted to trade it in. I didn't bite. I love my 40D. For $200, it was fixed and ready to shoot again. This is the usual cost of any repair for an ERR 99 message. Count your blessings if it's that. :)

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 24, 2010 20:22 as a reply to  @ SuzyView's post |  #5

I had two Err99 with my 20D and Sigma EX 50-150mm f/2.8 within a week.. I cleaned all electrical contacts including battery contacts.. This was two years ago,, hasn't happened since..

Not the end of the world..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

asty80
THREAD ­ STARTER
585 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 24, 2010 20:49 |  #6

So I called Canon and he asked me to click a pic with only the battery in and no accessory. Tried that and got the err 99 immediately :(
So he said the only option is to send it in and also gave me the option for upgrade and told me to call a sales rep. So thank you SuzyView, for the headsup about the cost of 50D upgrade.

Looks like I will be out the $200. and hope thats it!

Canon 5D Mark iii, Canon 40D
24-105mm f/4 L IS, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 100-400L, 100mm macro, 430ex ii, SLIK 700DX tripod
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/shyamyag (external link)
:)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 24, 2010 22:03 |  #7

Make sure you have it insured when you send it. I sent mine to the Norfolk Service Center, but the NJ one is probably closer to you and is wonderful. I've dealt with them before. Give it 10 days, and you'll have it back.

My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Dan ­ C
783 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 24, 2010 23:31 |  #8

SuzyView wrote in post #10782410 (external link)
Make sure you have it insured when you send it. I sent mine to the Norfolk Service Center, but the NJ one is probably closer to you and is wonderful. I've dealt with them before. Give it 10 days, and you'll have it back.

Does canon require insurance?

To the OP: what do you think of the loyalty program? in your case it might still cost less to fix it since the 40D is relatively new.

5D2 || Σ 50 1.4 || 24-105L || 430EX ||
Gear and Feedback || Smugmug (external link) || I prefer to receive emails instead of PMs; please send me an Email by clicking my username.

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 25, 2010 06:20 |  #9

It doesn't require it, but they advise it.

RiaGurl
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 25, 2010 13:09 |  #10

to DAN C. i tried to respond to you but you don't allow messages. does that even makes sense that you would send a private message asking me what "tagged" means and disallow people to reply back to you???

think!

if you don't know what tagged means then google it. i was typing a really nice reply until your idiotic no replies allowed message. that's all i have to say. enjoy your forum stay.

pm'ing people asking questions and then not allowing them to pm you back. ridiculous. go join some other forum. what kind of games you playing.

VictoRia:roll::D
Canon 20D,40D gripped,50D gripped,7D gripped
A flash for each^. 2x580EX II, 1x430EX II, 550EX
Bunch of glass.:)
Bunch of accessories.

Dan ­ C
783 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 25, 2010 13:29 |  #11

RiaGurl wrote in post #10786294 (external link)
to DAN C. i tried to respond to you but you don't allow messages. does that even makes sense that you would send a private message asking me what "tagged" means and disallow people to reply back to you???

think!

if you don't know what tagged means then google it. i was typing a really nice reply until your idiotic no replies allowed message. that's all i have to say. enjoy your forum stay.

pm'ing people asking questions and then not allowing them to pm you back. ridiculous. go join some other forum. what kind of games you playing.

It's pretty clear from my signature that I don't want to receive PMs and that I'd like email instead. If you want to send me a message, feel free to send an email.

Gear and Feedback || Smugmug (external link) || I prefer to receive emails instead of PMs; please send me an Email by clicking my username.

RiaGurl
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 25, 2010 13:40 |  #12

when did you post that in your sig?

oh so you will send pm's but expect people to email you back? hypocrite. when you pm the least you can do is include a message about no messages...but you dont. again, think! no wonder you dont know what tagged means. no more comments from me you had enough attention.

Bunch of accessories.

Dan ­ C
783 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 25, 2010 13:47 |  #13

RiaGurl wrote in post #10786444 (external link)
when did you post that in your sig?

oh so you will send pm's but expect people to email you back? hypocrite. when you pm the least you can do is include a message about no messages...but you dont. again, think! no wonder you dont know what tagged means. no more comments from me you had enough attention.

The PM, by default, shows your signature. That has been in my signature ever since I turned off PMs. I'm sorry you didn't see it.

RiaGurl
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 25, 2010 14:00 |  #14

so by your logic, everyone read the signatures all the time or often enough...then everyone should also know what lenses or cameras you, me, or someone else has as well correct....they don't even need to look, right.

Bunch of accessories.

eninety
383 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 25, 2010 14:02 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

canon loyalty program here u come!

sponsored links

4,352 views & 0 likes for this thread
Err 99 on my 40D ..ah..well...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.