Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2010 (Tuesday) 14:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Err 99 on my 40D ..ah..well...

asty80
THREAD ­ STARTER
586 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 01, 2010 15:21 |  #16

So, got the expected amount of $180 + $20 shipping and my camera should be home tomorrow.
Yippee! The loyalty program didnt work for me since they offered the 50D for $750.

Canon 5D Mark iii, Canon 40D
24-105mm f/4 L IS, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 100-400L, 100mm macro, 430ex ii, SLIK 700DX tripod
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/shyamyag (external link)
:)

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 02, 2010 05:12 |  #17

Dan C wrote in post #10786397 (external link)
It's pretty clear from my signature that I don't want to receive PMs and that I'd like email instead. If you want to send me a message, feel free to send an email.

If you want an email reply from someone here, send an email. Forcing members to respond to your PM via email is the height of rudeness, as it exposes their email address to you while keeping your email concealed from them. For all they know, you may be collecting email addresses for spamming purposes. I, for one, would simply ignore any requests from someone with such an attitude.

For the Mods,

Jon

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Dan ­ C
783 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 02, 2010 09:15 |  #18

Jon wrote in post #10835381 (external link)
If you want an email reply from someone here, send an email. Forcing members to respond to your PM via email is the height of rudeness, as it exposes their email address to you while keeping your email concealed from them. For all they know, you may be collecting email addresses for spamming purposes. I, for one, would simply ignore any requests from someone with such an attitude.

For the Mods,

Jon

Not everyone has the "accept email from members" turned on. In those cases I send a PM and ask that they reply by email.

5D2 || Σ 50 1.4 || 24-105L || 430EX ||
Gear and Feedback || Smugmug (external link) || I prefer to receive emails instead of PMs; please send me an Email by clicking my username.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Sep 02, 2010 09:20 |  #19

Try it with a different lens. I got the error message with my 20D years ago. It was due to a broken lens.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 03, 2010 15:16 |  #20

Dan C wrote in post #10836257 (external link)
Not everyone has the "accept email from members" turned on. In those cases I send a PM and ask that they reply by email.

Then turn on PM until you hear back from them, at which point you may ask them if the discussion can move to email (furnishing the email address you wish to use). You clearly did not make that request in this particular case, and no, including a blanket "I don't want PMs" in your signature is not adequate. The point is, it's sheer rudeness to expect someone to communicate with you via email if they have expressly selected to not be contacted by email. They have selected that option for the valid reason that they don't want to get into email discussions. If you don't want to get into PM discussions with someone who has chosen not to get into email discussions then perhaps you had better ask a different person. If you want to initiate a communication with someone, it is up to you to allow that communication to continue via the route in which you started it. If you'll only allow communication via email then don't send PMs to people.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Sep 04, 2010 03:36 |  #21

Dan C wrote in post #10836257 (external link)

It is quite simple really. If you send PM's then you must accept PM's back. You cannot force anybody to expose their email to you like this.

But you are rigth not everybody WANTS to use email. Even I have turned off accept email from members. Simple because I do not want to expose my email address to just anybody that decides to choose email to start a communication with me.

There is a simple solution to this though. We can remove your capability to send or receive any PM's. Then this problem will not occur again.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

sponsored links

4,377 views & 0 likes for this thread
Err 99 on my 40D ..ah..well...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.